Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

I was going to make a thread to do this then decided I didn't want a bunch of people asking for seeds LMAO.

I really want to thank all the people out there growing seeds made by Me. The info I am getting back would take me years to get. Plus what someone else see's is always different.

While the info is cool to get. I have to say SEEING is be-leaving. It is really cool to see a great plant and know I made the seeds. So while some may never see this I have to say. Thank You All.

Big difference between the Orange Hill Special and the Bubblicious! Both were packaged in the same in a paper envelope. Bubblicious was 2 for 2. Orange Hill Special had 2 crushed seeds and the rest rather questionable. Out of the 8 seeds left I got 3 healthy starts and one I am not sure if it will live. I was really hoping for one or 2 from the last few seeds but got nothing.

So that means I needed to start something different. I decided to go ahead and go with a regular strain as I was planning to find males in a few of these seeds. I decided on another of my hybrids. Well it is not a hybrid I made but 1 I got for free lol. They are from the Tangilope that was grown with the rest of the JC 2 pollinated females. I know that these are from JC 2 pollen. I am hoping to see if there is a difference for it than the ones that are supposed to be crossed with female Tahoe pollen. With both mothers being Tangilope it is going to be tough for sure. I am hoping to find different smells at least. I know there was some residual pollen in the feminized seeds. A male showed up when someone else grew out a similar hybrid from the reversed Tahoe Og.

So that's what is new. Mostly anyway. I am going to re-plumb the air system on the big tent. I am not getting good enough air flow threw the light. I think if I reroute it I can drop tent temperature a few more degrees. This is why I am running the tent when my plants are just starts.

While the growing part of this journal is started and looks to be on track. I am going to have troubles this new grow.

As I mentioned internet here is really slow. The price to increase my internet speed is more than I will pay. I get internet till around 7 am then it slows to the point it is not worth messing with. Not a big deal as I am up everyday around 3 to 4 am anyway. I don't do a lot on the internet so it is hard to pay to increase the speed. After a few hours in the morning looking at news and a few wed sites I rarely turn a computer on. I don't do anything on my phone. Even google searches on my phone take a while after 7 am.

Like I said not having internet doesn't bother me. Now not being able to show off? that bothers me LMAO. I enjoy posting pictures of whats going on. Not going to be happening anymore I guess. I just can't justify the extra money for internet when I use it so little. It is not just that the internet is slow. Pictures take a long time to load. The way things sit if I post as many pictures as I did before my journal would never completely load. We shall see together how this will work LOL.

NO more seeds will be started. Going to have to run with what I got. Looks like the plant count should come out close to right. I only have 6 plants from regular seeds. I was planning on 8. I have hopes for one more Tangilope x JC 2 to pop but it may not. No way to know how that will equate to male and females. With only 3 Orange Hill Special I don't think I will be doing any breeding with it. I don't even know if I will get a male let alone what it is going to look like. I also don't know if I am going to like the high yet the effects matter the most to me. I will have to do some cloning and re-vegging this run for sure.

Whats kind of funny is as much planning as I do to start a grow. After the first seeds are started almost anything could join the show to replace seeds that don't pop LOL. I now have enough starts to fill the tent with females at the end. Here is the only look at the plant counts I will have. I am not big post posting some numbers though it really doesn't matter in the end. Here is this years line up.

3 Liberty Haze fem, Barnes Farm
3 Peyote Critical fem. Barnes Farm
3 Chocolate Critical fem
3 Orange Hill Special reg, Dutch Passion
2 Bubblicious fem, Nirvana
2 Tangilope x Tahoe Og reg?
1 Tangilope x JC 2 reg.
1 Blueberry Headband fem, H.S.O.

I only got 1 of the 2 Tangilope x JC 2 to pop. I was hoping on both of them to get a small chance to see if it looks and smells like the Tangilope x Tahoe Og (Which is called Tangiloe). Oh well if the one seed is a female then I am fine. The Tangiloe is supposed to be feminized but a male has showed up in seeds from the Headband x Tahoe Og. Not sure how much JC 2 Pollen took a ride on the reversed females. At least some did. Still out of 6 reg. seeds I only need 3 females. 50/50 is a good basic male/female ratio. It could go either way from there. We will have to see.

Bingo!!! the new lines I ran for the air cooled light worked great. Temps for the last few days runs between 73 and 84. Probably the best temps I have had to date. I have grown in lots of different ones so this should be a piece of cake if things stay like this.

Both the Tangilope x JC 2 seeds had tails yesterday so I put them in soil. Hoping they both come through the top. That would give me 2 each of the Tangilope hybrids to look at. Not only will I be looking to see if they are alike. I need to find out what the JC 2 male is doing to the hybrids I made.

What I just found really funny. I think I will be able to KNOW what happened LMAO. Kind of putting myself up on a pedestal by saying that. Even with what I know I know. There is so much I don't. Maybe growing my own hybrids will teach me.

In saying this it brings me back to how well my mentor can judge a plant with never smoking them. He has found another great pheno from the Sour Diesel x Tahoe Og hybrid. Over the 6 years he has grown out this hybrid he has found 3 phenos that are above and beyond the rest. New one is a Lemon Garlic, it will join Reek and Shoeshine as the best pheno's. This one seems to have tons of trichomes and weight. Something other pheno's didn't have. Shoeshine, a shoe polish smelling pheno is one of the best plants I have smoked. It would not self at all. Best we can do is to find a few that are close in the Reek seeds. Reek while strong does not have the same great high as Shoeshine.

I will be going to get clones of this new pheno. It will be in my next grow I hope. Not only can I not wait to grow and smoke it. I can't wait to breed it. I don't know with what yet but something. For 2 reasons. Like I said my mentor can pick a plant like no one else. Plus it is the pick of the litter out of 45 females I never get to see that many plants before choosing. While I do that on my side. My mentor will be selfing it.

Here are a few pics of my +12ft tall Tangieloe , she just started flowering so she should still stretch quite a bit. Depending on how much ceiling space you have, you may wanna top her.
My Tangieloe in a 25gal pot organic grown, only feed FPJ and FFJ. We had a crazy windstorm so I had to anchor her down.
5B76F386-2C77-4D19-A0BF-30329CFBFE5C.jpeg
48003221-3D51-45D8-A021-0D0EFB2CF67B.jpeg
B60A2B10-B52B-46CB-AEA5-E23B74CF9284.jpeg
B419C3E2-FCB9-44E6-8EE3-524A61DE5950.jpeg

1F7F4CEC-9CD5-4605-A78F-0A6143FDA0FD.jpeg

DC019EA8-B280-408C-9E4A-71ED787931CD.jpeg

LMAO!! Wow that is a beast. Great looking plant. I can really see the Tangilope in it from the side branching. My guess is stretch is what brought it from 10' to 12'. The way the buds are forming up looks to me stretch is mostly done. Now they should only fill out. Not like I KNOW. I have never grown a plant near that tall. Bred one though :cool:. Now you just need to get her to finish in time. I don't know if they make a 4' x 4' x 14' greenhouse LMAO.

I have plans to bend and super crop my Tangilope hybrids. They may end up being the indicator strain of when to flower now though. That is the beauty of the 60 x 60 x 80 tent. There is plenty of room for tall plants in the outside row. That menthol purps I had a couple grows back ended up taller than the light LOL

Looks like the indicas won't be topped this run like planned. With regular seeds I might have a extra female or 2. Plus the fact that some hybrids are going to get pretty tall. To keep the canopy even I may have to bend some and let the others go. Most indicas won't stretch much so they really need to be taller at the onset of flower than their sativa counterparts.

Alrighty then. Everything has showed up for the big game. Last of the Tangilope x JC 2 popped up through the soil. That gives me 2 of each. Not a good look at these 2 hybrids but it will have to do. I got a good look at Tangilope last year. I am hoping I can spot the slight differences between the 2 hybrids. If there are none then they may all be caused by the JC 2 male. A mystery I will be trying figure out for a while lol.

I have been thinking about the Chocolate Critical I started. One of the big things is WHY. I know it is probably not going to be the strongest stuff. That's the weird part. Everything else only gets grown if I think it will be strong. Thing is while not super strong I really liked the high of both. That is why this one interests me enough that I would grow it. I can't wait to see how the 2 strains blend together and what happens to the highs.

I am not sure if I will learn what I hope to learn from this. One thing for sure I won't learn till I try to understand. Thanks to Orlando for lighting a fire under my ass to run some of my own genetics....... I should mention that it is not that I don't trust them. Mostly it is because I have tons of genetics I want to grow out. I don't plan to buy many more seeds so the seeds I am making now will be used in the future. They will also be made from the genetics I liked the most. I realized the answer yesterday. I have been reading about most all these strains for years. That and the fact each new strain is so different keeps me coming back. The mystery of what is going to happen is too appealing. Every grow I find new flavors, highs, and smells. Some flavors and smells I have heard of before but never experienced. My first pineapple pheno was great. I want more of that and I know marijuana is going to bring it to me. Such a great plant to grow.

Ok I was wrong. I would have to be really lucky for the regular strains to produce enough females to finish out the tent. That is the problem with regular seeds. You could get 70/30 female or or 30/70. 50/50 is just a average.

Since I don't know and need to be ready now. I am going to start some more of my seeds. Pretty sure I will be germinating 2 Twiller seeds today. At least I think maybe I will just start a freebie. 2 more might give me to many. HMMM. I will go through the freebies I have and see if what I want to look at. It won't be anything great that is for sure. All my great freebie strains are set to be bred to something in case I like them.

See journals work LMAO. I just decided to do a couple freebies. Which ones I will have to see.

That is why I am saving them. I am going to try them all at once to see whats there and how I can use it LOL. I am for sure going to run Super Lemon Haze with them when I do.

What I ended up choosing should still be pretty good. Good strains just questionable breeders. I have used neither one before or heard too much about them.

The first is Expert Seeds, Gorilla Glue #4 x White Widow. If they had true G.G. #4 and White Widow even bad pheno's should be good.

The second is Blim Burn, Blue Dream same thing here.

I know there are other great breeders other than the select few I use. Might as well look for one. Hell freebie seeds is how I learned about Nirvana and Spliff Seeds. As of now they are just germinated need to see if either pop and grow.

I should mention. One of my Tangilope x JC 2 seeds quit on me. Popped its head above the ground then just quit. After 2 days I looked and it grow both ends towards the top. I found the tap root right next to the leaves with a brown tip. Goofy plant LMAO. That is why I had to add more. Plus it is getting close to veg. time might as well start 2 to get a least one

I had one seed that came up backwards. Tap root up and the leave/shell end went deep. I dug it out and replanted. It survived but it's taking forever to get going. It's called rare darkness, from rare Dankness. Lol. I was just messing with you brother about the lemon skunk. LMAO

I would love to find something in them Lemon Skunk. Rare Darkness I love that. Especially if its a indica. Perfect night time weed.

The only new development is that I will be moving most of the starts under the MH light today. I am going to keep the real young ones under florescent for another week

Ok here we go. This
1510030-f08ac1f895278bc79d6dc00766dc6eac.jpg

Turned in to

1513233-317ccacc77d75ea019116148bcc47c2b.jpg

This.
Last plant of the previous grow. 6 other strains are in week 6 of flower and are doing well. Some got water some didn't. Wow! interesting stuff LMAO.
I learned early on plants don't need a whole lot of help from me. I find it best to leave them alone though I have been known to stare at them for long periods. So while I can do now more for then today I will turn my attention to the task at hand.
I have clones from this plant
1511190-b885e7b4cec011f9159a037a4cb6b3d3.jpg

The plan is to reverse one to self this and one other set of Purple Betty clones. This is one of my favorite strains so I am going to make female seeds for simplicity. So that means I am going to have female pollen. The pollenated plants will be grown along with my next grow. That is the problem. If I have the opportunity to make a hybrid if one arises what do I want that grow to be.
I know of and hate mediocre weed and strains. So I will not just make some random hybrid. The plants have to be worth the time and energy. Every strain has its special plants. Its those special plants that you want for breeding. Its what plants do I want to give a chance to show me something special. There are so many things to consider when you dealing with 10 or 20 strains. It gets a little overwhelming when you have over a hundred to choose from. Lots of people think it is great to have tons of strains. With ownership comes responsibility. So having them is nothing if they are not used.
Here is where I sit as of now. My favorite strain is Blueberry Headband. I have finally got some so that one is a shoe in. Now I must choose strains that will fit my needs and also give me chance to find a special plant for a hybrid. 9 plants is all there is going to be. 3 will be sativa and mostly sativa the rest will be hybrids and indica. I am torn between finding like type strains that would blend well. Or finding radicle terpene profiles to blend.
It seems this line up is changing daily and will tell the day I get seeds wet. If the line up started today here is what it would be.
Sativa
2 Super Silver Haze
1 C-99 ( Grim Brothers )
Others
2 Blueberry Headband
2 Chem
1 M.O.B.
1 Misc. to be named later
The hard part is that these greats strains are on the bench and sound pretty good also. Tangalope, Afgooie, Acapulco Gold, Bubblegum
I'm jelly fish of your grow hell yeah brother

Man with all the genetics you have I don’t know how you select what to run!! Just out of what I have im having a hell of a time choosing what to run!! I know for sure this winter we’re gonna do a PurpleBetty pheno hunt, but until then I’m stuck lmao!!!
So glad to see that your up and running again, to be honest I was kinda lost without you having a grow going lol.
Hope you have a stellar day bro!!!

Mystery Cleaner. It is the one JC 2 hybrid I expect the most out of. The Genius hybrid could also be very good. If I get any females from the Tangilope hybrids. I may know more about the JC 2. I am going to loose one of the starts. To much or it didn't like the Cal/Mag I added when I potted it. It pretty much burned itself up. The MG soil didn't help things I am sure. Still most of my starts do fine in it. Oh well is all I can say. Only 2 Tangilope hybrids made it, one of each. So not much to find out there. Other than if I like it. I am hoping at least one is female.

Plants under the MH light are doing great. I moved the Chocolate Critical under it yesterday. Only 3 starts left under the T-5 light. They will get a week or 2 of low intensity light. The way things worked out they will be needed. This will also be the best chance I am going to see what my genetics are doing. If this hybrid comes out like either parent they will be fine. The thing is they probably won't do that.

Trichome size is one of the differences between these 2 strains. They both have a lot of them but the Critical has larger ones. Logic says if the Chocoloco had larger trichome's it would be stronger. Plus the Critical has so much flavor half of it would make the Chocoloco taste and smell better. Both these traits are known to be transferred by pollen. The male/female you use is to transfer the traits that you want. Now if I could get a pheno that had 1/2 of each parent the outcome should bump the THC rating close to the 20% range. A 20% Chocoloco with flavor would be F**king incredible.

Well everything is batting right along. I will be re-potting soon. At least for some of them. I have starts in about every stage now. Some ready to re-pot others just barely through the soil. I also have more than I am going to need if my male/female ratio for the 5 regular seeds low. I guess only the strong will survive LMAO.

Kind of hoping for a male from the Orange Hill Special now. With only 3 healthy plants out of my 8 seeds that came in a pack of 10. This is it for O.H.S. I also don't know if it really matters LMAO. It could suck. Still having a chance to spread a little pollen would be nice.

I plan to take clones and try and self the Blueberry Headband. Or at least that was the original idea. Any one that follows this thread know I question feminizing feminized strains. I know it can be done I just have not had much success with do it. That makes Orange Hill Special a good candidate to self. Considering it comes from regular genetics I think I have a better chance with it. I can keep the clones around long enough to see which plant I want to spray. I may not know anything about the high but I will know frost and smell by then. That might be enough. That would give me a selfed O.H.S. and a hybrid of O.H.S. x Blueberry Headband. That might be interesting.

Nothing beats a nice young natural male for pollinating shit LOL. That is why I hope for a male. Even not knowing much about the male I know it will give me a few seeds. That is the beauty of pollinating only a branch or 2. If the Mother comes out spectacular you are good to go for at least a trial run. If your not happy with the female then just throw out the seeds. I know there are a few strains I have made that I will never grow. Hit and miss is not the way to run a business breeding but it works for a red neck like me.

It is re-potting day! I am going straight to the 2 gallon pots this time. Takes a little longer for them to take off but in the end it works out about the same. When I get my veg tent set up I will go back to a 1 gallon intermediate pot.

Everything is looking pretty good so far. One of the Peyote Critical is totally different. Looks to be Kush genetics so I am going to have to keep a eye on it. The Liberty Haze and the Chocolate Critical both seem to have all the same looking pheno's. O.H.S. are all different. 2 are really kicking ass. Regular seeds so these 2 worry me. It always seem my best regular plants early always end up male. The one ugly Tangilope x Tahoe Og is still alive. I will re-pot it to see if I can pull it through. I have plenty of starts so I will be able to go with the best females for flower. I just don't know what some of them will be yet. Most are feminized so there won't be many males. Hermies who knows lol.

I have already started super cropping the taller plants. I have noticed a couple do not seem to be responding to it very well. I will decide in a couple weeks which ones to top. Sometimes even if they don't respond to super cropping they will to bending. I know one thing. It looks like I will be needing a few booster seats to even up the canopy this grow. Bending saved me last time maybe it will again. I will have to see how things go. With no major finish time needed now I can flower when I want. I have thoughts of maybe trying to keep more females and flower earlier. We will see how they spread out. I do have one plant up for adoption. After a terrible start at outdoor plants a friend wants to move indoors. We will see if we can find a way that works for them. They did have 1 outdoor plant pull through. It was the CBDdurban. It had to be moved to the greenhouse with high daytime temps so I am sure the production will be effected. It is still making buds so it will produce something. We did some moving around yesterday to get it a little more light. The grasshoppers are not eating it up anymore so all is good there at least. Well of the screw up my back have a good day folks.

Back
Top Bottom