Rain Water?

BigDaddy35

I finally decided to collect some rain water the other day. I checked the ph and it was just below 7.0. I have heard that rain water is good to water with but i was wondering should i use less nutes with it or remain on my schedule? As always, thanks for the advice fellow growers. I forgot to mention that i am growing in Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

10-4. I have been using distilled water and Cal Mag has been a must. I'm just happy to save some money on water, although it doesn't rain here in Texas much during the summer.

We tend to get most of our rain in very concentrated bursts.

If you miss it, your rain barrel's gonna be dry till next year, lol.

If you're ready, though, you'll fill a 300 gallon tank off the roof gutter in no time.

Kinda similar to Texas rain, when it rains ;)

I like rain water. It keeps Mrs. Sun from being pissed off when I drain the R/O system dry, lol.

If you're going to use rain water, use it right after it stopped raining. Collect them and bring it in. Since you're using distilled water it makes no difference, it is actually better than rain water. If the rain water not used for few days or a week, bacteria and bugs could start nesting in it and you don't want none of those stuff mixed in with the soil.

As romantic it is using rain water for your herbs, it's not something I would do...

Makes sense HighDive. I filled up 3 five gallon bottles and brought them inside the day after. I will look into getting more containers and just use the leftovers for my outside plants. Thanks for the heads up.

Ya, I was going to point out, so long as it's light on pollution around there, it's the same as distilled/RO water.. You have to add Cal-Mag, but other then that, you're gold.

Might check it for algae more often too unless you have a sterilizer.

hey there,well up here in washington st we have way too much rain,its raining today ugg!.....i have been using it for 6 months now as our well water has a high ph,i think,its been awhile since i checked it. anyway after sitting inside for a spell it starts to get green inside the 1 gal jugs.(hey its washington,were used to green)...would 1 drop of bleach per gal be good to clean things up or ? my rain barrel is always flushing its self clean with fresh rain so i'm starting with clean water.any thoughts,thanks,todd

Depending on what ever surfaces are catching/diverting the water, it might be algae from that too, being that its WA.

Maybe an aquarium filter and air stone? and or H202 added a few days before you use the stored water?

Oh yea.. Tap water has PH buffers in it to keep it from bouncing, so that's another difference with rainwater/distilled from tap.

thanks for ther info.i will start keeping it in "the shade".and start using my ,very old purex 1 gal bottels as they are brown.the rain water comes from the carport with rusty galvinized panels as roofing. hmmm there is one fiberglass pannel for light,now that has "stuff"growing in it.i pressure washed it a month back,but i'm sure its "active".anyway thanks for the tips to avoid green water.c ya,todd

Back
Top Bottom