Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

You are right. With lots of strains if it is not a S-1 than it will have a hybrid like variety. Even selfing can bring surprises if the strain itself is not very stable. The apple pheno of Critical I get is one of those special treats you find when that happens.

I totally agree Penny. When things start changing from mom lots can happen. I think that is where all these totally different flavors and smells are coming from. Somewhere along the line they are extending their terpene profiles. Like you mentioned sometimes it is the THC content is different too.

I like that in what I am growing. Once you have a pretty good idea that the THC content is high enough. New smells, flavors and THC content are a bonus.

Cannalope Haze. Boy I like this strain. Even with all the newer stronger strains out there. I have grown lots of them. I knew this when I grew the strain again. I am just surprised how well it satisfies me even with a high tolerance. One Phenotype is all laugh your ass off old school sativa. You want the happy weed you had as a kid this is it. Play time with the cats is so funny you are almost tired when it is over. That's good weed there bro!

This only brings me to the point that I need to figure out how I plan to hybridize it. I know for sure this is the strain I will make Headband Haze with. I also plan to feminize/self Cannalope. But where else would this work?

Everyone knows I like to breed. Now that I have lots of random genetics to grow. I can now start being lots more selective. As of now I only have a couple strains I plant to breed with. Having males is the main reason.Knowing the effects is the other. As easy as they are for growing. Feminized seeds are harder to make. A basic F-1 is easier and should create more seeds. When I start up feminized is going to matter a lot less.

I now know the effects I like and kind of where to find them. Now it is time to see if mixing those effects gives me the outcome I want. The Headband Haze I plan is a easy one. It is what I mean about the mixing of effects. After trying a dispensary version of it I did some research. Headband x Cannalope was one of the hybrids I found. It was so similar to what I know of these 2 strains I am sure this was it. I have both strains dried and smokable. I love them both. This blend is exactly like I want.

Thing is you can only blend strains so much then you end up with the bunch of the same shit. I don't want to wear out the specialness of Headband or Cannalope. Headband Haze would only join the rotation of strains. This way I can take a break from a strain and still have a similar product I can depend on.

Smoke more? LMAO do you realize how much I smoke already?

Oh yeah you said if you are not high enough LOL.

Nice way to see what a strain can really do though. Late in the day when I have smoke a bunch of weed. Will a strain get you higher? Some do some don't. I have strains I really like the high of that don't have the power to make me lots higher in the evening. At night it has little effects. First high of the day it is a very nice ride. Perfect rainy day weed.

The indicator that I did good this year is I only have a few strains that fall in this category. Genius is one of those strains and also the strain that is great rainy day weed. It is also a strain that has a ceiling. While it has a pleasant potent high. It only gets you so high. It does get you there fast it just won't take you beyond that.

The Genius I have is NOT something you could just smoke more of to get higher. No worries I have plenty that will LMAO.

Nothing like going back through the old genetics book. You find lots of things that you missed. Mostly I noticed I REALLY need to update my book. On the bright side there are more strains added than there are missing ones. Some were grown but more were added LOL.

One of the real treats I found was Sand Storm from Cannabiogen. I am not big on landrace strains but this one is different. It's been to a grow room and has been worked over. It is a Chitral Kush x Moroccan. The Moroccan has been with them long enough to get a special name. I forget what they call it. Thing is it is a nice mix of hash making strains. Both Kush and Hash Plant are in there. That is the main reason I got it.

While I have a Afghani Strain. It is a landrace one. Sand Storm has that little bit extra. The fact it has spent more time in a grow room is big.

I mentioned a few days ago about looking for something to breed my Cannalope Haze with. This could be it. I need to grow it first. Now that I have reread the original info I have on this strain it may be perfect just as it is. It is not that it is a overly powerful strain. It is their stated effects that catch my eye. Sounds like everything I am looking for just as it is. If so that's great. From now on I plan to only breed for effects. Any hybrids will now include 2 strains I already like the effects of not just one.

Along these lines. If the Sand Storm is happy weed as the explain it than it will be a perfect match to Cannalope Haze which has different enjoyable effects. Happy weed x Giggle weed = ????

I don't know if it is in the terpene or not. I know they have a lot to do with the effects of Marijuana. While happy may come from terpenes. I think the Giggle part is in the THC.

Happy weed is easy. It is the stuff that as your eyes close slightly the muscles in your face pull your mouth into a smile. This effect can be referred to in many ways. Shit eating, Stupid, and a few more. Mostly it is a grin that just won't seem to go away. It must be a mind or muscle thing. When a smile is on your face planned or unplanned you seem to be happier.

Giggle weed while similar is something totally different. Mostly you find it in sativas. Most are probably on the lower THC level but not all. I have mostly found it in Thai and Mexican sativas. Maybe as we breed strains stronger we lose the giggle part. I hope not. Something about weed that can make funny shit hilarious I just love.

That was what the old Colombians were all about, you just wants to go outdoors and throw a frisbee around. Big grin and everything was just funnier. Not easy to find with the latest hype strain of the month.

I think the giggles are just hard to capture. To tell the truth I think it is in low THC levels. The stronger we are breeding strains we could be jumping right passed it.

Might be a good thing. Giggle weed makes laughter so easy. If you made it to strong you would just light up laugh for 2 hours than fall asleep LMAO.

What's really funny is I want that strain

I can believe that. Probably wasn't any 30% strains at that time LOL. It is all about felt effects not percentages. Which brings us right back to personal preference.

It is going to be a long time before I figure it all out. It is all about what is in the trichome. Lots of shitty strains are covered in trichomes. Powerful strains are covered in trichomes too. The one thing I have learned is you can't tell shit by looking.

This last grow. The 3 frostiest plants don't have the greatest effects. They all seem to be plenty strong. I just didn't get the right combination of THC and terpenes to make them great. That is why finding that ONE phenotype is so important.

While I like Alpha Dawg and it is plenty strong. The effects doesn't hit me just right. Others may smoke this plant and find the best pot ever. At least in strength. It is easy to tell a few more terpenes might have put this strain over the top. The high is quite noticeable just not in the realm where I like it. Some heady strains float your head others blanket it. Alpha Dawg is a lead blanket

I suffer badly from what MMJ doctors here were calling strain tolerance before they eliminated medical from the marketplace.

No matter what strain (except for one pheno I grew whose effect was extremely psychedelic) I am currently using, it's effects will be down to nothing by the 3rd-4th day of use. Indicas are the primary culprits, but sativas do the same after about a week.

That's why I really like making random, one off, unstable polyhybrids. The sheer number of phenotypes really make my life easier.

Ganjagrowergu. I understand what you are talking about. Maybe not to the extent that you do. That brings me right back to variety. Even with lots of strains there are going to be hits and misses.

I agree that the broad differences in some F-1 hybrids makes it even easier. My Purple Tahoe had the whole spectrum. This could have been my widest variance in any strain so far. There was everything from a menthol sativa to a powerful Purps pheno that became my new night time weed. Plus everything in between. They were all at least fairly strong.

I have always noticed ceilings and tolerances of weed for a long time. Even now I have strains with low ceilings. These strains work fine early or on their own but won't seem to get you higher or won't be noticed when more is smoked. Pretty much regulates those strains for daytime. Of the others. I don't smoke more than one joint of anything at one time. Because of a large variety I can mix and match stuff so what I smoke one day is different than what I will be smoking the next.

Nothing worse than having weed that won't get you high anymore. Here are a few more things that have helped me with tolerance.

1 grow stronger/better strains. As the saying goes. You are only as high as your weakest plant LMAO. It is not how great the best plant is. How good is the worst plant?

2 grow more of the right strains. After you find the strains that work for you. Look into their offspring and siblings. With this way of thinking a person needs to grow at least 4 different strains. I do lots more.

3 seed supply. Growing only from seed is about the only way to do this right. A person can't have 10 mother plants. Would be nice but most of us can't do it. So a large supply of seeds of all types is needed.

All this gets you right back to personal preference. Your seeds need to be full of strains that work for you. Strains that will work from seed. That means even your worst plant will work. Even if you have to find special times for it. F-1 and homemade hybrids are a great place to look.

You have heard this kind of drivel from me before. It is almost like my montra LOL. I do think that there are ways around tolerance. Not easy but there is a way.

I've found over the years it's good to mix erbs sometimes. If I feel I'm getting a tolerance with one strain, I'll mix it with another one. I also do it when I get too many jars with nothing in them but a small bud or two. I think mixing it up wakes up the cannabinoids or at least my brain receptors :oops::rofl:

Precisely why I haven't gotten back into cloning. If I am counting right, I am currently growing out 9 different strains from 22 (smallish) plants, several are pollinated. I need to build more lights before I can scale up any further.

I always feel like I should be more focused on that Purple Afghani x BCBD Purps strain. 3 distinct phenotypes so far, every one of them excellent. Do you know if those are F1, F2, etc?

I just finished the last of my 12 week Devil's Pitchfork x TTB buds. Talking weed the neighbor says. I sifted my trim for 3 bowls of kief, a bowl of kief seems to eliminate talking and activate yawning, inebriation, audible hallucinations. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom