Rabbit poop is here to stay!

April 12, 2020

Update on growing in droppings with only water/ no nutrients after 4 days.

All 4 seedlings look healthy. For my feeling (and it is only a slight feeling, plants 1 & 2 (on the left) are a fraction bigger than the other 2, it is hard to say. The 2 plants with only 10% droppings (on the left) took up a bit more water, but the soil of those two was more wet, don’t know if that has something to do with it.
april12_6.jpg

april12_7.jpg

I will water them back to their original weight and see in a few days.

This is probably a better picture.
april12_8.jpg

The 2 on the right (50% droppings) are a little darker it looks.

......The meat injector is very handy, it has a scale on it and a max. volume of 30 ml. I have put 100 ml of my concentrate in 900 ml of tap water. The big advantage of the injector is, that you can dose accurate without having to touch the tea with anything else. I suck up from the bucket and discharge the injector into the 1 liter bottle. It is just great, I bought it online on Amazoloulou.canada and I paid CAD$ 9.19, two day shipping per courier included…. :cool: (I have prime)
I could not find an injector with a needle at Walmart or Canadian tire.
april11_1.jpgapril11_2.jpgapril11_3.jpg
If you need another one or if anyone else is interested the injectors are usually found in the outdoor sections of the stores. The sections with the grills and meat smokers. They are used for injecting brine or seasoning solutions into larger cuts of meat. I have seen them in larger hunting and fishing stores in the food preparation and cooking section.

Gotta love those rabbit raisins. I would just put them on the compost piles and within a short time there would be all kinds of worms for fishing.

Have a good day.

Awesome comparison pics and good information! I agree. The two plants on the left look slightly better. I would think that if you use these as your control for growth patterns, you could then start changing the parameters of the medium for further results to compare. Broken up droppings instead of whole, amendments, worm castings, insect frass, etc. Just thinking out loud. I need to get my hands on this damn rabbit poop. It didn't work out with my buddy last week. Maybe this week so I can start sharing some results with you too.

@Budsbunny Hey...I was looking at the pics again. I didn't look closely enough when I replied. What was the soil for these? And then you topped them with the hydroton balls? For some reason I thought you planted them in straight whole droppings.

@Budsbunny Hey...I was looking at the pics again. I didn't look closely enough when I replied. What was the soil for these? And then you topped them with the hydroton balls? For some reason I thought you planted them in straight whole droppings.
The soil with the 2 plants on the left (green stckers) contains:
  • 20% perlite
  • 10% droppings
  • 70% compost
The soil with the 2 plants on the right (red stickers) contains:
  • 25% perlite
  • 25% compost
  • 50% rabbit droppings
I only put a thin layer of clay pebbles on it because they are in the sun and I am afraid they will dry out more. I measure the water uptake for each plant, without evaporation. The %%% were listed in the post earlier.

The %%%% were done by volume.

Gotta love those rabbit raisins. I would just put them on the compost piles and within a short time there would be all kinds of worms for fishing.
It doesn't take me 5 minutes to get my worms out of my compost pile.

April 13, 2020

These are pics from in the rotating garden, it does not look much is happening and I will take these out the coming week. I DO have the feeling that the additional dose of rabbit tea helped, especially on the buds but I started very late with the tea, you can’t make a small plant twice as big in the last phase. All in all I think adding the tea was positive and will do a better job the next time.
april13_1.jpgapril13_2.jpg

This is the “little clone” in the chest. I purged the soil yesterday as the dose of tea was too high, it looks as if she is on full grow mode again. No nutrients on this one, only water with tea!

april13_3.jpgapril13_4.jpg

And this is the plant in R-DWC. I diluted the added tea with adding only ph’d water as I was a bit scared of what happened next door in the chest (above) I like to test as much as I can and try to adjust as fast as I can.

april13_5.jpgapril13_6.jpg

All in all I start to have a better impression how it works with the tea in soil, DWC, foliar spray AND growing in soil with high %%% of droppings. In time I will make a resume about that.

April 15, 2020

I start to have more and more the feeling that the tea concentrate is much stronger than I anticipated. I have reduced it in the rotation garden earlier this week, I purged the plant in the chest and now I am going to do a LAST test with the plant in the dresser. The tea has an redoubtable positive effect on the root growth, nice white and they grow like hell. I did dilute the amount of tea already this week by adding only Ph’d water but now I have made a complete new batch so I know exactly what is in it and how much, this is what I did:
  • 8000 ml of water (8 liter or 2 gallon)
  • 20 cc H2O2
  • Ph.d the water to 5.5
  • 80 ml of tea concentrate (= only 1% of batch volume) - no other nutrients.
  • After adding the tea, Ph was still 5.5
Big shadow in the picture, that’s because the light just went out.
april15.jpg

April 16, 2020

Seedlings in soil with % droppings added. (on ONLY water)

Off to the races lol. It seems the 2 on the left are leading the field, and the 2 on the right are more dark green, not sure what is the best, light green or dark green….the span of the leaves of the 2 on the left also seem to be a fraction larger now, if you compare it with the picture in post #62

In both cases the plants look good, no sign of anything bad.
april16.jpg

I have given water to the weight they had 4 days ago.

Note: the water uptake mentioned in the picture is the total uptake in 8 days.

April 18, 2020

To be more complete, the 4 plants stand on my window sill in the kitchen and get full sun in the morning, this picture was taken at 5.45 am. I turn the pots on regular base as the plants want to grow towards the sun and I also switch places from left to right each 2 days.
april18.jpg

Very interesting... Now I wish I had rabbit poop for my peppers. This is poop from captive rabbits right? Do you think their diet makes a big difference? Lots of wild rabbits here, I could go poop collecting! It's surprisingly easy to find.
Yes, from captive rabbits. I gave them Alfalfa pellets, bought in the store and some Alphalfa hay. They just LOVE leaves of Dandelions, you see many times people in the field cutting the leaves/plants out, but I was too lazy for that.

Rabbits in the wild only eat what is good for them so that shouldn’t be a problem. I know someone who puts lettuce in a certain place in his garden to feed them, rabbits always poop a lot during eating so he has a lot of droppings concentrated in one place and he used a Dyson to suck them up.

This is how I separated the droppings from the urine.
cage.jpg

April 19, 2020

For some reason I am not able to dial in the rabbit tea into the R-DWC system, the plant is still growing well but the leaves are getting more yellow. Ph. was good, 5.5 temperature in the dresser is 21 Celsius, ppm’s were on the low side for a plant this big, 400 ppm. Anyways, I have already decided to go with soil and droppings in the future so I have put this plant back on the Masterblend nutrients, 900 ppm and (perhaps) a light tea foliar spray. Maybe I will take 2 more clones and mid next week it will go on 12/12.
april19_1.jpg

However, the plant next door in the chest is doing fine after I had flushed it with water because of an “overdose” of tea. It is only getting water for now. It has some yellow points but they were there before the flush and did not get worse, more less I would say.
april19_2.jpg

This plant is not growing in soil with whole droppings, it is in 6 year old compost, with lots of goodies including droppings as the previous owner had rabbits. I do not know how much droppings were thrown in it but he had 7 cages, I had 4 rabbits myself and 4 rabbits produce a motherload of droppings.

April 20, 2020

These 4 plants are 12 days in now and all 4 are looking good, but the differences start to be more clear, and again, I ONLY feed tap water, nothing else.
  • The 20% droppings plants grow faster and bigger.
  • The 50 % droppings plants are more dark green. (not sure which color is good or bad)
Then there is the water uptake, the 20% droppings plants, the uptake is considerably more, here are the results of 3x uptake/feeding:
  • Plant 1 – 20-% - - - 27 ml + 27 ml + 37 ml = 91 ml
  • Plant 2 – 20-% - - - 30 ml + 30 ml + 52 ml = 112 ml
  • Plant 3 – 50-% - - - 26 ml + 22 ml + 23 ml = 71 ml
  • Plant 4 – 50-% - - - 25 ml + 21 ml + 24 ml = 70 ml
april20.jpg

April 24, 2020

Almost forgot, too busy, too many projects going on, but here it is.

More and more clear is that plants 1 & 2 are growing much faster, also, the water uptake is more than twice of the other plants. And it is not that plants 3 & 4 are not good, they just grow slower. I think I know the reason for the lesser uptake from plants 3 & 4, I will come back about that another time.
april24.jpg

Now these are pepper plants, not cannabis, but in my post rotating garden GROW 2 I am doing a similar test with a cannabis clone, also going very well. / Cheers

April 26, 2020

I wanted to come back on the “slow growth” of plants 3 & 4 because I think I know the reason.
  • In the soil plants 1 & 2 is only 20% dry droppings
  • In the soil plants 3 & 4 is 50% dry droppings
I made separate batches for 1&2 and 3&4 and kept the soil the same moist for both, but in 3&4 is 50% very dry droppings and I think these droppings attracted the moist in the soil so there was less water in the soil for these 2 plants so the uptake was much less. After the next evaluation I will give 3 & 4 more water than 1 & 2 and see what the uptake will be thereafter.

LOL, not sure if I made myself clear but I know what I meant, do you? :laughtwo:

Very interesting read! I got a ton of rabbit poop here around my neighbour and in my backyard from the winter. Only issue is the rabbits here chew on the garbage looking for food sometimes.
I would mind just taking some and mixing it in my soil to try but might be too concentrated straight in

I know you said don't stray from rabbit but I have a plan to collect deer poop and make a tea with an indigenous microorganism or IMO from the same area. That's the plan anyways!

Awesome journal and thank you very much for the level of detail

Back
Top Bottom