Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

I know. Sure glad we don't have that kind of shit indoors. Not that indoor growing doesn't have its own pitfalls. Just not ones that eat everything over night.

Now the game is to just see them survive to finish.

Wow bro I didn’t think they were going to be that tore up, damn grasshoppers anyways!! I hope that stuff works as good as it did for me, it definitely saved my plants from the caterpillars.

Nothing is working. They look even worse now. It would take way to much poison to create a big enough buffer zone for them. Hard when they are the only edible green out there. Going to look into bringing what is left indoors to finish. They are in the greenhouse now which gets way to hot. They won't last long there I don't think. Grasshoppers are killing everything around here. I have been amazed the last couple years of the damage they can do. Saw a ditch full of weeds get eaten down to nothing but stalks in just a day. Totally forgot about them when I agreed to help out with a outdoor grow. I am sure there is a way to do it here. This one wasn't it LMAO.

I have a light not in use right now might as well give it a try. I will update when I know more.

I've never grown outside. Looks like a lot of obstacles. If you plan on bringing them inside make sure you do a good inspection. I've only had bugs once, from a clone that was taken from a outdoor grow

They have a place they say they can be moved too. I will be checking it out at the same time as I build it LMAO. If it is going to work anyway. Going to interesting. Going to have to train them a bit to make it work on the tall one.

Outdoor is doable almost anywhere if everything is planned out right. This go had shitty planning. All I did was choose genetics and the pots. No planning on environmental issues at all.

LMAO. Never believe people when they say they have a perfect place to grow. I checked 3 of their places none of them will work. Green house will be way to hot for the month of August. Looks like they have to stay where they are. On the bright side it looks like the CBDdurban might make it. They don't seem to like it as much as the Critical 2.0 Grasshoppers have moved to the branches on the Critical now for some reason. Parts of it are still doing ok so who knows. It seems the worst is over. Good thing I don't have to watch this in person. Maybe when I go look at them next week things will be different.

As it gets closer to start up time I am starting to reconsider the next grow. LMAO what is new.

Thing is it is for good reason. It is always best to not use your best seeds for a new start up. To much can go wrong. Even though I have run this same system before it will be in a different room in a different house. I am pretty good at solving problems now days. I know most of the problems that will pop up also. Still I would hate to screw up the breeding run I want to make with Purple Betty. It will also make things so much easier than trying to go full bore right from the start. It would be best to see how the house is going to work. I may have to do things different.

Lucky for me I have tons of genetics to use. I still need to make sure what I grow will take care of my needs. I just wont be growing certain strains I will need for breeding. Pretty nice when you have so many quality strains as back up. Of course I will have at least one regular strain. so I will have a male somewhere. not sure if I would want to use it so I plan to use a strain that I don't need to breed with. Or something I have no idea about and just use the male to see what happens. 9 lb Hammer and the Bodhi strains come to mind.

Thing is all the strains I would grow are highly rated on seedfinder. So I really wouldn't be losing much potency wish. The biggest thing is I really don't want to have to breed this run. Want to shoot for simplicity this time. The 2 strains of my own will probably stay the same. Its the others that will change.

So lets vote. Plan A will be the original plan Plan B will be the new strains.

Plan A
Purple Betty
Super Silver Haze
Afgooie
Em Dawg
Twiller, C-99 x Headband
Tangiloe, Tangilope X Tahoe Og
Strawberry Banana

Plan B
9 lb Hammer
Acapulco Gold
Peyote Critical
Liberty Haze
Twiller
Tangiloe
+ freebie seed of some known strain.

I'm on my second run with 9lb hammer. It's middle of the road, average weed. I had 2 pheno's. One tall and larfy and one short with dense nugs. The tall one o only ran once, culled out it's clones. The shorter one is on its last run for me. It's not bad, just not special. IMO.... you might have better luck with it

I get what your saying about not wanting to run your best get at first. So I would go with B, that way when you do run your top gear you will know what your environment is going to be like!! Can’t wait to see you grow the Tangiloe, the one I have outside is over 8ft tall now and still going!!
C0B5ABFC-7570-47BA-874E-E5B465F738AB.jpeg
35D813A3-2908-49FB-80A2-D3D8E8F6EAF6.jpeg
1509EE6F-D750-401F-88AB-44FD086A6402.jpeg
C258666A-2871-421D-93E1-8A2ABA82617E.jpeg

Damn. Great looking plant Orlando. I have really high hopes for that one. Tangie, Tangilope and Cannalope all made great buds. This is going to be a high powered sativa no matter what happens. If the Tahoe can bring what I wanted it to it should be even stronger.

Dankman. Thanks for that update on the 9 lb. While it will fill the need of a practice run strain. Mediocre is my big bitch about strain's these days. I will drop it for sure for now. Still something I will look at someday. I really need to look at these Bodhi strains I have. Angelica is Hell's Og x 88g13 Hash plant. Similar to the 9 lb in ways. Might have a bigger upside than the 9 lb does.

There are other regular strains I need to look that might work their way in. I have a strain called Sandstorm. It is basically a land race Hash Plant x land race Kush. It is supposed to be a very sweet indica. Something I wanted to look at for a cross with Killer Queen in the future. There is a pheno in Killer Queen I really like that is sweet smelling and nothing like C-99. I want to have a great hash plant strain in my line up.

Who knows right now LMAO. I will probably go with the practice run though. No use making the start up harder than it should be. By the time I am ready I will have everything in place and no surprise's. It will also be a middle of the winter run which makes things lots easier.

I don't want a whole lot going on when I make my first summer run in the new house. I might even have a new LED light by the time summer comes. Plans for buying one now are on the back burner. I have way to much stuff that works perfect right now. I will have to change when I upgrade when needed.

Random Thought ALERT!!!!!!!!!

The new regular strain for this next grow has finally been picked. Only going to run one regular strain this time. Some of my genetics might have males also so I need to be prepared. I wanted something that I wasn't chomping at the bit to breed with and still wanted to look at.

Orange Hill Special, Dutch Passion.

It actually has a pretty high rating "7.6" on seedfinder. My new gauge of what to grow. Not all strains there are rated there but enough are. I have found that their ratings are pretty accurate. Lately I am trying to only grow strains with a 7 or higher rating. Last 2 grows all my strains have rated over 7 and I was really happy with the outcome. Even with non rated strains you can kind of figure things out where they stand but comparing other similar stuff. Nothing wrong with growing the lower rated stuff. Some strains I really like are not rated well. It is a very good base line to go on.

Now about Orange Hill Special. It is one of the 3 best orange strains at the time I was stalking up on genetics. I am big fan of the Orange strains, they just have never been that strong. O.H.S. along with Tangie joined Agent Orange in my seed stock. I know I love Agent Orange so it will be grown last. I plan to breed with a male if one shows up. That is where O.H.S. comes into play. It could be the perfect strain for a hybrid. I have issues with Tangie's citrus flavor so I am not sure if I want it in my Orange strain. That leaves O.H.S. While I plan to self Agent Orange I want to make some regular seeds just in case. Now I will know what OHS has to offer.

It being a hybrid on the sativa side I don't really know where it is going to sit on the Couch Potato meter. That will make things interesting. Going to have to make some changes to the line up now. Plus while I didn't plan to breed with OHS there might still be a male. Wouldn't hurt to think of something that might mix well with it. The Acapulco Gold would have been perfect. (Lots of Mexican genetics) I am going to have to scrap it because of the Sativa thing. Winter time is a bad time to have to much sativa.

Here is where we are sitting now. ( I THINK LMAO )

Orange Hill Special
Peyote Critical
Blue Gelato 41
Twiller
Tangiloe

That leaves me with a lot of unknowns. That is another reason for using the rating's as a gauge. Lots of strains in the 5 to 7 range ratings are mediocre weed. That or they don't have a pronounced enough high for a better rating. That is the key I think. Higher rates come from strains that make themselves know. Lots of times that is because of felt feelings. Or that is my guess anyway. I will know more in a year or so if this rating thing is a good plan LOL.

And the battle in my brain begin's. Liberty Haze is in the line up and Blue Gelato 41 is out. Or maybe. I might grow one to look at. Acapulco Gold is also trying to worm its way into the grow. I will probably drop the Twiller for it.

My grow style is going to change now that I will be running year round. Don't I need as many strains as I have used before, Having to supply myself for a year at a time I wanted lots of different stuff for variety. I may increase my plant counts and decrease the strains. I think I am going to limit each grow to 5 strains. Thing is if I choose right then I am going to have more of what I like. If I choose wrong then I have lots of weed I don't like.

I have a better idea now of what will and won't come out good. Weeding out the riff raff is key. I just don't know how my strains stack up against store bought genetics yet. Maybe they are the riff raff. If I drop my strain count down then I will only be able to look at one of my own strains per grow. not a big deal. In the case of the feminized ones I only have a few anyway.

with this in mind my new grow will be
Orange Hill Special
Liberty Haze
Peyote Critical
Acapulco Gold
Tangiloe

I can't believe I am thinking this but I am. Might drop the Acapulco Gold for Twiller. I said I wanted to weed out the Riff Raff seeds. I also said I wasn't sure about my genetics. So how the hell did I come up with that idea? Here is how.

I know what the parents of Twiller were like. I smoked both and enjoy the high of each. That is a hell of a lot more than I know about Acapulco Gold. Plus I was running a lot more Barnes Farm than I had planned. I like some of their stuff but not all. It is not that I think the Acapulco Gold will be bad. I just don't know if I like it's TYPE of high.

In ways the wrong high is almost as bad as shitty weed. When you grow 7 strains and one is not what you planned you can find ways to use up what there is of it. Thing is you have back up strains lol. With only 5 strains that means you are going to have more of every strain. Good ones and bad ones.

I guess what I am saying is. I don't know that I will like Twiller more. The chances of me hating it are far lower. I don't know what Cinderella 99 x Headband will be but there is a great chance I won't hate it LMAO.

On the down side. If Twiller is incredible I am the only one that will know about it. It is not like I get to brag about my own strains. No one knows. Hell I could say I bred them all and no one would know the difference. I guess it is like the old saying. "If a tree falls in the forest does anyone hear it?" The guy that cut it down did LMAO. That's me. Doing shit no one but me knows about.

Back
Top Bottom