Quix's Corner - Puddle-o-Green - NL & Bag Seed - Indoor Soil Experiment

Aaron Quix

So It begins...

Hey everyone! This will be my second small grow(And I mean small). I consider this run my"What I've learned"Grow... I just finished my first, 2 NL girls with some very surprizing results,(No journal for that one sorry) and am looking forward to improving my skill, and having a bit of fun with this one. Im going to try my hand at cloning, topping, maybe a little supercropping if the circumstances call for it, etc. etc.

I'm less uptight about this one, which I'm sure is the case with most growers as they build their skill set and confidence. This should make for a more enjoyable experience, with fewer "Panic Moments"!!

I'd like to say a quick but big:thanks: To every 420 member who has taken the time to respond to my questions, and be there for support while on my quest for knowledge about our beloved art. I've managed to read through Many pages of members' journals, some of which are freaking lengthy! There are a few VIPs, some know who they are, who I hope will be by frequently. ALL are welcome of course, and any and all input is greatly appreciated. So feel free to drop in with your 2 cents,open and free discussion is encouraged and cross chatter is perfectly ok! And enjoy!!

Without further adue...

What Strain is it? 2xNorthern Light &2xBagseed
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Really not sure, but NL is a hybrid for sure...
How Many Plants? Starting 4 mothers-hoping for 12-15 clone sog
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Started germ on 3-27-11
If in Vegetative Stage... How long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil-
If Soil... What is in your Mix? 50-50 FFOF and Perlite
If Soil... What Size Pot? To be determined...
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? Starting with 125 actual watt 6400k CFL
Is it Air Cooled? Eh, Kinda, see pics
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Should stay between 68 and 80 depending on time
RH of Room/Cabinet? 35-50
PH of Medium none yet
Any Pests? Not yet:wood:
How often are you Watering? When they get dry duh!
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Strongly considering OC+, but have and will use Superthrive, MagiCal, Great White mycorrizae, beneficial bacteria, trichoderma and vitamins for veg, and possibly FF Grow big as well. Also, kelp and molasses are on the list too. For flower I'll be using FF Tiger bloom, and Snow storm is a possibility as well.
Size or Square Footage of Room? :rofl::rofl::rofl:...2x2 footprint!!!...x6' high or so.

The future lies in these...
the top two are bagseed from a friend who's kept them for years, who knows if they'll even pop. The bottom two are NL...
P3270008.JPG

Got my new soil over the weekend, still deciding if I'll use OC+ or not...
P3270009.JPG

And here's a shot or two of the "Corner" Very primitive, but I think I can make it work to my advantage...
P3270003.JPG

P3270006.JPG

You gotta give mad props to whoever decided it would be a good idea to put an electrical outlet in a closet!!
P3270004.JPG

P3270005.JPG

The fan in the back is used to vent the heat from the top of the area, still need to tweak that system a bit, maybe get some duct to take the heat to the other side of the closet so its not just recirculating onto the tops of the plants...

Anyway this is what I'm starting with, and its not going to get much fancier than that. The budget dictates the amount of fun, so basically i'm staying small, and fairly simple. The Updates for now might be fewer and farther between than later on in the grow, obviously there won't be a whole lot happening until the beans pop. But feel free to drop in anytime and say hello, I'll always try to be a good host!! If you have a question, feel free to ask it, and chances are that if I don't know the answer, I'll know someone who does, or someone reading this will.

For now I'd like to get as many oppinions as possible regarding OC+, How to's, pros and cons etc. Keep in mind I Will be using soil and perlite, not the hempy method, although I'm seeing great things done with it. I just cant get away from the the smells and flavors thing, its kind of a hang up I suppose. It seems that all my favorite growers here are using it though, so I may actually just be looking for that extra little push to use it...Now off to the hydro store!

Re: Quix's Corner-"Puddle-o-Green"-NL&Bagseed Indoor Soil Experiment

I'm subbed for this one.

I wish I could give you more advice on the OC+ but I only been using it a little over a month. So far no complaints. After reading many hours about Hempy and OC+ I had to try it. Just like everyone has said simple, I have really done nothing with my girls and they look very healthy. I truely believe everyones advice you can grow great plants with OC+.

I'm subbed for this one.

I wish I could give you more advice on the OC+ but I only been using it a little over a month. So far no complaints. After reading many hours about Hempy and OC+ I had to try it. Just like everyone has said simple, I have really done nothing with my girls and they look very healthy. I truely believe everyones advice you can grow great plants with OC+.

Hey PBRMJ:welcome: Thanks for stopping in! Ill have to stop by and see your girls. I'm pretty sure I want to try it, just not sure if it's in the budget yet! I'm sure i can think of two or more people who'll be chiming in on this, and then I'll know for surre what I'll do...

:popcorn: ..you had me at CFL :)

Those CFL's will try and sneak in some heat when you're not watching...are you using the same setup as your last grow? Any heat issues then? A fan between the light and your canopy will do wonders!

The OC+ is getting used in many threads around here, look at DocBud's and HempRocket's journals to name a small few. I planned on using the OC+ next round after all of the good results i've seen. Plus it's easy to use :)

:goodluck:

:popcorn: ..you had me at CFL :)

Those CFL's will try and sneak in some heat when you're not watching...are you using the same setup as your last grow? Any heat issues then? A fan between the light and your canopy will do wonders!

The OC+ is getting used in many threads around here, look at DocBud's and HempRocket's journals to name a small few. I planned on using the OC+ next round after all of the good results i've seen. Plus it's easy to use :)

:goodluck:

Hey dirt!(can I call you that for short?) Thanks for stopping by and:welcome:
Dude YES! I've followed BlueDogs journals for months now, and he turned me on to Doc's...I'm only half way through Doc's current grow as we speak, SO much to read plus all the other journals I'm subbed to. I still have to check out Hemp's, the least I could do, as he's been of help to me too.

I agree, the heat DOES have a funny way of creepin up, especially with the warm weather coming. Yes, I'll be using the same set up. Here's the rundown because i think I left it out at the beginning.

I'm using 1x125w 6400k cfl, 4x 4' T-12 florescent tubes in 2 bulb fixtures stood in opposite corners of the space for supplimental, plus up to 8 23-40w spiral cfls for additional suppliment. Total of about 490 watts. I DID have issues with heat for about the last month of the grow, had a slight addiction to adding cfls. I owe that in part to watching Bue's grow! But with my limited space and venting capabilities, it became troublesome. I plan to get some ducting going from the exsisting fan on top to take the heat farther away, and with summer coming I'll be putting the ol A.C. in the windoe of the room to assist...

Hey dirt!(can I call you that for short?) Thanks for stopping by and:welcome:
Dude YES! I've followed BlueDogs journals for months now, and he turned me on to Doc's...I'm only half way through Doc's current grow as we speak, SO much to read plus all the other journals I'm subbed to. I still have to check out Hemp's, the least I could do, as he's been of help to me too.

I agree, the heat DOES have a funny way of creepin up, especially with the warm weather coming. Yes, I'll be using the same set up. Here's the rundown because i think I left it out at the beginning.

I'm using 1x125w 6400k cfl, 4x 4' T-12 florescent tubes in 2 bulb fixtures stood in opposite corners of the space for supplimental, plus up to 8 23-40w spiral cfls for additional suppliment. Total of about 490 watts. I DID have issues with heat for about the last month of the grow, had a slight addiction to adding cfls. I owe that in part to watching Bue's grow! But with my limited space and venting capabilities, it became troublesome. I plan to get some ducting going from the exsisting fan on top to take the heat farther away, and with summer coming I'll be putting the ol A.C. in the windoe of the room to assist...

:) I get called all sorts of things, dirt, dirty ears (Thanks Hydrologist), it's all fine with me. I am kind of partial to "dime" now though ;)

That is a lot of lighting in there, you should get some great results. I have a bit of a CFL addiction too...I just put 6 42W bulbs in for flower with my 6 23 watters, for 390 total watts and they do work!

Do you have any pics from your last grow? I'd love to see how those lights worked for you:high-five:

Keep up the good work!

:) I get called all sorts of things, dirt, dirty ears (Thanks Hydrologist), it's all fine with me. I am kind of partial to "dime" now though ;)

That is a lot of lighting in there, you should get some great results. I have a bit of a CFL addiction too...I just put 6 42W bulbs in for flower with my 6 23 watters, for 390 total watts and they do work!

Do you have any pics from your last grow? I'd love to see how those lights worked for you:high-five:

Keep up the good work!

"Dime" it is bro, although variations thereof may surface from time to time!
Here are a few shots from the last run...
PB240014.JPG

I didn't take a whole lot of great shots between there and flower, thats why the time lapse...
P21100031.JPG

P2040102.JPG
P30200151.JPG
P2110016.JPG
P2040103.JPG

P3020028.JPG
P3020015.JPG

P2220019.JPG
P3020029.JPG
P3180025.JPG
P3150021.JPG

Congrats on getting the journal started Quixilver:goodluck:

You know I'm in for this one:popcorn:

That is cool that the closet is set up with power:high-five: and I think 2x2 will do just fine......for now:)

Thanks man and a big:welcome:...And yes, "For now!"...But I can see where this ends up going...It can be quite consuming!

Holy Crap! That's too awesome, great job! :high-five:

+rep on that, how much was the yield?

So my main light was starting to flicker, like the regular floros do when they're at the end. I contacted SunLeaves, and was met with quick response. The guy told me to return the bulb to my hydro store and that they would reimburse the hydro shop for the return. This is all very cool. So I go to return the bulb a little while ago, and managed to crack the bulb a little whilt I was unscrewing it!!:oops: I figured this would void the warranty, and of course when I got there, my fear was confirmed. BUT, my guy takes the display bulb he's had running for 6 months and gives it to me! Saved by a little good karma! This should get me through veg, as I'll probably only veg for 8 weeks instead of 12 this time!!

Holy Crap! That's too awesome, great job! :high-five:

+rep on that, how much was the yield?

Thank you kindly sir, believe it or not I only got about 2.5 zips total from 2 plants. They were slightly airy, and that will be something I work on during this grow. I'm thinking of going with a small 150w HPS during flower this time, or a 200w 2700k CFL

Thank you kindly sir, believe it or not I only got about 2.5 zips total from 2 plants. They were slightly airy, and that will be something I work on during this grow. I'm thinking of going with a small 150w HPS during flower this time, or a 200w 2700k CFL

The HPS will throw some density in for sure. Have you seen MacGyver's thread, he's using a 200W CFL and those girls are looking sweet!

:Namaste:

The HPS will throw some density in for sure. Have you seen MacGyver's thread, he's using a 200W CFL and those girls are looking sweet!

:Namaste:

No I'm not familiar with him yet, thanks for that. I'll have to swing by there too...

Super nice lookin colas :) + reps on the colas and the start of the journal.

Not sure I would go with the big 200w cfl. You already know that the 125s put off a little heat so can you imagine what a 200w will put off. I think you will be surprised at how low the temps of a 150w HPS will be and with cfls for side light you should be able to bring your yield #s up quite a bit.

But to be perfectly honest I still haven't produced anything near the quality of my first two clones under cfls. It might have something to do with the fact that everything else afterwards has been bagseed so I'll see what the AK, NL, and Aurora bring;)

Thanks a bunch 52!! Yeah, ya know, that's kinda what I was thinking; My hydro guy just got through tellin me that I wouldnt notice the difference with the hps over the CFL I have now, in terms of heat. He did say, however, that There would be nearly TWICE the lumens/sqft...Now, I'm no expert, but for only 25 additional watts and the same price, not to mention the increase in usable light would be the way to go. I'm just not so sure that the HPS truely puts out that extreme of an increase. I obviously have some research to do!

As for the NL, they really have a beauty to them, through every phase. Some serious colas as you can see, and the colors and resin were awesome to look at too. you should enjoy them a lot, although I'm not sure of your other strains growth patterns...Oh wait, yes I do! I almost forgot we had that conversation!
Your girls should all be about the same right? Any NL that's been grown properly, should be a pleasure to smoke. I would have prefered more density, but then again I flowered under a 125w 6400k!..Not a good flowering bulb. The taste is still smooth, and the high is pretty comfortable. I've had Aurora, but it wasn't from the best grower, and I personally experienced a good deal of couch lock with it. And Ive seen but never tried the AK, although from what everyone is saying its a great strain! I really am interested to see how your whole grow goes, particularly Those NL! I'll be watching, Catch you later Bro!

So It begins...

Hey Q I made it! I love your little space, and you should give yourself a huge pat on the back for growing those beauties in there :bravo:

I don't know if you're following Bandit420's grow but anyone stopping by here, it's pure awesomeness. One thing he does is put up towel racks on the walls and you can hook cfl's on clamps and fans with clamps, I think that might really be a good idea for you.

That space is perfect for a sog btw.

You're not kidding about heat and cfl's, I had a shitload of them but they raised the temp in my room 25 degrees. Luckily it was a winter grow but you need to plan for that & it looks like you have, especially with a/c. That will really help summer humidity issues too.

Are they feminised seeds? Do you know if the bagseed is from good smoke? You can easily get 15 clones from 2 NL's, you could get 15 from one.

I for one will not try to talk you into hempy, I love it but I'm actually itching to try some soil again now that I have a vague idea of what I'm doing. However I am concerned about the smell issues so right now it's on the back burner.

You know my feelings on OC+, I doubt I'll ever give that up. Plus it's optimized for soil, where there are plenty of micronutes available, so you won't have to worry about supplementing with cal/mag. The way Doc now uses it, when he does, makes a lot of sense to me. It's the main engine but then he uses other teas and such to complement it.

Here's why I love it so much - I'm not experienced enough as a grower to trust myself. If I see leaves acting up I don't know if I've overfed or underfed. And usually I make the wrong guess and make the problem way worse. You also never need to wonder when to start feeding. It works great for seedlings and clones too, you just mix it in and somehow it knows to make the nutes available when the plants need them. I really like not having to even think about nutes anymore, just supplements.

I see lots of these grows where these poor guys are fighting all kinds of problems, I wanna tell them to just throw some oc+ in there but different strokes for different folks, makes the world much more interesting!

Doc thinks it can extend flowering and I was thinking the same thing as my grow went on, but I think of it as allowing the plant to finish on it's terms. The typical feed/flush cycle forces it to finish on your terms since it's starving.

If you watched my grow, the plants did finish 10-14 days after the seed catalogs said. But they grew a lot right up to the last week. So if extending flower means more yield I'm good with that.

Sorry to go on and on, good luck I think you'll set up very well :cheer:

Hey Q I made it! I love your little space, and you should give yourself a huge pat on the back for growing those beauties in there :bravo:

I don't know if you're following Bandit420's grow but anyone stopping by here, it's pure awesomeness. One thing he does is put up towel racks on the walls and you can hook cfl's on clamps and fans with clamps, I think that might really be a good idea for you.

That space is perfect for a sog btw.

You're not kidding about heat and cfl's, I had a shitload of them but they raised the temp in my room 25 degrees. Luckily it was a winter grow but you need to plan for that & it looks like you have, especially with a/c. That will really help summer humidity issues too.

Are they feminised seeds? Do you know if the bagseed is from good smoke? You can easily get 15 clones from 2 NL's, you could get 15 from one.

I for one will not try to talk you into hempy, I love it but I'm actually itching to try some soil again now that I have a vague idea of what I'm doing. However I am concerned about the smell issues so right now it's on the back burner.

You know my feelings on OC+, I doubt I'll ever give that up. Plus it's optimized for soil, where there are plenty of micronutes available, so you won't have to worry about supplementing with cal/mag. The way Doc now uses it, when he does, makes a lot of sense to me. It's the main engine but then he uses other teas and such to complement it.

Here's why I love it so much - I'm not experienced enough as a grower to trust myself. If I see leaves acting up I don't know if I've overfed or underfed. And usually I make the wrong guess and make the problem way worse. You also never need to wonder when to start feeding. It works great for seedlings and clones too, you just mix it in and somehow it knows to make the nutes available when the plants need them. I really like not having to even think about nutes anymore, just supplements.

I see lots of these grows where these poor guys are fighting all kinds of problems, I wanna tell them to just throw some oc+ in there but different strokes for different folks, makes the world much more interesting!

Doc thinks it can extend flowering and I was thinking the same thing as my grow went on, but I think of it as allowing the plant to finish on it's terms. The typical feed/flush cycle forces it to finish on your terms since it's starving.

If you watched my grow, the plants did finish 10-14 days after the seed catalogs said. But they grew a lot right up to the last week. So if extending flower means more yield I'm good with that.

Sorry to go on and on, good luck I think you'll set up very well :cheer:

No no, Blue, Please go on n on!:welcome: An honor to have you here, and your input is valuable! Not just to myself either; I'm 100% sure there are going to be plenty of noobs like myself reading this journal, due to the fact that its a small begginner's grow. And again, Thank you for the kind words

Here's the deal with the seeds. The NL came from a jar at my dispensary(Club/Co-op as they're known in cali) The jar had buds, but was discounted by a lot. The guy didn't even want to show me the meds. I asked him why it was so cheap, and he tells me that it's got seeds in it due to an accitental polination! So I'm like:idea:...Anyway, the smoke was alright, and he charged me less than half price for a half eighth. I found a good 30 seeds! I gave 2 to a friend, both started, only one made it; it was female. I germed 2, both female. I'm thinking the "accidental" polination was from a hermaphrodite, which I'm not sure but it seems like I read that that's how fem seeds are created???or am I way off? Anyway, as soon as these get vegging I'll know how good my luck is:bitingnails:

The bag seed came from a friend who has saved seeds for around 20 years whenever he finds them in really good smoke. So really, they might not even be viable. But i do know that the smoke was good, whatever it was or he would'nt have saved them. I know its a total shot in the dark, but I'm feelin lucky.

I agree with the theory of OC extending the flower period, although I have NO experiece with it; It just makes more sense than not. BUT!!! I the idea of set it and forget it, with little maintenance, is appealing to me. I want to try a small amount of OC+ in my soil, and use smaller amounts of the other nutes along with it. I may be over complicating the situation, and should probably only do one or the other. I did buy the FF Grow Big today though, and I gotta say I'm excited to have it over the MG garbage I used last veg!!:peacetwo:

Hi Quixilvir. :)

You maybe a beginner, but you've done the research and it shows by your setup. Well, done my friend. I agree with everything BlueDog told you.

I have 2 OC+ grows behind me and I love it. It just makes growing easier for me.
The less I have to worry about the better. As for your light the more lumens the better. The results of your first grow is awesome! You are certainly doing a first rate job! :high-five:

Hi Quixilvir. :)

You maybe a beginner, but you've done the research and it shows by your setup. Well, done my friend. I agree with everything BlueDog told you.

I have 2 OC+ grows behind me and I love it. It just makes growing easier for me.
The less I have to worry about the better. As for your light the more lumens the better. The results of your first grow is awesome! You are certainly doing a first rate job! :high-five:

Hello OMM!!:welcome: Thank you kindly for the kind words!! An honor to have you! I've been through some of your grows, and was very impressed.(I'm very sorry but i've yet to COMPLETE any of your journals:oops:...there's just so much there!!...But I'll get around to it!)

I'm wondering which way to go on this grow; I'll be using FFOF soil and perlite for sure, I'm just trying to decide if adding OC to the mix is something I want to try. I'm kind of excited to try the FF Grow big, because I used MG Tomato last time! I wonder if it would be prudent to add OC+ to my soil/perlite mix, AND use the other nutrients I want to use, only in smaller doses.

Again thanks for stopping in, great to meet you!

First update!! Sorry I couldn't resist. Not much of an update, but I was excited. One of the NL beans cracked this morning, after 48 hours in the paper towel. Thats one thing I've noticed about NL, They REALY WANT to grow!

First update!! Sorry I couldn't resist. Not much of an update, but I was excited. One of the NL beans cracked this morning, after 48 hours in the paper towel. Thats one thing I've noticed about NL, They REALY WANT to grow!

Make that Both NL have cracked!:party: Now the bagseed, IF they crack, I know that it may take some time; they are old, and may not crack at all...

Back
Top Bottom