Raid Nabs Easton Man On Marijuana Farm Charges

420AM&PM

A former chef who apparently found he could earn more money growing pot than cooking in one, is eating prison fare.

Ronald Bryan Burke, 45, was arrested Thursday night when members of the Statewide Narcotics Task Force raided his Westwood Drive home. Confiscated were 23 marijuana plants, nearly three pounds of marijuana leaves and elaborate growing equipment, according to the police report.

Burke was charged with cultivation of marijuana, possession of marijuana with intent to sell, possession of drug paraphernalia and operating a drug factory.

On Friday, Burke was brought before Bridgeport Superior Court Judge Earl Richards, who ordered him held in lieu of $50,000 bond. The case was continued for two weeks.

The value of the seized marijuana was more than $30,000, State Police said.

Burke previously was a chef at a New York City restaurant, but began growing marijuana in his basement in June 2005, police said.

Burke told police he would have large parties and serve his marijuana, according to the report. "I would put a party dish out and we would just puff," he told police.

Officers broke down the door of the house and found Burke standing in the living room. In the basement, they allegedly found a locked room that housed the marijuana plants, high-powered grow lights and containers of liquid fish fertilizer. "I should tell you that I have a box of picked-off leaves in the garage," police said Burke told them.

Officers found two and a half pounds of marijuana leaves in the garage, police said.

Newshawk: 420AM&PM - 420 Magazine
Source: Conneticut Post (CT)
Pubdate: September 23, 2006
Author: DANIEL TEPFER and TONY SPINELLI
Copyright: ©1999-2006 MediaNews Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

Back
Top Bottom