Rabbits and Pests...

dragonflower

Okay i live in the mountains at about 2000-3000 ft. And last year i had tons of problems with rabbits and lizards, but mostly deer.

Are there any enviormentally friendly ways to deterr them from my garden area? My dad is one of those 'speak to the earth and love the land' native types and he refuses to allow anything that will cause the animals or the vegetation any harm.

I've tried re-directing their trail, which would work if the smell of the plants didnt attract the f-ckers, also they are logging everywhere here and since we have an 'animal refuge' we're gettiing tons of pests, in fact theres a freakin skunk coming in my kitchen to eat the cat food!

I need some help! Plus any other advice or hints on growing are welcome, this is only my second year and im having a little competition with my brother (who is also a card holder, btw)

thanks ^_^

I had a friend that had this same problem. So what he did was go to the barber shop and asked for the hair that was cut over the day and put it around the plants and it helped quite a bit, but ya need lots of hair. Or maybe try getting a salt lick and put it off the trail aways and that might help get there mind off your grow. hope that helps ya

...hair huh?..Nah...the salt lick thing is good, but like i said they STILL find their happy lil way back over there...

Now citronella i never thought of, tho the plants are like 30 bucks each and i dont know if they would survive in this climate.

There was JUST a commercial on for some kind of "all natural rabbit and deer repellent" but i didnt catch the name or anything....Though id have to look at the ingredients to make sure....

You can get citronella concentrate at most outdoors or hardware shops. Just walk around the perimeter of your plants and give a good spray. As for the hair, it really can work with deer. I would be inclined to tape locks of hair to each of your plants as well as spreading it around your grow site and along any critter trails you notice. Don't use your own hair as cops can match DNA!!! If none of that works, get a .50 cal and sort the little fuckers out that way!

Okay i live in the mountains at about 2000-3000 ft. And last year i had tons of problems with rabbits and lizards, but mostly deer.

Are there any enviormentally friendly ways to deterr them from my garden area? My dad is one of those 'speak to the earth and love the land' native types and he refuses to allow anything that will cause the animals or the vegetation any harm.

I've tried re-directing their trail, which would work if the smell of the plants didnt attract the f-ckers, also they are logging everywhere here and since we have an 'animal refuge' we're gettiing tons of pests, in fact theres a freakin skunk coming in my kitchen to eat the cat food!

I need some help! Plus any other advice or hints on growing are welcome, this is only my second year and im having a little competition with my brother (who is also a card holder, btw)

thanks ^_^
Go to your local supermarket and get a box of mothballs ( no pun intended here ) Shake the box out around your grow . This should keep the pests at bay for a while . It will even last through a few good thunderstorms also . :hmmmm: Now about that skunk ...........Close the door .........or cat door . Ta Da ! No more skunk ........seriously though .......if a cat door is involved , use a humane trap just inside the door . Trap it live and take it miles away . Don't forget to cover the trap with something so you don't get sprayed too . Good luck with your grow man . :smokin:

Hmm, i guess i can try the hair thing....But i think i might try the citronella.

And as for peeing? Um....i kinda dont have the right parts to be able to do that with accuracy....Tho im sure i can ask one of my brothers...

Oh my dad just said if you take cheap bars of soap and hang them from tree branches, it will also keep deer away, does anyone know if that works?

Also, on the skunk thing, my dad kinda....built the house...and there are two trees growing out the middle of it because he kind of...built around them...[sigh] i know i know...what are ya gonna do? Anyways the skunk dug a lil hole right through the dirt there, ive been putting stuff over it, but the bastard keeps digging more holes....

He IS kinda cute tho....i named him Herman and gave him his own dish...if you cant beat em....[shrug]
Youd be surprised at how friendly they are...i almost got close enough to pet it the other day....tho i probably shouldnt be trying...~_~;;

Deer is a big problem where I live and a lot of ppl are the envirnmental hippie type and I have heard from them that sprinkling pepper on plants works well. Dont remember what kind tho but im sure u can use your imagination I dont think deer like any kind in general so I think you should be ok with them as for the lizards and rabbits i dont know about them

HAHA! Yeah but then id have a bunch of stinky rabbits running around!!

Pepper on the plants? First off, i want to be able to smoke my crop. Second, how would seasoning the plants help? Its not a damn restaurant! lol

On the serious i will look into that, tho deer arent suppose to like sage either and they've destroyed three of my plants so far....

...im afraid these deer have mutated or something.... =o

Back
Top Bottom