Rain barrel issues

Dano2k3

Just curious is there a good way to help control stuff in my rain barrel? My setup is i'm growing in soil with a dehumidifier. I water the planets as needed filling the rain barrel with the water from the dehumidifier, I can go a mouth before losing enough water where i refill the rain barrel again.

I do have a ultra-violet water sterilizer in the rain barrel which i thought would keep all the bacteria and critters in check, which it seems that it has for the most part the water is really clear. However over a period of time i've noticed a white/light gray fill build up in the water, kind of feels a little oily/slimmy, is there anything that would help control and keep that in check in the rain barrel?

And if anyone is interested in a UV water sterilizer i got a "Pondmaster 02910 Ultra Violet Light Pond Water Clarifier 10watt" (110) replacement bulbs are like $15 and last a year, way over kill for a rain barrel, but the water is crystal clear. I say this because pet co has the "The Green Killing Machine" ($70) the bulbs last approximately 6 months and cost $50 to replace. More upfront cost with the pond master but 1 year in cost break even you're ahead...

:peace:

Dump the barrel altogether its a toxic soup of mold and virus spores waiting to happen even with your uv thing is all good intentions ..you have installed this for your own convenience ..there must be better?

Back
Top Bottom