Quix's Corner - Puddle-o-Green - NL & Bag Seed - Indoor Soil Experiment

Re: Quix's Corner-"Puddle-o-Green"-NL&Bagseed Indoor Soil Experiment

Ok guys. Those of you who are or have used, the OC+, what is the plus? I finally made up my mind to do a side x side, half soil w/OC, and half without. I went to the store to get some, but there were two kinds. Neither had a + on them. One was fruits and veggies(which I almost got) And the other was just indoor/outdoor plants...What am I missing?

Hey Quix I'm in..I'm running basically the same size space as you 23"x27". Have you considered a Scrog? Great way to maximize your space for a great yield. Feel free to check out my journal -- first grow I used both OC+ and DM red (both CRF's). They work great for Hempy!

:peace:

Hey Quix I'm in..I'm running basically the same size space as you 23"x27". Have you considered a Scrog? Great way to maximize your space for a great yield. Feel free to check out my journal -- first grow I used both OC+ and DM red (both CRF's). They work great for Hempy!

Hey Marley:welcome: I've seen ya around, good ta meetcha!
I did plan to try a sog, and haven't done much reading on the scrog method yet. I'm really not even sure how it works. I'll def stop by n see what you have going on. Thanx for stopping by and dont be a stranger!

Ok guys. Those of you who are or have used, the OC+, what is the plus? I finally made up my mind to do a side x side, half soil w/OC, and half without. I went to the store to get some, but there were two kinds. Neither had a + on them. One was fruits and veggies(which I almost got) And the other was just indoor/outdoor plants...What am I missing?

Hey Q congrats on NL seedling #2 :yahoo:

OC+ has NPK and all the micronutes too. If you use the regular OC you'll have to provide the micronutes between your soil and supplements. If you have good soil I'll bet regular OC would be fine. In perlite OC+ is almost mandatory.

I found mine at Ace Hardware, if they don't have it you can buy it at acehardware.com and they ship it free to the store nearest you.

You can do the same thing with walmart but I'm not sure if they carry it.

Also just saw it at Meijers.

Happy Hunting :bong:

Well, our friend Blue has answered your question, which is good. :)

Using OC+ with FFOF is just fine too, in fact OC will work because FFOF has some micro organisms in it. Your good to go!:grinjoint:
Thanks for the compliments.....I just try to help....same as when I was just starting out and people helped me out.......and still are.

Hey Q congrats on NL seedling #2 :yahoo:

OC+ has NPK and all the micronutes too. If you use the regular OC you'll have to provide the micronutes between your soil and supplements. If you have good soil I'll bet regular OC would be fine. In perlite OC+ is almost mandatory.

I found mine at Ace Hardware, if they don't have it you can buy it at acehardware.com and they ship it free to the store nearest you.

You can do the same thing with walmart but I'm not sure if they carry it.

Also just saw it at Meijers.

Happy Hunting :bong:

Sooooo, I know I should be doing more of my own research, but between work and relaxing, and my girl doing school work on the computer, I really just dont have time. I figure the micro nutes we're talking about here are, copper, zinc, nickel, boron, manganeese, calcium/magnesium, so on and so forth right? Tell me I'm off and I swear I'll do my due dilligence and figure this thing out without making you guys do all my home work for me! Seriously, I dont want to be that lazy guy who wants the fruit without the labor(Well...Kinda-ish...) Anyway, I dont think I would even bother doing the OC without the +! I realy am excited to try OC+ in my soil, Doc's got me inspired. All the bennes of the crf, with the ability to keep your strains' terpenes, smells, flavors and so on....I'll be getting some next week one way or the other...oh and we dont have that last store you mentioned here as far as I know, but Ill be hitting up all the others!:peacetwo:

Well, our friend Blue has answered your question, which is good. :)

Using OC+ with FFOF is just fine too, in fact OC will work because FFOF has some micro organisms in it. Your good to go!:grinjoint:
Thanks for the compliments.....I just try to help....same as when I was just starting out and people helped me out.......and still are.

Hey OMM, I still got a case o the NOOBS goin on, so every decision feels like a big one ya know!? I bet I could totally just go down and pick up some oc, (without the +) and have it work with my soil...But...There'll always be that nagging feeling in the back of my mind, that "I coulda done better" for my plants. It's gotta be a noob thing. So, If I do what I did last grow, with at least a few KNOWN improvements, then I'll know I did my best. But for some reason, I just GOTTA have the +! :rofl: Its almost obsessive lol.!! TTYS

Sooooo, I know I should be doing more of my own research, but between work and relaxing, and my girl doing school work on the computer, I really just dont have time. I figure the micro nutes we're talking about here are, copper, zinc, nickel, boron, manganeese, calcium/magnesium, so on and so forth right? Tell me I'm off and I swear I'll do my due dilligence and figure this thing out without making you guys do all my home work for me! Seriously, I dont want to be that lazy guy who wants the fruit without the labor(Well...Kinda-ish...) Anyway, I dont think I would even bother doing the OC without the +! I realy am excited to try OC+ in my soil, Doc's got me inspired. All the bennes of the crf, with the ability to keep your strains' terpenes, smells, flavors and so on....I'll be getting some next week one way or the other...oh and we dont have that last store you mentioned here as far as I know, but Ill be hitting up all the others!:peacetwo:

Yeah don't be THAT GUY lol! I get the same way, hate to ask a question that's probably answered in the thread somewhere but there's only so many hours in the day.

You're exactly right, the OC+ has all the micronutes. But keep in mind it's designed for use in soil, which generally has trace elements present also, so it doesn't provide all that the plants need. That's why most hempy/oc+ growers supplement with cal/mag.... unless they're lucky enough to have decent amounts of both in their tap water the oc+ simply doesn't provide enough.

Hey OMM, I still got a case o the NOOBS goin on, so every decision feels like a big one ya know!? I bet I could totally just go down and pick up some oc, (without the +) and have it work with my soil...But...There'll always be that nagging feeling in the back of my mind, that "I coulda done better" for my plants. It's gotta be a noob thing. So, If I do what I did last grow, with at least a few KNOWN improvements, then I'll know I did my best. But for some reason, I just GOTTA have the +! :rofl: Its almost obsessive lol.!! TTYS

OC+ - the quest continues! I was the same way. I couldn't find it anywhere and ended up buying regular OC at first... then 2 days later I found the OC+ so now I have a 99% full thing of OC. I'm going to use it on my tomatoes this year.

Yeah don't be THAT GUY lol! I get the same way, hate to ask a question that's probably answered in the thread somewhere but there's only so many hours in the day.

You're exactly right, the OC+ has all the micronutes. But keep in mind it's designed for use in soil, which generally has trace elements present also, so it doesn't provide all that the plants need. That's why most hempy/oc+ growers supplement with cal/mag.... unless they're lucky enough to have decent amounts of both in their tap water the oc+ simply doesn't provide enough.

OC+ - the quest continues! I was the same way. I couldn't find it anywhere and ended up buying regular OC at first... then 2 days later I found the OC+ so now I have a 99% full thing of OC. I'm going to use it on my tomatoes this year.

I'll have to consider it then...

So my buddy, to whom I gave a couple seeds to, chopped the one that made it a few days ago. He calls me just a little while ago n says, "Dude, I'm jarring this stuff up, and there's seeds!..." LOL. He only had the one plant, and seemed highly confused by this. I've tried to explain this scenario to him before, but he's a serious stoner with selective hearing so....

This is also how I believe the seeds I got came to be. NOW, my question is, Is the hermie situation how they make femmed seeds? AND, does this make the future generations more likely to herm out?

I believe the answer to both questions is yes. Just trying to confirm if anyone knows for sure....

So my buddy, to whom I gave a couple seeds to, chopped the one that made it a few days ago. He calls me just a little while ago n says, "Dude, I'm jarring this stuff up, and there's seeds!..." LOL. He only had the one plant, and seemed highly confused by this. I've tried to explain this scenario to him before, but he's a serious stoner with selective hearing so....

This is also how I believe the seeds I got came to be. NOW, my question is, Is the hermie situation how they make femmed seeds? AND, does this make the future generations more likely to herm out?

I believe the answer to both questions is yes. Just trying to confirm if anyone knows for sure....

From what I understand there are good hermies and bad hermies. Good hermies are normal, healthy females that are forced to hermie by various means.

Bad hermies have the trait genetically and don't need to be stressed to turn. If you've got a bunch of plants that are going hermie I would not want to use those for any future breeding project.

From what I understand there are good hermies and bad hermies. Good hermies are normal, healthy females that are forced to hermie by various means.

Bad hermies have the trait genetically and don't need to be stressed to turn. If you've got a bunch of plants that are going hermie I would not want to use those for any future breeding project.

Hey Blue thanks, but do you know whether or not the hermies are where fem seeds come from?

So it's been a long weekend. Hung out with an old friend for drinks on Friday night, and it's been spring cleaning for the last two days. Apparently my thumb is greener than I thought. I grew things I didnt mean to, IN THE FRIDGE! Just kidding but you all know how it is when you start cleaning in places you haven't looked in a while.

I'm actually starting to get a little concerned about the new sprouts. The bagseed didnt crack after a week, and I got curious. I wondered if maybe they were too old and hard to crack, so I helped them! Yeah, you can guess where that ended up. I knew it would destroy them, but I wanted to see if they were trying to develop, and I think they were. Now the NL, they cracked last tuesday, but thats ALL they've done. The last 4 NL from the same bag, cracked, and had long tap roots by now. I dont even want to bother with planting if they're only going to be weak and problematic. Thoughts anyone?

Hi Quixilvir :)

Your in a area that I'm not sure about. I have had only one plant that turned hermie on me. I killed it right then.
On the other hand, I have had seeds in buds after harvesting and I will try those, I understand that there is a good chance that these seeds are normal and female. It's been a while since I went into the "How to grow" section and read up on it. Sorry, but the truth is, I'm so stoned, if I went there, I wouldn't remember a thing. That would be a good place to start looking. :grinjoint:

Hey Blue thanks, but do you know whether or not the hermies are where fem seeds come from?

Yes Q that's where they come from... a 'normal' female without hermie tendencies is either light stressed or exposed so some kind of silver solution to induce male flowers. That pollen is then collected and used to pollinate other 'normal' females, and the seeds produced will be almost all female.

Where trouble arises is when females that hermie more or less naturally are used as the pollen donor. These plants seem to have genetic tendencies to hermie that they pass along to the next generation.

So long story short, if you have a plant that hermies on it's own, I would not consider that a good breeding parent.

I love the overlooked science project in the fridge! Is that the one that somehow got pushed to the back and you don't even want to try to save the bowl it was growing in?:rofl:

I have no input on hermies!?! I've had only one and it was a Single GodsGift seed that I got in a nug so I had nothing from the same plant to compare to. If you and your friend are both having problems with the same batch of seeds then I think it would be more genetic.

Hi Quixilvir :)

Your in a area that I'm not sure about. I have had only one plant that turned hermie on me. I killed it right then.
On the other hand, I have had seeds in buds after harvesting and I will try those, I understand that there is a good chance that these seeds are normal and female. It's been a while since I went into the "How to grow" section and read up on it. Sorry, but the truth is, I'm so stoned, if I went there, I wouldn't remember a thing. That would be a good place to start looking. :grinjoint:

Yes Q that's where they come from... a 'normal' female without hermie tendencies is either light stressed or exposed so some kind of silver solution to induce male flowers. That pollen is then collected and used to pollinate other 'normal' females, and the seeds produced will be almost all female.

Where trouble arises is when females that hermie more or less naturally are used as the pollen donor. These plants seem to have genetic tendencies to hermie that they pass along to the next generation.

So long story short, if you have a plant that hermies on it's own, I would not consider that a good breeding parent.

Hey guys thanks so much!!! Haven't had much time lately to look into these things, and even if I did, my fiance has the computer tied up much of the time. Otherwise I'd look more of this stuff up myself I swear! We'll see with these next few if the genetics, or my buddy's growing style(Or lack thereof) are the cause of this hermie. So far it's an isolated incident, as his was the only one with seeds. I gave him 2 more seeds as well, so we should have another 4 to add to the study. Thanks OMM, 52 and Blue again, Hope you guys all have good things going on, and have a good night!

Hey guys! Thanks for checkin in on me:) I gotta tell ya, I'm sad to say there's been little in the way of progress. The beans are so slow in popping, I'm really starting to think this may be a dissappointing run. The two bag seeds I tried to germ, well I destroyed those out of curiosity, and with how long these 2 NL are taking, I'm wondering if it's indicative of weak plants. I've heard that seeds can take up to 2 weeks to even pop, but I germed 4 of the same batch last time, and they were crazy fast. For all I know, i may just be blowing things out of proportion, but it has me a little discouraged. So, Ill drop them in some quart pots on friday, with a mix of Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 soil(a sample I got from the hydro store) and 50% perlite. I'll let em get some sturdy roots going for about 2 weeks, then they'll go into 3 gallon pots with FFOF and perlite.
I'll get a pic up of the seedlings before planting, and of course there'll be more to see once they break ground. Still haven't gone anywhere to find OC+, which I'd love to try in a side by side, but maybe this weekend. To be honest I wish I had a few other strains to try, but that'll have to wait til next run. I DO have a wish list though, starting with strawberry cough, and strawberry diesel. Aroma (not aurora) is another, along with vanilla kush, Kushage, and a couple variations of the Bubble Gum strains...Hope all is well everyone, and hope to have more time and more things happening soon:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom