Quix Goes Smart Pots & Dirty Coco - Slee Skunk & Chemmy Jones

re: Quix Goes Blue Planet Nutrients - Smart Pots & Dirty Coco - Slee Skunk & Chemmy Jones

My guess as to why UBT is "lower stress" is that you allow plenty of time for the plant to develop a nice root system before you chop over half the plant down (don't throw it out, make your first clone to keep as a potential mother if you like the strain/phenotype). "Regular topping" removes the top of the plant before it has created many roots and growth stalls. This is just my guess, I've never noticed any "stress" or slowing of growth when I topped, but I was always UBT, even before I knew the name. I always let them grow then pull a nice clone and flower out the seed to see how it works.....

re: Quix Goes Blue Planet Nutrients - Smart Pots & Dirty Coco - Slee Skunk & Chemmy Jones

Sounds like a nice night out for the anniversary.

Your plants look really good. 8 or 9 weeks veg sounds good, I let my Lemon Lazerlite go that long and she made a nice sized bush.
Thanks a bunch HMG, I like the longer veg too, but my pots are small...don't want them to get root bound, but with smart pots it should help aleviate the binding. We shall see. Thanks for the kind words, always good to see you Brother!

Great start to the new grow, Brother Quix! :welldone:
+REPS

Topping is considered "HST" (HIGH stress training) and does take a little longer for the plants to recover. You may want to try LST to get more tops without slowing down growth. I have also found that UBT-style topping allows for very quick recovery, with virtually no slowing in growth rate. I'm not sure why this is so, but the plants do seem to recover much quicker topping this way.

Hey K.! Thanks for the kind words and reps Brother:high-five:

I'm going to touch on the subject of UBT a few posts down, please see that post and chime in with any thoughts...I am familiar with the technique, but I may be doing it wrong...? Thanks again for stopping in, always good to see you too!

so can you please say more about ubt style?:peace:dont want to put my nose where it dont belong. just havent heard of ubt:peace:

Hey fish cake, no worries...No such thing as putting your nose where it doesn't belong, here in my journal. Any and all questions are welcome, and as you can see, there are a great group of people here who are willing to help, whenever possible.
UBT is short for "Uncle Ben Topping". It refers to a grower who is pretty well known on the net, and his famous method of topping...See the next few posts for more info on that, but mean while, you can check out the link posted by OMM a few posts back, to read up on it! Thanks for stopping in and for joining the conversation:Namaste:

thank you and I did check out that thread. thats sweet and something that im might try :peace:

My guess as to why UBT is "lower stress" is that you allow plenty of time for the plant to develop a nice root system before you chop over half the plant down (don't throw it out, make your first clone to keep as a potential mother if you like the strain/phenotype). "Regular topping" removes the top of the plant before it has created many roots and growth stalls. This is just my guess, I've never noticed any "stress" or slowing of growth when I topped, but I was always UBT, even before I knew the name. I always let them grow then pull a nice clone and flower out the seed to see how it works.....

I agree 420% Brother OG. Here's the problem I'm having.
I've been doing exactly that. I let the plants get to about 5-7 nodes, giving them enough time to establish a healthy root system, then top just above the 2nd true node...Codyledons do not count as a true node, this I know. I employed this method on my last plants, and still did not end up with 4 tops, but rather, had to top again to achieve 4. The same appears to be true of this run. Not only that, but they are taking an extremely long time to recover. Now, while in veg, my plants have to be closed up with no ventilation, which brings the heat up to around 84 degrees F, which may be contributing to their stasis, but I hadn't thought that 84 would stunt them. I'm learning that, in conjunction with the topping, the heat is just one extra stressor that the plants aren't happy about dealing with. That being said, it still doesn't explain why I'm only getting 2 tops when using this method. The auxins, in theory, are supposedly redistributed to the shoots below the node that has been topped, and should create 4 new tops...Its just not working that way. It sounds simple enough....
  • To get 4 main colas, let your seedling or cutting (clone) grow to about 5-6 nodes and pinch out (cut) the stem just above the 2nd true node. The node where the cotyledons attach doesn't count. The result will be a redistribution of the auxins and other hormones that normally collect in the tissue of the terminal leader's tip. These ho moans will be redistributed to dormant buds that reside in the nodal axis where the leaf petiole attaches to the "trunk", below the cut. The new foliar output response will be quick (within 24 hrs., see photo below) if you have a healthy growing seedling and will be your future main colas - 4 instead of the usual 1:​

Not sure why its not working....

I have used LST in the past, and found it to work well, and I am now considering that method for all future runs, if I can't seem to get the hang of the UBT...Your thoughts everyone??

subd mate, i never heard of it either, but if it speeds things up then me wants to know,

Hey there Don, or, Paul, lol...What can I call you for short?? Nice to have you:welcome:
There should be some good information in this journal, so feel free to stick around!

rekon I may have done this tho not a great example tomarow i will post a pic of my one plant witch has 4 colas and some other nice bits before she gets chopped thursday:peace:

call me what you like as long as its not offensive, lol, my names paul but i had to change my screen name as it was easy to figure out who i was so got it changed to something else, just stops people using g@#gle and searching for screen names, its caught loads of people out, basically any site you use a screen name on can be searched and located, when i typed in mine it came if with pages and pages of sites with my screen name associated with it, so thought i best change it to stop it coming up in any search, but paul or don, i dont mind either, its both in my full name,

any info i can get that will help me in future is always good, and been a top grower like you are i think i could learn quiet a lot,

call me what you like as long as its not offensive, lol, my names paul but i had to change my screen name as it was easy to figure out who i was so got it changed to something else, just stops people using g@#gle and searching for screen names, its caught loads of people out, basically any site you use a screen name on can be searched and located, when i typed in mine it came if with pages and pages of sites with my screen name associated with it, so thought i best change it to stop it coming up in any search, but paul or don, i dont mind either, its both in my full name,

any info i can get that will help me in future is always good, and been a top grower like you are i think i could learn quiet a lot,

Cool, paul it is...I have a tendancy to nick-name people sometimes, so don't be surprised if one day I call you something different.
I appreciate the kind words my friend, but please know that I am by no means a top grower...I do...OK, and have a few nugs to be proud of, but I'm no where close to the ranks of people like Doc Bud, or Mr. Smith, Abberation, XLR8, OMM, OG13 even though we can't see his work, Twelve12, Old Med Man, just to name a few. I like to think of my skill as being decent, for what I have to work with, and I also like to think that given the right setup, i.e. space and environmental breathing room, I'd kick some serious ass at this. But alas, I am but a lowly closet grower, with much still to learn. But I do thank you kindly for the compliment. Hopefully there will be some who can learn from my journals.:Namaste:

no probs mate, but its growers like you that i learn the most from, thats why i keep checking in on all these journals, im only growing in a 3ft by 3ft space so not to small but not huge, the more i pick up and learn the better my grow will be, but i take a huge risk to get my meds but it makes my life easier so its more than worth it, i may ask dumb questions and piss people off, i try and pass on as much as i pick up to other people and if it helps another person then thats all that matters, like teSmp hooking me up with nutes, well i managed to return the favour to another grower on here who is in same country as me, he is just starting his first grow and is using very basic stuff to grow with and struggling to find what he needs, so been as i have upgraded to a 400watt dual spec hps i offered him a few of my cfls and fittings and some mylar, and he is over the moon about it, so im chuffed i managed to return the favour to another grower then hopefully he may do the same further down the line, im posting the items out to him tomorrow or the day after, he is trying to grow some autos, ive told him to introduce himself on my journal so people can check his journal out and give him any help and advice, this site by far is the best for this, other sites sit their slagging each other off and laughing basic growers off the site but here everyone is welcome no matter what your method is, thats why im here and not on another site, its the only site i ever come on now. Because of this i have got a few very nice and healthy plants growing that are well into flower, and im chuffed about how the plants look and are turning out, ill end their before i take up a whole page in your journal

no probs mate, but its growers like you that i learn the most from, thats why i keep checking in on all these journals, im only growing in a 3ft by 3ft space so not to small but not huge, the more i pick up and learn the better my grow will be, but i take a huge risk to get my meds but it makes my life easier so its more than worth it, i may ask dumb questions and piss people off, i try and pass on as much as i pick up to other people and if it helps another person then thats all that matters, like teSmp hooking me up with nutes, well i managed to return the favour to another grower on here who is in same country as me, he is just starting his first grow and is using very basic stuff to grow with and struggling to find what he needs, so been as i have upgraded to a 400watt dual spec hps i offered him a few of my cfls and fittings and some mylar, and he is over the moon about it, so im chuffed i managed to return the favour to another grower then hopefully he may do the same further down the line, im posting the items out to him tomorrow or the day after, he is trying to grow some autos, ive told him to introduce himself on my journal so people can check his journal out and give him any help and advice, this site by far is the best for this, other sites sit their slagging each other off and laughing basic growers off the site but here everyone is welcome no matter what your method is, thats why im here and not on another site, its the only site i ever come on now. Because of this i have got a few very nice and healthy plants growing that are well into flower, and im chuffed about how the plants look and are turning out, ill end their before i take up a whole page in your journal

Well I'm glad you've found your home here at :420: and am glad to hear you've been able to help another grower out. That's what this place is all about. Just don't go posting videos of yourself talking, here in my journal...If my wife hears it she may leave me for you with that blasted accent of yours!!:rofl:
Kidding, good to see you mate..

ive not done no more videos yet, but i might, i think i sound like a right thick idiot, but most people do think that about the accent where i live, im glad someone likes it, so reps for your mrs, tell her ill let her know when ive made another video, pmsl.

I agree 420% Brother OG. Here's the problem I'm having.
I've been doing exactly that. I let the plants get to about 5-7 nodes, giving them enough time to establish a healthy root system, then top just above the 2nd true node...Codyledons do not count as a true node, this I know. I employed this method on my last plants, and still did not end up with 4 tops, but rather, had to top again to achieve 4. The same appears to be true of this run. Not only that, but they are taking an extremely long time to recover. Now, while in veg, my plants have to be closed up with no ventilation, which brings the heat up to around 84 degrees F, which may be contributing to their stasis, but I hadn't thought that 84 would stunt them. I'm learning that, in conjunction with the topping, the heat is just one extra stressor that the plants aren't happy about dealing with. That being said, it still doesn't explain why I'm only getting 2 tops when using this method. The auxins, in theory, are supposedly redistributed to the shoots below the node that has been topped, and should create 4 new tops...Its just not working that way. It sounds simple enough....
  • To get 4 main colas, let your seedling or cutting (clone) grow to about 5-6 nodes and pinch out (cut) the stem just above the 2nd true node. The node where the cotyledons attach doesn't count. The result will be a redistribution of the auxins and other hormones that normally collect in the tissue of the terminal leader's tip. These ho moans will be redistributed to dormant buds that reside in the nodal axis where the leaf petiole attaches to the "trunk", below the cut. The new foliar output response will be quick (within 24 hrs., see photo below) if you have a healthy growing seedling and will be your future main colas - 4 instead of the usual 1:​

Not sure why its not working....

I have used LST in the past, and found it to work well, and I am now considering that method for all future runs, if I can't seem to get the hang of the UBT...Your thoughts everyone??

Try some experimentation on your next run. If you're consistantly getting only two tops, you're probably topping one node off. So, try a couple and top one of them one node higher and the other one node lower. See if you get different results. One of the nice things about UBT is that it does tend to be highly predictable (unlike FIM, for example) once you have it down! :goodluck:

Mr. Krip said:
Try some experimentation on your next run. If you're consistantly getting only two tops, you're probably topping one node off. So, try a couple and top one of them one node higher and the other one node lower. See if you get different results. One of the nice things about UBT is that it does tend to be highly predictable (unlike FIM, for example) once you have it down! :goodluck:

Agree completely, also, I like OG13's point about letting them get roots developed. UBT is just "topping" done at a certain time, once the plant has reached a specific level of maturity. Oh, and Quix, you grow hella nice plants, and in the cramped quarters you work with?!!! What did I tell you about not selling yourself short? ;)

I really envy your skills, often. That's the truth.

Hey Quix. I agree with X. You are a good, good grower Buddy.

Think Mr. Krip hit it on the nail, with experiment a bit with UBT. Veg a bit more and get some strong roots going and then try it. I will have to say, it's strange that you only get two tops each time. Keep on trying my Friend! :thumb:

Quix, for what your working with you do a frickin stand up job my friiend. Don't ever let anyone tell you different

Hey Quix, don't panic, experiment. If LST works better, by all means, do that. I'm a fan of LST for filling a space. I do believe your conditions are leading to your "stasis". 84 is warm, especially with no fresh air/ventilation. 84 is fine if you are using CO2. 2 vs 4 tops could be a genetic thing, although you are mixing it up each time with different strains. Some plants don't respond well to topping.....

Duly noted:Namaste:

Agree completely, also, I like OG13's point about letting them get roots developed. UBT is just "topping" done at a certain time, once the plant has reached a specific level of maturity. Oh, and Quix, you grow hella nice plants, and in the cramped quarters you work with?!!! What did I tell you about not selling yourself short? ;)

I really envy your skills, often. That's the truth.

Yeah, I tend to sell myself short a lil from time to time...Thank you for the kind words my friend, truly:Namaste:
I'm pretty sure I'm topping at the right place, and, by the time they have 6 and 7 nodes, they should be pretty well established. I even waited longer this time, to make sure that the lower shoots were more mature...Heck, I don't know. I think I'll try Mr. Krip's suggestion and top one node higher next time...I don't want to discount a tried and true method until I've tried it every way possible...

Back
Top Bottom