Rancho Cordova Plans Ordinance on Pot Growing

Weedpipe

420 Member
California - When the persistent "skunk" smell of marijuana became too much for Linda Kurtz, she did what she said she had to do.

She went to Rancho Cordova City Hall and asked the City Council to protect her from the smell coming from her neighbor's backyard marijuana plants.

In so doing, she brought the city to the forefront of the next big issue facing marijuana producers and municipal regulators in California.

"Where are my rights?" Kurtz said she asked the council. "What do I have to do to protect my rights?"

As more and more people become eligible to grow their own marijuana for medicinal use, should there be limits on where and how cultivation takes place?

So far, few municipalities have tackled cultivation issues. The focus has been on medical marijuana dispensaries and the law.

California voters approved possession and cultivation for eligible patients and their primary caregivers in 1996 by passing Proposition 215. In 2004, the Legislature established a voluntary statewide identification card system for patients. The state attorney general issued guidelines for patients and law enforcement in 2008.

Since then, the number of patient dispensaries — collectives or cooperatives — has grown. In the city of Sacramento, where regulation is under consideration, close to 40 dispensaries have registered. Arcata, on the North Coast, caps the number at four, and eventually the number will decrease to two. In Oakland, which allows four dispensaries, voters approved a gross-receipts tax on pot sales.

The cities of Sacramento and West Sacramento are working toward a dispensary ordinance. West Sacramento's plan would have a limit of two dispensaries and restrict them to commercial zones.

Cities such as Anaheim and Davis prohibit dispensaries, but the Anaheim ban faces a closely watched challenge in state appeals court. A decision is expected soon.

Legalization will spread, advocates said.

"We have 14 legal states," said Lanette Davies, who calls herself a patient-rights activist. "But the entire nation is looking at California."

California law leaves zoning regulation to local jurisdictions — the challenge now before Rancho Cordova.

"None of us would have thought prior to her (Kurtz) coming to the council in October that cultivation was a problem," Rancho Cordova Councilwoman Linda Budge said.

Maybe so, but Councilman David Sander offers a solution: No cultivation in residential neighborhoods.

Security and nuisance factors make backyards bad places for marijuana growing, he said. Growing indoors brings other problems, such as high humidity, bad for interior walls.

"Eventually, you end up saying this may not be conducive to a residential neighborhood," Sander said. He'd rather see growers find warehouses or agricultural areas "where it doesn't impinge on a person's right to enjoy their property."

For others, the issues are not cut and dried.

"I would just say everybody has feelings on this issue, Rancho Cordova Mayor Ken Cooley said. "I think we're going to let our city attorney and staff continue to chew on this a little bit."

City Attorney Adam Lindgren said Rancho Cordova's approach is "to be protective of the quality of life in neighborhoods. And we've worked hard to ensure that the surrounding uses are compatible and complementary."

The city is just starting to look closely at how to balance the rights of residents to be free of neighborhood nuisances against the rights, if any, of medical marijuana users to grow, Lindgren said.

That balancing effort should produce an ordinance in the coming weeks that proposes to move growing indoors, a rule similar to one in Arcata.

In 2008, Arcata restricted legal cultivation to the inside of private residences — but not in kitchens, bathrooms or primary bedrooms. Cultivation is allowed only by an eligible patient living in a home, or a caregiver. The approach tries to limit growing on behalf of too many patients.

Keeping plants out of sight — and away from her olfactory senses — might help Linda Kurtz.

Her neighbor's plants this growing season grew large, about 2 feet higher than the dividing backyard fence, she said.

By the time she appeared before the City Council, she was exasperated.

"Nobody can know what the stench is unless you're in my house laying your head down on the pillow 10 feet away" from the plants, Kurtz said later.

A friend walking to her house once exclaimed, "Oh my gosh. A skunk!" Kurtz recalled. "I said, 'This isn't a skunk. This is what we live with day in and day out.' "

Brian, the neighbor-grower who asked that his full name not be used "because of the criminal element out there," said he has tried to be sensitive.

Marijuana gives him relief from the pain of bulging and ruptured disks. Ordinary medicine keeps him awake all night long, he said.

Three years ago, his first year for a crop, "I grew a kind that didn't smell as much, because I knew she was sensitive to it," he said.

In the latest growing season, he nurtured the same weed but fertilized "very well — five bags of steer manure and three bags of chicken manure."

The crop grew larger than he expected.

Now it's not clear if he'll grow another crop next growing season.

"I have got to say, is it worth it in terms of the hassle?" he asked. "I don't want to create an uproar."

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Sacramento Bee
Author: Loretta Kalb
Copyright: The Sacramento Bee

In 2008, Arcata restricted legal cultivation to the inside of private residences — but not in kitchens, bathrooms or primary bedrooms. Cultivation is allowed only by an eligible patient living in a home, or a caregiver. The approach tries to limit growing on behalf of too many patients.

You cannot compare Arcata to Rancho Cordova. The preferred way to grow is inside in Arcata. Not the greatest summer weather. I am sure in Rancho, the preferred way is outside.

"where are my rights?" kurtz said she asked the council. "what do i have to do to protect my rights?"

maybe so, but councilman david sander offers a solution: No cultivation in residential neighborhoods.

Security and nuisance factors make backyards bad places for marijuana growing, he said. Growing indoors brings other problems, such as high humidity, bad for interior walls.

"where it doesn't impinge on a person's right to enjoy their property."

whawhawhaaattt???

So what happens when someone puts a complaint in to their local council when their neighbour is growing other herbs of strong odor such as basil, dill, mint and so on?

If this was not marijuana but beans this would never be an issue. The Kurtz woman may legitimately smell something but it may also be she does not like living near a marijuana plant or farm and should move. America is a free place that allows us to live, garden, and work where we want to when I did not like the area I was living any more I left. Given a chance people against MMJ will use any excuse or process to harass patients, or their caregivers, legally with Municipal or State Ordinances further stigmatizing the most vulnerable citizens the infirm.
Ms Kurtz would never dream of complaining about a garden of any other type to City Officials nor would she be heard.

I would feel differently if the smell was harmful like cigarette smoke. But he could make the same arguement about her rose garden.

For arguements sake, say I hated the smell of roses; could i force my neighbor to stop growing them?

I would feel differently if the smell was harmful like cigarette smoke. But he could make the same arguement about her rose garden.

For arguements sake, say I hated the smell of roses; could i force my neighbor to stop growing them?

My exact thoughts.

Let say my neighbor likes to cook. I don't like the smell of what they are cooking, so.... what then ? They aren't allowed to eat ? Or they can eat, just can't cook ? Who could afford to eat out all the time ? Same goes for meds. Some people can't afford the insane prices quality medicine demands.

Simply put: You do NOT have the right to "not be offended", rather it is a privilege, a privilege that can be taken away at anytime by my right to freedom of speech, and my right to safe access of the medicine I need.

:peace:

I think it is important to be mindful of one's neighbors, but at the same turn, one's neighbors should be mindful of you as well. You don't go call the police dept for a natural smell coming from your neighbor's garden. You go to your neighbor and tell them how it affects your senses and try to work out some kind of alternative arrangement amicable to both parties. Calling law enforcement on something that is not a crime, trying to make policy that will move your otherwise good neighbor out of the area or control what your neighbor does in the privacy of his/her own property is NOT fair OR ethical, and should be discouraged, if not downright prohibited and punished.

I feel for the person that can't handle the bouquet of fine ganja--it's the loveliest fragrance in the world. But if it was really honestly affecting my neighbors in a bad way, I'd do something to limit that exposure. Not because I have to, not because it's the law, but because it would be the right thing to do. I don't need some ignorant bureaucrat telling me that I "must" do it with laws and regulations, but my own sense of common decency....:peace:

On daily bases we all are exposed to fumes. Some bad some good depending on your preference. So everybody has different taste in smell. So this lady for some reason has a problem with marijuana. I personally get allergies from my neighbors plants. I would not even think of going to my neighbors and ask them to remove their plants. So where does this lady get off telling anyone that she is offended by the smell. But because its marijuana and some blowhard feels that passing laws against growing marijuana well help him get re-elected. City Attorney Adam Lindgren said Rancho Cordova's approach is "to be protective of the quality of life in neighborhoods. And we've worked hard to ensure that the surrounding uses are compatible and complementary. The city is just starting to look closely at how to balance the rights of residents to be free of neighborhood nuisances against the rights, if any, of medical marijuana users to grow," Lindgren said." If any" rights to protect marijuana patients. This is out right discrimination against sick people. Their has been laws on the books since 1996 here in California saying you can. Lindgren who in the world made you dictator. You most likely will pass a ordinance against growing, knowing nobody who is sick could afford to fight it. Way to go Linda Kurtz. Now you are not just hurting your neighbor but every sick person in your community and state who uses Marijuana to feel better. Now that's a good neighbor... NOT!!!!!! :peace:

Bonehead great post +rep. Charlie Mops, nowonknows, RPsmoke, you are great thinkers and can have a spirited discussion while treating all with dignity and respect +rep!

Irish that is the correct way to be, and to handle this situation! +rep!

trekie, great post +rep!

Unfortunately, it is beyond that now. Once authorities are called in, or City Council members contacted with complaints, there begins a process that is effective at creating more beuracratic bullsh*t than we all want or need (with the exception of Ms. Kurtz whom I am sure is revelling in her 15 minutes).
That being said and understood we as patients need to make our presence felt and warm the seats and ears of Rancho Cordova's City Council members and the city solicitor who thinks he is Thurgood Marshall. In a nutshell these people work for you, the citizens, and serve at our pleasure. Should the City Council no longer represent it's constituents we have a duty to relieve them of office by running for that position or voting them out. Apathy and lack of participation only enable those with self serving agendas to feather their own nest, further subjugating many of the same people MMJ laws were meant to protect.

Bonehead great post +rep. Charlie Mops, nowonknows, RPsmoke, you are great thinkers and can have a spirited discussion while treating all with dignity and respect +rep!

Irish that is the correct way to be, and to handle this situation! +rep!

trekie, great post +rep!

Unfortunately, it is beyond that now. Once authorities are called in, or City Council members contacted with complaints, there begins a process that is effective at creating more beuracratic bullsh*t than we all want or need (with the exception of Ms. Kurtz whom I am sure is revelling in her 15 minutes).
That being said and understood we as patients need to make our presence felt and warm the seats and ears of Rancho Cordova's City Council members and the city solicitor who thinks he is Thurgood Marshall. In a nutshell these people work for you, the citizens, and serve at our pleasure. Should the City Council no longer represent it's constituents we have a duty to relieve them of office by running for that position or voting them out. Apathy and lack of participation only enable those with self serving agendas to feather their own nest, further subjugating many of the same people MMJ laws were meant to protect.

Thank you, and well said.

We DO need to get active. More verbal. As you say "warm the seats and ears". Show them we are not all criminals. If we can't have government law on our side, at least let us win over the people.

:bong:

Back
Top Bottom