Radogast's Non-420 Garden Creation Thread

Yesterday morning, I finished planting the remaining seeds and plants - with the exception of Bee Balm alongside the house.

Then I went out shopping for an herb for a housewarming gift for a neighbor/old friend of the wife's who works at a brew pub. I bought him a 'Hot and Spicy' Oregano, and a 'Hot and Spicy' basil for my wife, also a lavendar, and a cute ruby and blood colored Rudbeckia (Black Eyed Susan type). Brew Pub neighbor had a blowout housewarming party: over 100 dropped by and a core group of about 40 spent a nice afternoon and evening, drinking, toking (he makes regular trips to Oregon), and consuming very good food.

I woke up this morning (no hangover) and planted the plants I purchased yesterday. Then planted 3 peonies sent home with us after the party. I was about to start work paint prepping the porch floor when brew pub neighbor sent out a social media invite to come plant his new plants while eating and drinking leftovers. The wife and I went over. I ended up stapling legs on 2 trellises, and planting them in the ground with trumpet vines, planting a large Winterberry tree/shrub, picking up recyling, eating. laughing, and test sitting a newly assembled bench.

Brew pub neighbor (not a permanent name - I have two other neighbors who own brew pubs and three or four others who work in them) sent me home with Lily of the Valley plants (my wife has been mentioning them a lot recently), cement suitable for post holes for a back yard 'cabana' project, 140 lbs of sand to help with leveling the pavers for the courtyard, two mixed 6-packs of craft beer, and a bottle of Proseco.

Every time I think I'm done planting the outside garden, another couple of plants show up ! But I'm not complaining, the universe is moving things forward in an inexpensive and timely way.

Just after dinner, my wife announced the paint was dry on the bench rails, so I bolted and screwed things back together.

The way it was.

20170507_120059-1-1.jpg

The way it is - after the wood was planed, sanded, and painted.

20170529_183246-1.jpg

The way it is - in all it's "Redbud Tree" glory.

20170529_183219-1.jpg

The way it is - with hummingbird.

20170529_183917-1.jpg

After we sat and admired our handywork, my wife started talking about colors for the porch floor.

I'm a bit behind on taking garden photos - partly because the family went to an alcohol fueled housewarming party for a friend who moved in last august, followed the next day by a return to the housewarming locale to help him plant plants and trellises received as housewarming gifts, followed the next day by copious amounts of wine on the front porch in a family celebration.

Blurry photo reminiscent of my blurry vision during a wine fueled family celebration. I was "that guy": falling down 3 times, breaking a small plant stand, and revealing some things to the kids better kept secret until they were older. The drunkest I have ever been.

20170530_192509-1.jpg

I wanted to spend the next day lying around like Rivercat Jones, but I kept busy doing the usual garden stuff. Planting 4 plants, trimming the back yard, and scalping the grass for 1/2 the courtyard around the fountain.

20170601_132618.jpg

This morning, the wife and I had a mega breakfast at a local pancake house. (There is over 1/2 lb of salmon on this bagel.)

20170601_091647.jpg

I watched a bumblebee on the Comfrey flowers before I tied stalks closer together with some string.

20170530_141214-1.jpg

After I completed my indoor stuff, I planted 2 oriental lillies in flower ($2 each at grocery store,) skimmed the greenery off the soil for a 15x1' section between the house and the driveway, planted lemon mint seeds in the main section, planted mugwort seeds in the corner section, watered everywhere unsprouted seeds are planted, and weeded.

New Moonflower/Moon vine leaves looking like butterflies. (The bottom pair of leaves have the seed membrane still attached.)

20170601_172511-1.jpg

Do you think I should do a sand layer under the brick?
, or
Will the moss and thyme do better with just dirt under and between the brick?

Sand will help drainage. Thyme likes good drainage. Moss less so, but if my brick-work is anything to go by, it'll grow anyway. :thumb:

Cant morning glorys be used for other purposes?

Piule, badoh negro, tlililtzin, ololoiuqui as various names for this historically preeminent central american hallucinogen used for divination and magico-religious rituals? Nah ... That's probably just folk tales. 13 black seeds or a thimbleful of the brown ground in water or alcohol and drunk in a quiet room by oneself. Learning from plant spirits... Didn't seem believable for the first 3 centuries after european contact. --- Pretty flowers though :)

I planted some mugwort as the plant my ancestors would have smoked and brewed into beer :)

Rad, walleye shared this on my Path thread, and I thought this might be a good place to share it to a broader audience. :cheesygrinsmiley:

High all, can't help myself from sharing this one. Diane is afraid of bees and wasps and our porch has had its' share of them over 25 years. Since stuffing a lunch bag with bubble wrap and hanging back in April, we have not had a bee, wasp or hornet come even close to our porch. Really reveals the stupid in fear!! Try it, it works!
20170612_1502191.jpg
Knowledge and courage is a path to freedom of fear. Under an over hang. Peace:circle-of-love::love:

Next year that's gonna look luscious by this time. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The yard is coming together quite nicely Rad!!
I came across something I just had to share with you. I know you've got a sweet spot for glass so I think you will enjoy. My wife was down in Italy and picked this up for me last week. Hand made Murano glass. Saving it for a super special smoke session!
IMG_79596.JPG
IMG_79588.JPG

I came across something I just had to share with you. I know you've got a sweet spot for glass so I think you will enjoy. My wife was down in Italy and picked this up for me last week. Hand made Murano glass. Saving it for a super special smoke session!
IMG_79596.JPG
IMG_79588.JPG

That is exquisite !

The family spent a half day in Murano, and a half day in Burano about 5 years back. It was a lovely day and an unforgetable experience.
A Murano glass chandelier would be on my 'when I win 5 million dollars bucket list' :) Now I can add 420 Murano glass - thank you :rofl:

Yesterday was,
Rain Garden certification with the city day,
jar the harvest day,
walk in the garden because the weather was perfect day,
start a compost pile day,
rain barrel delivery day,
bead delivery day,
and stormy weather day.

Bead delivery day? Yes! Yes it was :) Some mighty fine Mardi Gras beads arrived on our porch with a jar of muffuletta pickles

20170619_103500-1.jpg

My wife washed the travel debris off the beads and hung them out in the sun to dry

20170619_130403-1.jpg

For people with a New Orleans Room, our collection of beads was pretty sad.

St. Louis Cemetery #2 beads on a bottle behind a Venetian style mask

20170619_131100-1.jpg

Bourbon Street crossroads beads and a mail order beaded curtain

20170619_131125-1.jpg
20170619_131145-1.jpg

A rather limitted bead collection.

With beads hanging outside, we had a gulley warsher (yes, I say it warsh-er) - the first storm to raise the water level to the overflow tube in my rain garden basin.
The overflow worked :)

20170619_165649-1.jpg

About an hour after the rain stopped, there was a nice cooling cloudburst of hail blown sideways at a 60 degree angle by the wind.

20170619_165051-1.jpg

20170619_165623-1.jpg

This morning, after yesterday's refreshing cleanse, we placed up the beads. First stop, the bar. (This is a New Orleans Room, right?)

20170620_105949-1.jpg

The drink holder gets a place by Al Capone. The Bourbon Orleans Hotel complimentary champagne was draped with watery, serenity colored beads.

20170620_110005-1.jpg

Cleopatra beads by the money ship

20170620_110030-1.jpg

Skull and crossed bones beads for the ritual drummer

20170620_110039-1.jpg

Lest you think the room is always as bright as seen in flash photos, this picture captures the bar in natural light :)

20170620_110232-1.jpg

IMG_79596.JPG
IMG_79588.JPG

That is sweet! Happiest of smokes for you with it!

Happy to see " Warsh-er" is still alive a well. Been getting shit for years about "warshing" my clothes. Now I just have to know if your house has a "roof" or a "ruff"?
Your New Orleans Room looks like the perfect spot for a smoke and a drink! I just pictured myself slowly melting into one of your chairs while sipping a gin and tonic and passing around some Lilly.

@keltic -- Thank you, looking forward to the first spark up. Now to just find the perfect time!

A touch more color is always needed in any Mardi Gras related space.

The Olive Salad can be used to recreate a muffaletta, or you can do like Tead and turn it into a big thick muffaletta pizza layered with tons of cheese and meats with a olive salad base (squeeze out the oil!)... takes forever to cook, but your patience is rewarded nicely.

We've a pizza parlor about 2 miles away that makes a deep dish with copious amounts of primo mozarella. It takes 45 minutes to cook - mmmm mmmm.

I'll probably have to stick to personal meals with the olive salad. The wife has trouble processing nightshades, especially cooked and pickled nightshades - so no potatoes, no chilis, no bell peppers, no pimentos, no tomato sauces/pastes/sun dried, but she can handle some fresh tomato. Lots of the psychoactive and medicinal garden herbs are also off limits. Sucks to be her, but it also limits family meals.

Happy to see " Warsh-er" is still alive a well. Been getting shit for years about "warshing" my clothes. Now I just have to know if your house has a "roof" or a "ruff"?
Your New Orleans Room looks like the perfect spot for a smoke and a drink! I just pictured myself slowly melting into one of your chairs while sipping a gin and tonic and passing around some Lilly.

@keltic -- Thank you, looking forward to the first spark up. Now to just find the perfect time!

Roof - (I'm not from Michigan) but the pronunciation of that word is literally all over the map Dialect Survey Results

We've a pizza parlor about 2 miles away that makes a deep dish with copious amounts of primo mozarella. It takes 45 minutes to cook - mmmm mmmm.

I'll probably have to stick to personal meals with the olive salad. The wife has trouble processing nightshades, especially cooked and pickled nightshades - so no potatoes, no chilis, no bell peppers, no pimentos, no tomato sauces/pastes/sun dried, but she can handle some fresh tomato. Lots of the psychoactive and medicinal garden herbs are also off limits. Sucks to be her, but it also limits family meals.

OH!!!!
That's just wrong. No bell peppers?!?! Chilis?!?! Drag!
Take your olive salad with you next time you visit the local pizza dive.... perhaps they'll include your bits in a pizza for you.

Back
Top Bottom