Radogast 2 - Return of the Clones

20140730_202422-1-1.jpg

Dank420girl :thanks: for visiting.

Between you and brightlight I have suggestions for sand, spray and broken glass.

I tried sticky traps, which suppresses most of them.
I tried diotomaceous earth, which should have done the broken glass trick and cut them to death.
The plastic wrap was mostly to force the gnats caught under the wrap to crawl around on the diotomaceous earth, but also to create a barrier between flying gnats and the soil.

I've taken the wrap off for 24 hours to let the soil breathe.

Wrapping the suggestions together, I could create a solid layer of diotomaceous earth and force emerging gnats to crawl through it.

Does this sound like a good thing to try?

20140730_223946.jpg

20140730_223832-1.jpg

I would place a layer of diatomaceous earth on the top of your plants medium to stop the fungus gnats from penetrating the soil. For soil insects I use diatomaceous earth on top of the soil as a barrier, it cuts them as they move through it. I bought my diatomaceous earth from an animal feed store, do not use the type meant for pool filters. Mosquito dunks can also be used as a soil drench for fungus gnats. Sierra Natural Sciences also makes a soil drench called SNS-203 for fungus gnats and other soil insects.

https://www.homedepot.com Mosquito Dunks 6 Pack

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-203

Hi Rad. Your combo gnat fix gave me a good laugh. I've never used Gnatnix. But the rep gave me enough for entire indoor grow, so I'm feeling slightly obligated to try it. I like to "till" the pot's soil before watering/feeding so a layer of anything will prevent that. Wonder if such layers would also lessen O2 getting down into rhizosphere? IDK. I think if I had put in the beneficial nematodes earlier, it might have been the solution. I went from a few to many fast. The nematodes quickly reduced population to a few, but by late bloom they were increasing again.

Hi Rad. Your combo gnat fix gave me a good laugh. I've never used Gnatnix. But the rep gave me enough for entire indoor grow, so I'm feeling slightly obligated to try it. I like to "till" the pot's soil before watering/feeding so a layer of anything will prevent that. Wonder if such layers would also lessen O2 getting down into rhizosphere? IDK. I think if I had put in the beneficial nematodes earlier, it might have been the solution. I went from a few to many fast. The nematodes quickly reduced population to a few, but by late bloom they were increasing again.

I'm considering a combination of DE layer and nematodes now.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around Finding Bene Nemos. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

For the gnats, let your pots dry out as much as possible between irrigations, it will help.
I no longer worry about them, as by just watering this way, and adding some DE on top, I've not had any significant numbers of them, in over a year. As an FYI, I use Fungus Farm, Ocean Fungus as a soil...so I see a few gnats. :Namaste::peace:

Now there's some beaches I wouldn't mind being stranded on! :)

I hope it resolves the problem, though. Seems to be a PITA.

Green vibes your way.
/Obi

Back
Top Bottom