Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

Drive-By.. Congrats on the harvest... One thing I do like about HID Lighting,,, is the heat... Least in the winter time............

GL and Keepem Green

Soil Cooking Day

This is second run Doc Bud soil, so I added 1.5 lbs of amendment and 20 lbs of earthworm castings and stirred.

20171229_155203-1.jpg

Once stirred, I carried to the rain barrel, in 5-gallon bucket load. Each bucket I added about a pint of water.

20171229_160407-1.jpg

12 trips later, I have about 50 gallons of soil in the rain barrel

20171229_162739-1.jpg

The rain barrel makes a pretty decent chair shelf - this is the view when I open the door.

20171229_113142-1.jpg

When I want to sit and work - I step inside, turn around, and shut the door

20171229_112938-1.jpg

Then take the chair down so I can sit on it.

20171229_113020-1.jpg

Over in the cloner bucket were 6 cuttings: 2 each Lilly, Guawi, and Haze x Kali China

20171229_112440-1.jpg

4 of the clones had good looking roots

20171229_112455.jpg

Rooted Guawi clone

20171229_112541-1.jpg

Rooted clone in half empty quart jar of perlite with osmocote+ - tipped at an angle.

20171229_112612-1.jpg

Planted and watered clone

20171229_112753-1.jpg

4 new clones ready to grow :)

20171229_121106-1.jpg

The soil should be cooked in 30 days.
After that, some/all of my strains (at least those that aren't performing well in the hempy buckets) will be grown in soil again.

Hey Rad! Glad you got some soil cookin again! It looks like the rain barrel is directly on concrete, if so, are you planning on putting some rigid insulation under it?

Rock on brother!

:theband:

The rain barrel is on painted OSB sheathing floor on spaced 2x4 lumber above a concrete floor - essentially a wood pallet with a solid top.

Thanks

p.s. Outside temps are challenging for the rest of the year.
.. predicted high tomorrow is 2F (-17C)
and I need to shovel 8-10" for the mail carrier to reach the door once it stops snowing

Way to go Rad! :high-five: At the moment, all my plants in flower are hempy and all the ones in veg are in soil. :laughtwo: Next month I'll be starting more hempy to get some balance. Lol!

I'm having incredible luck in hempy, but it's because I went with a better nutrient than osmo. Osmo can work, as Tead demonstrates every day, but the RX Green Solutions is getting much better yields and much prettier plants. We know having pretty plants is what we all want. Actually, consistent yields will make me soooo happy. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Have you been following the apprentice thread with Doc and Darkscotia? They're changing the way we drench, so if you haven't done so yet I suggest you take a stroll through the pages.

Way to go Rad! :high-five: At the moment, all my plants in flower are hempy and all the ones in veg are in soil. :laughtwo: Next month I'll be starting more hempy to get some balance. Lol!

I'm having incredible luck in hempy, but it's because I went with a better nutrient than osmo. Osmo can work, as Tead demonstrates every day, but the RX Green Solutions is getting much better yields and much prettier plants. We know having pretty plants is what we all want. Actually, consistent yields will make me soooo happy. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Have you been following the apprentice thread with Doc and Darkscotia? They're changing the way we drench, so if you haven't done so yet I suggest you take a stroll through the pages.

I have the Darkscotia thread queued up - but I haven't been reading it because I only have a single plant still in soil --- 2 oz carnival 30+ days in flower.

The rain barrel is on painted OSB sheathing floor on spaced 2x4 lumber above a concrete floor - essentially a wood pallet with a solid top.

Thanks

That was my question as well. The rain barrel is cool beanz. You can get a great big bunch of magic in there all at once.
I am always happy to see the HB soil getting ready.
You guys talking about temps got me worried. I am still in the state of sunshine, I head back north on the 3rd. I hope for warm sunbeams.

That was my question as well. The rain barrel is cool beanz. You can get a great big bunch of magic in there all at once.
I am always happy to see the HB soil getting ready.
You guys talking about temps got me worried. I am still in the state of sunshine, I head back north on the 3rd. I hope for warm sunbeams.

Bring those sunbeams with you keltic. :laughtwo: We're into the deep freeze up here.

Soil Cooking Day

This is second run Doc Bud soil, so I added 1.5 lbs of amendment and 20 lbs of earthworm castings and stirred.

20171229_155203-1.jpg

Once stirred, I carried to the rain barrel, in 5-gallon bucket load. Each bucket I added about a pint of water.

20171229_160407-1.jpg

12 trips later, I have about 50 gallons of soil in the rain barrel

20171229_162739-1.jpg

The rain barrel makes a pretty decent chair shelf - this is the view when I open the door.

20171229_113142-1.jpg

When I want to sit and work - I step inside, turn around, and shut the door

20171229_112938-1.jpg

Then take the chair down so I can sit on it.

20171229_113020-1.jpg

Over in the cloner bucket were 6 cuttings: 2 each Lilly, Guawi, and Haze x Kali China

20171229_112440-1.jpg

4 of the clones had good looking roots

20171229_112455.jpg

Rooted Guawi clone

20171229_112541-1.jpg

Rooted clone in half empty quart jar of perlite with osmocote+ - tipped at an angle.

20171229_112612-1.jpg

Planted and watered clone

20171229_112753-1.jpg

4 new clones ready to grow :)

20171229_121106-1.jpg

The soil should be cooked in 30 days.
After that, some/all of my strains (at least those that aren't performing well in the hempy buckets) will be grown in soil again.
Did you say hempy buckets? I stepped away for a moment and the world turned upside down. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Cheers Rad.
/Obi

Did you say hempy buckets? I stepped away for a moment and the world turned upside down. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Cheers Rad.
/Obi

When I could not come up with a plan to cook soil without heating a new room, I decided to hempy over the winter using osmocote+ and perlite. Osmocote+ is time release seed looking 'prills' of nutrition. My results so far are typical 'first time' grower problems with packaged nutrients, but I don't have skills in dealing with packaged nutrients and deficiencies.

Even the best of my hempy plants don't look great by the time they go into flower, so I gave up some space in my veg area and am returning to the dark side - the dark soil side. At least partially returning.... Life is not always predictable. Some of my strains don't look like they will survive my hempy experiements, but Carnival might. Carnival is a supermodel. She has a way of looking good no matter the circumstances. :)

I just went and read your grow room build thread - you are so much more professional than I am :) Great job. :thumb:

Don't Plant Too deep ! :rofl:

I have a clone that has been sitting for over a month since planting with no noticeable change.

Not drinking much water.
No new leaves.
Not dying

All I saw was a pair of leaves rising out of the perlite. No stalk!

20171230_122450-1.jpg

When I uncovered the base of the leaves, I saw that, without light on the apical meristem, there was a tiny flower putting on trichomes.

20171230_122438-1.jpg

:oops:

I just went and read your grow room build thread - you are so much more professional than I am :) Great job. :thumb:

It's always good when you get to start the new year with a big fat understatement like that.
Obi Wan's been a huge source of inspiration and ideas over many years now. Stunning grows in a stunning room. So jealous!
That's my way of saying "Thanks Obi Wan!"

I know I rant at it often... sorry.
As I watch my own state attempt to roll out an MMJ system, I've totally witnessed the stupidity involved. Of course, the more convoluted any plan becomes, the more options for corruption and insanity become available. Mixing politics and medicine... gee... who would of thought that could cause any problems?!?!
When Tead looks at the landscape of his country, he sees some bright spots... but not many, and they're very overwhelmed by the darkness. And then he remembers that this insanity has been seen in his eyes since the '70s.... so he's just not convinced that the forward momentum is worthy of any recognition. Further, he sees the potential for a touch of a radical swing in the coming years.

Really just trying to share a view thru Tead's eyes. Perhaps he's a pessimist, but he might remind you that a pessimist is rarely disappointed.

Someone put a like on this and brought it to my attention.

Once again, pessimism pays off in the precognition department. Drag.

edit.... and I now notice it's a closed thread... poor form this morning Tead.

Miss you Rad. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom