Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

I run 2 TimberGrowLights 1cob and 1qb love both and my CLW SS440 with uvb, but the old man just made the led plunge and picked up a NextLightMega. That light is a straight fucking beast and at $1600 you really can’t beat it.

Thanks guys. I will look into them. Not the same name brand I was looking at before. (It was a suggestion from the Canadian crowd and may not be available in the USA.) I am sure now days there are a few good options out. I was kind of hoping for someone that has made the switch with success and has never went back LOL.

In lots of crops I have run more light than I really needed. Overkill was never a problem for me as long as I can keep temps right. So I probably don't need a exact replacement for the HPS. I also see the HPS as the best light for marijuana. That may not be true before long. Mostly I want lower electric bills.

Changing comes easy when you have back up lights that you know work LMAO.

I actually did go from a 1k hps to qb's. Only because I have 6' ceilings in my basement at my new house, moved here last fall. I still have the hps and would love to use it again. I'm not sure about the comparison of the two but I do love my qb's. I went from a open bedroom to the little tent. I'm still growing enough for my personal use. So I'm happy. I do miss growing trees tho

When I upgraded lights from florescent/blurple to QBs, it was a game changer. I went from 55w/sq ft to 24w/sq ft; increased my yield, decreased my bill, and eliminated most of my heat problems.

I then decided I could afford to run more lights so I started building them. Bought 10 COBs. I have 2 fixtures of those completely built and running. For heat sinks I used 12" sections of aluminum threshold, for drivers I tore apart an old mars300 from 2015 and cannibalized the drivers, fan, and wire connectors.

Now I have a total investment of about $350 (plus a few hours of build time) in lights over the past year. Electric bill is about $75 per month steady with 4 people in the house plus 2 reasonably sized grow areas. Cost me about a dollar a watt...

Sorry for the ramble, I am just a big supporter of modern grow lighting be it DIY or high end pre-fab. Lol.

Unless I can have someone come to build lights for me I guess I am going to be a buyer. Wiring is something I have done but not with confidence. My hair is curly enough as is LMAO.

Took a trip to my brook trout paradise for a day. The winter was really hard on this lake. It had a pretty severe winter kill. With that said it is still one of my favorite lakes. Still lots of big fish. Only caught one fish this time. Length was 15.5" girth was 11" when you do the math it makes it a 2.3 lbs. How the hell can you bitch about a fish like that LOL. I took a second to snap a picture with a water bottle as reference for size.
View media item 1695096

Having a few second thoughts about a company name to release my mentors genetics under. While I have liked the Outlaw Genetics name for a while. Another thought has come to mind. Lets have some input.

To start is the art work I had done a while back. This one is the dark background one
View media item 1693936

Everything is still going to need to be altered before the final decision is made. Recently I have been playing with the idea of Trailer Trash Genetics. I don't have art work for it. I do have Trailer Trash Betty art work though. I was thinking it could be altered to work with the new name.
View media item 1695097
The whole Trailer Trash thing was kind of a big deal to the breeder. Snobby medical growers were the cause LOL. Because of this I thought it might be a appropriate name.

Any input?

That's a nice fish Jack! We had walleye for dinner few days ago. I love fish. As far as the names Outlaw genetics has a nice simple and catchy badass vibe. Trailer trash also has a certain coolness to it too. It's surly going to make people remember it due to it's uniqueness. I really like the artwork for TTB

If you wouldn't mind a suggestion Ganjagrower. The Da Purps and the Purple Betty are going to be real similar in smell and taste. Purps is Purps and it comes out in both hybrids. The P.B. should be stronger but that is the only major difference.

We just had a discussion about the Double Sour Purple Kush a week ago. I think from all of those it has the largest up side. I would go with it instead of the P.B. Here is the basics on it.

My mentor got them from the same place he got his Sin City Kush. Bred by a couple of brothers in Nevada. He talked with them a lot before purchasing anything. He ended up with the Double Sour, Sin City Kush and Snowdawg. Sounds like Alphakronik to me. They told him it is a extra sour pheno of their Purple Kush.

I think the Kush high would be different enough to give you some difference in your weed. That would give you Querckle and P.B. to run together. They would go well together. While Purple Erkle is just another Purps pheno. Space Queen takes in another direction.

Thanks Dankman. I have to agree. They both have promise. Someday I really need to get real artwork done. I got all the stuff I had from a kid here on 420. I traded him some seeds for the time he spent on them. I really like some of them. Mostly they are starting points. I had lots made up for strains that were only in the planning stage. Lots has changed since then. Some will be never made now.

To tell the truth I really wanted crossed Winchesters for the Outlaw Genetics logo. Pretty sure it was all done with clip art and all he could find was Colt pistols. The kid is gone now. I never heard how he did with the seeds or had him work on any more art. Some of what he came up with was incredible. I will post my favorite one.

My Blue Dream is great the way it is. Plenty strong and fun to smoke. There is one strong Blueberry smelling Pheno with pretty high THC levels. I really want to bring more Blueberry flavor and body high to it. The plan is to breed it with a Blueberry male. Here is the art work for that yet unmade strain. Like I said the kid impressed me with it.

View media item 1695384

I really like the artwork for the dark dream. I'm also a big fan of space queen crosses. I've ran a few with good results. Like most of the crosses with SQ you want to do a decent pheno hunt for the hidden gems. Querkle is one I have not grown but I've smoked it. It used to be really popular around these parts. I've grown Urkle couple years ago. It was really slow in veg, but worth it. Good quality and decent yeild. What's the next fishing trip Jack? I'm gonna try and get out next weekend on my kayaks. Maybe some bass fishing

Kayak fishing is one thing I missed out on. Now they are making such cool boats for it I can't do the work to enjoy it.

Probably going back to Bull lake next. It is time to start running huge stuff for big fish. At Bull I can fish for big fish early and still find a fish or 2 later to pick on or eat if need be. I still need to get back to the mountain lake I fished with the family. Need to go by myself so I can run the huge stuff. That lake has some fat lake trout since they stalked Kokanee in the lake 3 years ago.

I can't show you haw huge this stuff is or even a picture of it LOL. The guy that makes them doesn't want the world to play along LMAO. It works and if he wants it to stay quiet about it fine with me. It is one of the most consistent big fish catchers in the summer months. I catch most of my big fish in the winter and spring. This helps me catch them in summer. I prefer to troll and not jig in the summer. This gives me a way to do that.

I found a 450 upgrade to my trolling motor that will give me spot lock. I will be getting it next year so more jigging may be in my future. Till then I will troll. My first goal is to get a 20+ lbs laker in my boat in in the summer time. My friend already has 30 lber with this same stuff this year. This stuff does work. This year I run mostly it. If I need to jig to meat my goals next year I will.

Lakers are great eaters! I've heard few say they are too greasy, but I love them. Especially when smoked. I'm a fish eater tho. One of my favorite things to do panfish in winter. Last winter I never made it out. This year will be better I hope. Seems the most meat is firmer thru the ice than in summer

When water warms here I don't keep as many fish. Mostly for that same reason. It always seems the meat is firmer and better in the winter and spring months. Spawning times effect different fish at different times of the year. Lots of times the meat will get cloudy around spawning time. Except that brook trout lake. Only lake I have ever seen where fish don't loose anything around spawning time. They are so fat it never effects the meat.

I have told people of my mentors new battle with cancer. One thing it did do was light a fire under him to do some things he had always planned. He is working on strains again which is a good thing. His new project involves Granddaddy Purps.

Kind of cool to be able to get his take on it. It is supposed to be the bench mark for Purple strains. I don't see it. Or have never needed to see it. I have always thought that Purple Betty was better and stronger than Granddaddy Purps. Now we will know for sure.

Here is what we have already learned. Years back when my mentor was breeding Purple Betty. He looked at lots of different Purple strains. He even got some S-1 Purple Erkel. These plants are all short and freaky with lots of crinkled leaves with abnormal fingers. Now that the Grandaddy is up and growing he has found those same characteristics on 2 of the 10 plants. The same thing showed up in Querckle. This tells us a lot. The main thing is that the S-1 Eckle he got was real which is cool. He also crossed with it a Querckle that showed the same traits. Not sure if I need it with a bunch of Deep Purple seeds which is the same genetic make up.

The key thing is. With all these strains showing all the same characteristics. We know it is Eckle. It grows just like everyone says. Short wide plants with tons of internodes that make small rock hard nuggets. Erkle will never grow fast enough or produce enough to be worth growing for most people. That is why all the hybrids. Nowadays you can find a pheno in Deep Purple that grows better and has the same effects.

Pretty sure he is going to clone the Erkle leaning pheno. I am thinking about getting a couple. Not sure yet. I got him now thinking of crossing it with Purple Betty. If not him maybe me if I get clones and do the Purple Betty breeding program I have planned. There may be more flavor in this hybrid.

The biggest thing is. I will get to see Purple Betty and Grandaddy Purps side by side.

Outdoor project is doing pretty good. I don't get to see them much but they are in good hands it seems. My friends wife spends lots of time with them but has never grown. It is her thing so I try not to get to involved. When its done I want it to feel like hers. Here is a quick look at them.

Here they are both together. The Dinafem Critical 2.0 is lots taller and showing lots of sativa traits.

Critical is getting tall. Still a little more veg time and a some stretch. No telling how tall it will get. Internode spacing is amazing outdoors. Even in this terrible growing climate.

CBDdurban is a bushy little beast. This plant had great structure when I grew it indoors. Outdoors the internodes are tighter and tons more of them. This thing is going to be impressive in flower if all goes well. Lots of extreme weather between now and then LMAO.

Back
Top Bottom