Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

Well the plants big move was a lot simpler than mine was LMAO. Everything is done and looking good as of now. Well not everything. I have 3 plants that will still need to be up potted when then get bigger. Now we wait. It is going to take them a few days to reach the edges of the 2 gallon pots. Once they do watch out they are going to go into overdrive. Veg can be a fun time when they are growing bigger every day.

I think the hardest thing is vegging under the 400 watt MH. I have used big lights for so long it is hard to drop wattage. The big think is convincing myself that I don't need big yet. MH is better light for veg plus at 4 to 8" tall I don't need tons of penetration right now. I use corrected HPS bulbs so they have a little more blue spectrum than regular HPS do that helps in veg. I still always wondered what it would be like vegging under a 1000 MH then flower with a 1000 HPS. I don't see that ever happening as LED's are in my future.

Thinking about Timber lights right now. Hard to get good info on COB led lights. I want a US company with great lights and good support. All the compacted units that have just add a couple a COB LED's to their burple lights are not going to work for me. I want a professional built COB unit that is ready to go. Still need to do more research on them. I am wondering how easy it is or if you can replace the COB's when they go bad. I would hate to end up without a light 8 to 10 years from now. Easy to replace a bulb at $60. On the bright side I should have these dinosaur lights still packed up somewhere LOL.

I couldn't stand it. Even though a 400 watt MH was enough light for the tent. I swapped it out for the 1000 HPS. Only at 75% right now but it spreads the light out wider. Temps are all good. Plus I need to see how this system is going to run with the 1000. Might as well check it out now.

Most everything loved the re-pot and is taking off. I hate up-potting to this big of pot. It is hard for a couple weeks to get watering just right. Really easy to over water because the roots have not got to all the soil yet. Plus it is easy to underwater at this time because of that. I really have to keep a eye on the top of the plant and the leaves. I have had the bottom of pots become dry because I don't fully water like I normally do. I do this to avoid over watering and having water logged soil. If a plant is slightly wilty the day after watering you either gave it too much or not enough. Sometimes it is really had to decide which one it is. So far so good.

I took the time to snap a quick pick. The cat loves this grow room as much as the last so she decided to join the girls. Plus this shows I didn't just use a internet picture LMAO.

Most plants have been super cropped at least once. You can see a few already starting to bush out. I will be starting to bend next week I think. Strains known to stretch will be bend for sure. Others will be evaluated to see if they need it. I am not sure if I will be topping anything. I was planning on topping the Bubble Gum, They seem to be bushing out fine so I will wait on that. The bushier they are the less plants I can fit in there. That's a line I need to see someday. What would do better? A bunch of single stalked plants or a few bushy ones. Age would be the key here. I could do lots of small plants with clones I know. Hard to do from seed with lots of different strains doing different things.

I even moved the last 2 starts under the big light. Might be a few days early but they seem to be fine. I still need to get the last 3 starts in big pots.

All is well here. Everything is going well enough I figure to do a little bending this next week. I will re-pot the final 3 plants today. It might be a bit early for the last 2 but they will catch up.

Everything is grown enough now to start seeing the different pheno's which is fun. Still no clue as how they will turn out but its a good time to start noticing differences. One major one is jumping out. The Peyote Critical has one totally different pheno that has huge leaves. This one has Kush written all over it. I am a little surprised to see that "T-2" the second Tangilope hybrid crossed with JC 2 has shorter fatter leaves than Tangiloe. It is also doing lots better than Tangiloe in MG soil. Tangiloe doesn't like MG at all. All kinds of leaf problems are showing up clawed fingers and all. It will be fine and grow out of it. One of the Tangilope did it as well and ended up fine.

The Blueberry Headband is a interesting plant. Leaves are laid out wide giving this one great light penetration. One thing weird that I have not noticed much before is how much this plant relaxes when the lights are off. When the lights go on it takes a couple hours for it to really wake up. Leaves are hanging really bad to the point it always looks under watered. Later in the day it all goes away so I know it is fine. Still it was close to being over watered because it looked so bad in the morning. I have seen this before just not to the point this plant is showing. The way it lays out all the time I am thinking this is going to be couch potato weed LMAO.

I was so sure life would be simple when I got moved. No more breaks is a great chance to start doing the things I need and want to do. WELL that's out LOL. Now that I plan to buy this house I am going to need to do a bunch of work to it to be sure it will last as long as I do. Because of this I am going to have too many people bouncing around the house to have things going. So that means waiting another year to do what I really want to do. I am thinking about any side projects I might do in the mean time.

The one strain I want to put most of my energy in can't be named at this time. It's a secret LMAO. I know what it is going to be now at least. My strongest strain LOL. Purple Betty is my favorite and probably one of my strongest strains and most indica. Tangy and C-99 are the best motivating sativa's I have. I have plans for C-99 elsewhere so Tangy is the one I will be crossing into PB. I will be going both ways (First time for me LMAO) on this hybrid. Both will be pick of the litter females and then the best male I can find. I don't have lots of Tangy seeds so picking through the males is not a option. PB I will grow out lots to find the right male. Tons of terpenes and trichomes in both these strains. I don't know what is going to happen when I cross it. For some reason I am pretty sure it is going to be kick ass. What I don't know is if I will like it fine as a hybrid or if I will want to look around and make a S-1 hybrid for my signature strain. I really want to get this one finished right. I will make a lot of seeds over time. This is the one I hope to be able to brag about.

Tell then it looks like I will be running back up strains. No big deal I have plenty to choose from. I might even do a Mentor grow and not grow any store bought seeds. I have enough feminized strains of his to do a whole grow. Sativa is where it gets tricky. I would need to add one of my hybrids for that. We will see.

Good morning Jack. I know you were talking about names for your seed venture. I ran across this and thought of you
Screenshot_20190922-075620.png

I couldn't stand it. Even though a 400 watt MH was enough light for the tent. I swapped it out for the 1000 HPS. Only at 75% right now but it spreads the light out wider. Temps are all good. Plus I need to see how this system is going to run with the 1000. Might as well check it out now.

Most everything loved the re-pot and is taking off. I hate up-potting to this big of pot. It is hard for a couple weeks to get watering just right. Really easy to over water because the roots have not got to all the soil yet. Plus it is easy to underwater at this time because of that. I really have to keep a eye on the top of the plant and the leaves. I have had the bottom of pots become dry because I don't fully water like I normally do. I do this to avoid over watering and having water logged soil. If a plant is slightly wilty the day after watering you either gave it too much or not enough. Sometimes it is really had to decide which one it is. So far so good.

I took the time to snap a quick pick. The cat loves this grow room as much as the last so she decided to join the girls. Plus this shows I didn't just use a internet picture LMAO.

Most plants have been super cropped at least once. You can see a few already starting to bush out. I will be starting to bend next week I think. Strains known to stretch will be bend for sure. Others will be evaluated to see if they need it. I am not sure if I will be topping anything. I was planning on topping the Bubble Gum, They seem to be bushing out fine so I will wait on that. The bushier they are the less plants I can fit in there. That's a line I need to see someday. What would do better? A bunch of single stalked plants or a few bushy ones. Age would be the key here. I could do lots of small plants with clones I know. Hard to do from seed with lots of different strains doing different things.

I even moved the last 2 starts under the big light. Might be a few days early but they seem to be fine. I still need to get the last 3 starts in big pots.
Lmao at the cat in the picture. I had one that was identical to it and could b found in every pic I took stalking me from afar. Looks like you have your hands full as usual and every time I find this journal your up to something new lol. Good old 1000w seems to have that tent lit up nicely for some fast growth. I know nothing about breeding and learning a lot along the way just by picking up bit and pieces here and there. So thanks for the random thoughts.

Glad to hear your ladies are doing good my friend!! The Tangiloe I have going outside almost seems to hate nutes. I started out feeding every other watering like normal, but she got pissed quick lol. So now I feed her every other week and seems to love it!! Her stretch ended at 13ft now she’s starting to pack on the frost!! Smelling like dank tangerines!!!
I’m trying to get some plants cycled through so I can get some of these MysteryCleaner beans started!!
Hope you have a good day man!!!

Good morning Jack. I know you were talking about names for your seed venture. I ran across this and thought of you
Screenshot_20190922-075620.png

Well that ones out LMAO. My banner was better lol. I best be keeping my next name a secret till I need it. Not that I think this guy stole my name. The name is not to much of a reach as most growers are or were a outlaw when they started growing.

Lmao at the cat in the picture. I had one that was identical to it and could b found in every pic I took stalking me from afar. Looks like you have your hands full as usual and every time I find this journal your up to something new lol. Good old 1000w seems to have that tent lit up nicely for some fast growth. I know nothing about breeding and learning a lot along the way just by picking up bit and pieces here and there. So thanks for the random thoughts.

Yeah that is my main guard cat. She loves the grow room. Inside or out. When the tent is closed up she sleeps next to the open vent on the bottom catching just a bit of the warm glow lol. I would never give them free run of everything but they very seldom pay much attention to the plants.

Broke out the cuffs and shackles last night for a little fun. 7 females have now been bent over and tide up.

That comment on any other site would get attention. Here not so much LMAO. To tell the truth my bondage is not near as severe as some that do it. Not all will be bent and twisted. Lots of plants are bushing out and staying low just fine the way they are. Some strains are going to get a little of each because of pheno types. Orange Hill Special and Peyote Critical are 2 of them. Both have totally different pheno's. Bubble Gum is different. It is also going to get one of each because they are the same. The B.G. is bushing out fine with just super cropping. I don't know that it needs to be bent. Might as well do one and see if one produces more than the other.

Hey Orlando. The T-2 is totally different looking than the Tangiloe. So much so that I can see the differences even at this stage. Not just in the leaf type but growth structure also. I know this one has to be from the JC 2 male as it was the only pollen used in that tent. The fact that they are so much different has me thinking that the JC 2 was fairly dominate in the hybrid. That fact has me even more interested in the Mystery Cleaner. Now to figure out which one to go with next run. The Mystery Cleaner or G.I. Jane.

Glad to hear your ladies are doing fine, it’s so weird not seeing pics of your girls every morning.
I bet that T-2 is going to be some straight fire, what’s her structure like? The Tangiloe started to really put off those Tangie terps and packing on the frost!! I was worried she wasn’t going to have much of either, then all of a sudden both came on strong lol. Her stretch topped out at 12ft 9in tall!!!
That GI Jane is no joke some potent smoke and a super easy plant to grow. My top 2 favorite are the Bandana and GI Jane.
I think the MysteryCleaner would be the funnest to grow because I don’t know what to expect with her!!
Hope you have a good day my friend!!!

Family Photo.

Even after just a day the first bent plants are responding well. I went ahead and did 5 more last night. Pretty sure all that need it are done. Now we wait for them to become happy little bushes LMAO.

Sorry about the pics Orlando. Even these small pics take a long time to move around and post. I don't know what I am going to do come flower time. Its not just posting pictures. Even opening a thread with lots of pics takes a long time to open and answer. Takes a few minutes just to like something lol. On the bright side if I decide to write something it usually takes me so long to type that everything is loaded LMAO. Still I need to figure out something.

T-2 which is a name I just wrote on the tape to identify turned into a name I really like so it stays. (Forgot it was the name of the second Terminator movie.) The major difference is it seems to want to be a bush more than a tall sativa like Tangilope was. Leaf color is different finger length is shorter. Problem is it is a week or so behind so I can't tell for sure. Here in a few days I will get a side by side picture to show the differences.

Sure glad Tangiloe decided to start packing on the trichomes. They are kind of needed LMAO. Where I really noticed the citrus terps in Tangilope was when smoked. They were not strong and over powering smell wise when they were growing. Weird as lots of strains with tons of smell don't have strong flavor. One with strong flavor and low smell is different. Even with a crappy flush it has tons of flavor.

Girls are all looking nice and healthy as usual. I really like the way the plant in the back 2nd girl on the left is looking structure wise!! What cultivar would that be if you don’t mind me asking??
I totally understand the slow internet thing lol. Out here in BFE where I live there is only 1 company that offers internet and it’s slow as fuck. We pay extra for the fastest internet they have but it’s still so slow I don’t have the patience to wait on it. So I just use the wife’s cell phone to post pics and look at peoples journals.

That one is Liberty Haze. All of the L.H. did real well with the super cropping and bending. None quite like the one you mentioned. I wish all plants reacted like that one did. It also looks like they will be back row plants LOL.

I went ahead and bumped up the light to 1000 watts. I think it puts out better quality light that way. At 750 watts or less the light appears more yellow than when it's on full power. Its a corrected bulb so maybe that is why. It might need full power for all the spectrum's to shine through. Nothing wrong with more power anyway. Temps are still ok at this point.

Temp is going to be lots higher than I normally run. Nothing real bad. I always tried to avoid anything over 85 degrees. Because it was so close to the temp that shuts down plant growth. After last years harvest. I am thinking a little time in the 90's is better than lots of time in the 60's.

I avoided the 90's so much that last year my head turned 80 and 90 around. I kept temp from 60 to 78 degree's. Everything grew really well in those temps. I think buds size and bulk might be the only thing effected. I expected more weight out of what I got. We will see if temps in the 70's and 80's will help LOL. By the time I get to full flower temps will be low enough in the house for the tent to stay below 90's most of the time. I have to see what the temps run when plants are grown and in full flower to be sure. Lots of people may notice I pay very little attention to humidity. It really does matter a lot. Just not where I live. Humidity never becomes a problem here unless temps are way high. Actually the higher temps I am running now seem to have humidity at a lot better level. It runs in the 40's and 50's now. If anything I should be adding humidity. Doing that might cause more problems than it solves. Sometimes it is better to just let things be.

I really have to pat myself on the back for the thermometer thought LOL it is working great. A indoor outdoor thermometer with the outdoor sensor in the grow room gives me info at a glace. I mounted the main part in the living room where I can glace at it when ever I want. I bought another unit to do the outside. Now from my chair I can see outdoor, living room, and grow room temps. When I go into flower I may mount the sensor inside the tent. As of now I can tell by the room temp what the tent temp is. As long as I don't go to high with ambient temps in the house then the tent will be fine. When buds are at stake I may change my mind. I highly suggest growers do a similar thing with thermometers, easy info is great info.

Well I went off to a wedding for a couple days. Came back and all is well with the girls. They are still adjusting to the bigger pots. I hate watering little plants in big pots. Looks like 3 plants are calling out for Cal/Mag. I gave one a dose last night. I will hit the others next watering. I usually give it to all plants when I re-pot. I also always run into a couple that don't like it at that time. Decided to wait this time because of that. Looks like which ever way I go I am going to have a couple plants I need to baby for a bit.

Between that and the plants that don't like the nuits in the MG soil I am in kind of a ugly stage right now. Everything should be looking great in another week or so.

Now for some random stuff. Ran into a couple great pot heads at the wedding. One kid actually managed to one up me. I brought 3 strains to the wedding he brought 6 different strains. Gorilla Zkittlez shatter was the big winner as we couldn't go smoke all the time. Shatter and wax where making the rounds in the reception room lol. My favorite new friend was a 30 something bubbly brunet from Arizona. She was a blast the fact that she was beautiful made becoming friends real easy LMAO. We became fast friends as we were both seated at the riff raff table. I don't think I have ever met a woman that loves pot as much as she does. She had to fly to the wedding and couldn't bring anything with her. Not only did I get to change all that. I had brought enough to hold her over tell she had to leave. That made me her new favorite person. What's really funny is she ended up being my ex- stepdaughter's (The bride) stepsister. Modern american family's where in attendance. The bride had 2 of her 3 fathers plus 2 mothers represented, the groom had 2 dad's there LOL. No fights or drama and I wasn't the drunken idiot doing stupid shit made this a great wedding. That's when my new friend came in real handy. The idiot was a crazy woman that I have known for years and barely get along with. She was drunk and in heat and going after every man in the place. She was after me so bad my new friend actually thought she was hitting on her LMAO. I broke down and even had a few beers with everyone. While the music may not have been to my liking half the time. Watching a bunch of 30 something people party was actually quite fun. The kid that one upped me with weed ended up in a dance of with another guy that had everyone rolling with laughter. All and all it was a great time. The bride was beautiful as any plant I have ever grown. That's saying a lot coming from me LMAO.

I see Timber lights is now a sponsor. That could end up being a good thing. I am planning on ordering some of their lights. It will be nice to have someone to bitch to if I don't like them after spending my life savings LMAO.

One thing about them. I will be having a on going comparison. Pretty sure I am going to find I like and need the heat from my HPS lights through the fall and winter. I know it will be to hot to run them through the summer so that's when I will use the LED's. Storage is one of my big worries. I would hate to have something get broken while not in use. I will have to see.

Already starting to look into what I want to start for next grow. Normally it is really easy. I still want to wait for anything big till I can get this place bought and fix up. Everything I need to do evolves keeping clones, males, and mothers around for at least a grow or 2. I don't want my best genetics at risk at that time. With over 150 strains I think I can manage LOL. The problem lies in the fact of strains I know I like. It is always best to have at least 2 you know you are going to like. Then the rest don't matter as much. Lots of unknown strains in this grow not sure I want to follow it with another one full of unknowns. Regular strains is where it gets hard. I have lots of store bought regular strains I want to look at. If I choose them I then won't be able to run G.I. Jane one of my regular strains I had planned to run.

I have 3 plans as of now LOL. on the bright side I should be set up to clone veg and flower by then so I can really do what I want if needed.

Spend the day yesterday moving shit around. Making room for all I need to do. It was so much easier when I had "Too much room" Hell back at the other house I had a whole room just for taking pictures LMAO.

Trying to make room for a veg tent and a place to take pictures. Looks to be possible now that I have shifted things around. Not only did I find the room I ordered a new tent to fit it. Of course with a new tent you need a new light LMAO. I also put a order in to Timber Lights for a 4 VL and the cute little Chibi light. They are both in 3500K so I can do everything with both of them. I was told the 4 VL is actually to much light for the 48" x 24" x 60" tent. Had to explain to the guy my taste for overkill. Still this light will do lots of things. This is the light that will tell me if I like the switch to LED. Looks like I won't be getting a Fatty light. I will probably just get another smaller light to run with the 4 VL when I use it in the 60" tent. in the summer. Like I mentioned for the best temps I am going to need a combination of lights to get me through the whole year.

The Cute little Chibi light is going to be the main lighting in the Selfing chamber I am going to make. I say selfing chamber but it will be used for males, re-vegging, and any other little projects my mind can come up with. Looks like I am still going to have all that I had before just on a much smaller scale.

Back
Top Bottom