Radogast 2 - Return of the Clones

Clone in a salon wrap.

I saw only two gnats, so covering the soil seems to be working.
I've thought other things were working before.

I lifted up a corner of the wraps with condensation.

20140727_113203-1.jpg

Welcome nhteatime :)

Try to survive the next hour without a tornado, ok ?

Missed it by 1 town while at work today and just had a couple big boomers go by while at home tonight but All is well..and of course i checked my plants already. Looking happy

Cannabis is a type of plant that male to female germination rate is also temperature dependent. Higher heat results in more male cannabis plants. I would not use heat when germinating cannabis seeds.

Everything i have read states cannabis seeds require 3 things for germination. Warmth, moisture and air. Also i would say darkness as well cause seeds are sown into the ground no? When i mentioned heat, I, in no way, meant any form of intense heat other than warmer air conditions that the seed plate/baggie sits in. I.e, on top of the internet router or in my case, on top of my playstation 3. Seed heating mats are clearly made for a reason. I agree that cannabis plants' sex can be altered with heat, but most detailed "how to's" as well as write ups about how to achieve higher female to male ratios have stated that cannabis plants sex is most affected 3-4 weeks into vegetative state. Stress like high temps can cause a plant to show male sex when put into 12/12.

your experience trumps mine for sure John, i just can't imagine that the heating pads for germination (including the germination packages that are sold online for upwards of $100, that include these heating pads) would do nothing but produce male cannabis plants. Every thing i read when googling "heating pad cannabis germination" or something along the lines of that, always turns up nothing saying to NOT use "warmth" when germinating, and that heating pads and male cannabis seeds have a direct correlation. Every thing i have read states warmth is beneficial for cannabis seed germination. any thoughts?

I would keep the seeds cannabis germinating in a 70°-78° Fahrenheit range to avoid having higher male to female cannabis germination rates. I agree that heat will usually germinate cannabis seeds faster then without additional heat added but it defeats the purpose of growing female cannabis to flower for medicine.

First two seeds have popped :yahoo::welcome:

I had bad luck with a hearing pad and seeds.

When I turned the pad sideways so it heated the middle half of the tray, it was the middle half where nothing sprouted.
I was also using a dome so the heat was magnified.

When I tried damp paper towels between two plates. In a planting tray on a heating pad turned sideway, nothing grew.

These seeds are sprouted in plain water in a jar on the kitchen counter.
So far:
4 were accidentally thrown away,
1 split but couldn't grow a tail,
3 duds,
4 in the soil (2 above ground)

20140729_185906.jpg

I posted this in the first grow journal, but I had to repost it hear.

My daughter calls this

Breakfast of Champions

received_m_mid_1406545922661_e11dd86758eb89df26_0.jpeg

:laughtwo: IDK why, but when I saw that a picture of a stoned Popeye jumped into my head. If only Popeye had a jar of buds with him instead of spinach.. he would never have been violent, he'd just pull out an acoustic guitar and a peace pipe and mellow out the bad guys with his chill tunes, and always get the girl still :circle-of-love::lot-o-toke: lol sorry for my randomness. >.<

Edit: Oh I didn't see your bean sprouts until just after responding to that lovely breakfast pic. Beautiful sprouts!! Can't wait to watch them get big and strong :) They start out so cute and delicate...

I think the seedling stage is my favorite part of growing. They really are so cute, and they change so much each day. Once you get into veg the change is much more subtle. They still change, but when they first come out the difference between day 2 and day 9 are crazy!

:laughtwo: IDK why, but when I saw that a picture of a stoned Popeye jumped into my head. If only Popeye had a jar of buds with him instead of spinach.. he would never have been violent, he'd just pull out an acoustic guitar and a peace pipe and mellow out the bad guys with his chill tunes, and always get the girl still :circle-of-love::lot-o-toke: lol sorry for my randomness. >.<

Edit: Oh I didn't see your bean sprouts until just after responding to that lovely breakfast pic. Beautiful sprouts!! Can't wait to watch them get big and strong :) They start out so cute and delicate...

:circle-of-love: Love the Popeye randomness :)

greenthumbj:** For me personally, i'm not liking cloning. At least not in rockwool. I want to make a DIY little bubble cloner, and a small aero cloner and try cloning in water or mist/fog. I think i would have more success this way. Otherwise i gotta be really good at germinating seeds, cause i wasn't able to manage to learn to clone efficiently!!

hey mate ,the biggest mistake made when cutting clones is most do at a 45 degree angle and scrap around cut area to agitate cells.
try doing your cuts slightly less angle so not so sharp and very light on the scraping if you do it .
i do 100's of cuttings every week in my trade and some species of plants are extremely difficult and have low strike rates,we never cut at 45 degree for any species of plant cuttings... little trade secret for ya, a very weak solution of detol and water on cutting prior to applying rooting hormone helps a lot for increased strike rates.;)

Clone in a salon wrap.

20140727_113203-1.jpg

those pesky gnats grrr... first and foremost SUBBED :)......
ive managed to eradicate them with neem but dont like my plants receiving that yucky crap
i once tried placing all my clipping and dead leaves in a tub filled with soil and topped with the clipping etc in the far corner of my grow room and attract them over to that and once they where thriving there they left my plants alone it seemed and i then removed the tub and disposed of the invaders...
now if they show up in my grows they have a small army of drosera plants to contend with "mwa ha ha ha ha"!
you need gas exchange to happen around soil level and bottom of pots to occur so prob not best to leave the totally covered for to long
just my opinion buddy ;)

those pesky gnats grrr... first and foremost SUBBED :)......
ive managed to eradicate them with neem but dont like my plants receiving that yucky crap
i once tried placing all my clipping and dead leaves in a tub filled with soil and topped with the clipping etc in the far corner of my grow room and attract them over to that and once they where thriving there they left my plants alone it seemed and i then removed the tub and disposed of the invaders...
now if they show up in my grows they have a small army of drosera plants to contend with "mwa ha ha ha ha"!
you need gas exchange to happen around soil level and bottom of pots to occur so prob not best to leave the totally covered for to long
just my opinion buddy ;)

Your opinion is valued.
:welcome:

I'd love to offer you snacks, but the popcorn is going fast.
:yummy:
I'm also running out of grow knowledge, so this is a "bring your own" thread :)

"Hemp is the 'giver of joy,' 'heaven's pilot,' 'the heavenly guide,' 'the heaven of the poor man,' 'the soother of sorrows.'
No God, no man is as good as the religious hemp drinker." - Hemp Drug Commission Report (1884)

Quotation lifted from a 1979 book by Richard Shultes and Albert Hoffman
Currently reading the 1992 update. We know a lot more about Cannabis now :)

The suran wrap is bad idea, creating a moist environment allows the larva that landed to eat your roots and grow into full size gnats. Putting an inch of sand ontop the soil will get rid of gnat problem by suffocating the larva in the soil. Or buy fungus gnat spray and hope it gets rid of them.

Clone in a salon wrap.

20140727_113203-1.jpg

Hi Rad. Subbing again. Last time I started with the drench that many here like. More suppressing them, not getting rid of. Not the answer for me. Moved to nematodes next. The nematodes got it well under hand but not completely gone. I just went to Max Yield in SF and was given some Gnatnix, made of out ground up glass so tears the damn things when they try to go past it.

Back
Top Bottom