Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

Very true. To both the last comments.

I have to agree. In a couple years I will be into only my genetics. I will be very proud of the fact that they are my own. Even if I don't get to brag much. To do this I will only be mixing the genetics of others. It is not rocket science to breed a Poly Hybrid. Cross 2 great strains and you going to get good seeds.

As much as I want to make Hybrids. Lots of the strains I have left need to be selfed. Along those lines I have decided to add a strain and make it 6. Franco's Lemon Cheese is calling to me bad. I know I am trying to stay away from loosing great seeds if anything goes wrong. Can't be helped. I will only be doing 2 of them and plan to try to clone and self the F.L.C I will have a few left if things go wrong.

The Franco's will also be there when I start my breeding cycle the next grow. This will also give the Twiller a little break. It does not have to be anything but what it is. I know the F.L.C. will take up the slack. Of course I will probably hit it with the Orange Hill Special pollen if a male shows up. Can't pass up a chance to make a Franco's Lemon Cheese x Orange Hill Special. I don't know if it will be good but I am pretty damn sure no one else has thought of it LMAO.

If you really think about it. The whole citrus mix sounds interesting.

At some point I will get to the point of only selfing great plants. With strains I only have a 5 pack or less that gets harder. Better to try and self them just so I don't loose those genetics totally. Weather in a hybrid or by selfing I want to keep a few of the genetics I have. Along the lines that you are talking about. I think I have only found 2 truly great plants. They had tons more trichomes than their sisters did. I mean epic levels that make them look like White strains. I lost both. I never want this to happen again.

Whats funny is all the strains I DON'T plan to self. They have dropped so far down the grow list these days I may never get to grow them. Probably some true winners in those seeds too.

With strains like Franco's Lemon Cheese I will self it breed it and self it again. I want to keep this strain that much. Pretty much each plant will get a chance to produce some kind of seed. The levels in how they work will be huge I am sure. One or 2 will work. Clones of all plants will be taken from this one also. Maybe one will be great.

I have a couple others that are similar. I would rather throw out seeds than risk loosing the genetics altogether. I know this is not a proper breeding program.

With breeding in mind. There are only a couple strains I plan to breed a lot with. They are the strains I have grown before and like the effects of. Or show something so special to begin with I have too.

Cannalope Haze
Purple Betty
Tangie
Cinderella 99
Sandstorm

The seeds from these regular hybrids will be my growing stock for years.

I know Tangie impressed me in every way. EXCEPT flavor. All the plants look real similar. That stability could very well be from the Tangie. I have the Crockett Tangie not sure how much different the DNA one is. As stable as I saw my Tangie it probably won't be a whole lot different.

Tangie was totally covered in trichomes. It is also a pretty early for a sativa dominant strain. This is all sativa too. I had trouble smoking this stuff on my slow days. Not the weed you want to smoke and sit and relax to watch TV.

Still with it was incredible. I plan to breed it both ways. I should have males and females in the seeds that are left. Not sure to what yet. I do know that I will have a Purple Betty clone when I pop the seeds. That is one I know I will make. I am only going to breed it to the strongest stuff so that limits my choices. Thing is I have to take advantage of the fact I have seeds and let the genetics work for me.

I know I want to breed it with Cannalope Haze. I know what male I will be looking for with Cannalope. It will be the perfect sativa to breed to Tangie. Chocolope mellowed the flavor a lot I hope Cannalope will do it too. I want to make at least one more hybrid from a male and a female just to back things up. I know what my strongest strains are I just don't know how they will mix with Tangie. Might as well have back up hybrids. Tangie is just that good.

I read online that DNA bought Crockett family farms. I knew they were partnered, but it looks like DNA owns them now. Will be interesting to see what changes if any come of that

Interesting. Could be a lot of things involved. Crockett was supposed to be a family operation. Can't see them selling the family off LMAO. I wondering if it was just a way to get them out of dept for some reason. Could be because of wild fires or what not. DNA has worked with a lot of different companies so I don't see it as a hostile take over.

Crockett probably only sold their seed company. Probably a pain in the ass to be a seed company and a weed company at the same time.

Along those lines. I see Mz Jill has her own seed company now. TGA is still alive plus now there is Dank Genetics and Mz Jill genetics. I did see that she plans to release feminized strains. Agent Orange being one of them. What used to be 1 company is now 3. Maybe the break up was planned LMAO.

Have not even really started to move and I have already ran into problems. Can't use the room I was planning on. It is just going to be to small. Once the tent is set up I won't have much room to move around. I don't need either room so it is no big deal to switch.

Another problem I have is only in my mind right now. I don't really want to have a line connected from the tent to the outside. High winds and lots of cold in the winter makes that kind of sketchy for me. The new plan is to run right into the room then have a different fan removing hot air from the room. More power than I was planning on using but it can't be helped. On the bright side. The more air I push out that window the more fresh cool air it will draw into the grow room. This will also help to get the cool air where I need it.

At least the strains are pretty well lined out. The only question left is which feminized hybrid of my own I will try. Twiller has been the leading strain up to now. Still in the back of my mind the Chocoloco x Critical hybrid intrigues me. It will be one of the 2 I just can't decide. There is a slight chance the few seeds on the Chocoloco clone came from the JC 2. They were both alive at the same time. They were never in contact with each other but some of the plants that were bred to were. Male pollen could have made it into the tent. IF they are feminized than this should be a killed hybrid. So should the Twiller.

Lets try a vote. Which one of these strains sounds the most interesting. Most all of the strains involved are well know strains. Except for the Chocoloco. You guys are going to have to trust me on it. The combination of THC and CBD are great. Here are the choices.

Chocoloco x Critical
Cinderella 99 x Headband

That will probably be my choice. I am really curious about what the smell and flavor might be from the other hybrid. I am just getting to the Critical from the last grow. The cured smell is something similar to chocolate. I was really surprised to notice it. As much as I thought it wouldn't this might live up to a Chocolate Critical name.

I really don't have a word for the flavor of the Critical. I like it a lot so any flavor brought to the hybrid should be good. The Chocoloco had old school flavor that is kind of mild. They both have a real fruity smell so I am pretty sure fruity will be involved. I don't see it coming out with sweet flavor. Neither strain leans that way.

I will probably have to run it on run 2.

Twiller could bring big surprises also. What I don't know is if it will be a great strain or just good enough. The reason it is in the line up is that it should at least be good enough. Not every strain needs to be perfect. Some just need to do the job well. I can't see any way that this will not be just that. Both parents were great, I just don't know what the hybrid will bring. This is another strain that might be remade if I like it. It won't be the same as I will have to go Headband x Cinderella 99 I really wish I had got the 707 Headband regular seeds when they were around. Only problem with that is the fact I don't want to much Headband or C-99 in my genetics. To much similarity in hybrids. That is the main reason I have found so many different regular strains to work with.

After all the which of my own strains to grow crap. Looks like I won't be running a second strain of my own. I need more indica dominate stuff.

While I was collecting all the info I wanted on the strains to be grown I am see lots of Sativa effects. I can't tell shit about percentages any more. Effects change so much when you are dealing with hybrids in the 60/40, 50/50, 40/60 range. It is the effects that really matter not the genetic makeup. I really want to find something with more in the 70/30 range or more. Only problem all my real interesting indica's are regular seeds.

Choices now drop to Lost Coast Hash Plant or Blue Gelato 41. The Blue Gelato is probably the best option and would be my choice for sure if it wasn't for the fact that I am already running 2 strains by Barnes Farm. I try not to run to much of one breeder in one grow. I don't see it mattering much since I know they have great genetics. Plus they are totally different strains so it shouldn't matter. Still something in my brain says don't LMAO.

I tried the Lost Coast Hash Plant last year. I had problems after the seeds popped. They never came through the soil. The soil was part of the problem at the time which has been solved. It could just be bad seeds. I have seen them pop and never come out of the shell before. I will have to watch them hard this time if I choose it.

I won't be doing the vote thing LMAO. It never matters anyway I am always the one that chooses. I will be checking more into both strains today.

Looks like the winner will be Blueberry Headband. It is a solid strain that is mostly indica dominate. I am going to be trying a new Silver solution for selfing this year. Between the Franco's Lemon Cheese and the Blueberry Headband I will have a better idea of how it will work.

In the end I would be happy only selfing the strains I have. IF i can do it with consistency. My main reason for breeding with regular strains was to not loose genetics. I know most hybrids will be better than a F-2. Seeing how I am not running a major breeding program this grow I might as well try selfing again. Plus if I can solve the selfing thing then I can try feminized hybrids again. Thought I had already did this LMAO.

2 years ago I successfully selfed a Tahoe Og. I then moved on to hybrids and have yet to have a hybrid work out other than the M.O.B. x Purple Betty. These seeds almost made it into the line up. I am guessing the Blueberry Headband are better.

There is a plus in here that was not planned but I am going to run with it. Orange & Blue. I will be looking at any males from the Orange Hill Special. If I get a good one I will use it for a hybrid. Can't pass up a chance to use my football teams colors for a hybrid LMAO.

The new grow space is starting to be perfected in my mind. I have not even moved in and there has been constant changes. All for the good. That is the cool part about putting together so many grows. I can see lots of my problems ahead of time. Even solving some of the little things that were just things I didn't like about it.

I am getting to the point I am real comfortable with everything. The main thing I know. I couldn't do any of it without the air cooled light. These things make running a 1000 watt HPS a dream. It is amazing how little of the heat from the light actually make it into the grow room. Just stopping the heat from building up in the tent does most the work.

I am going to have to watch things a little closer at first. The plan is to run a Y and have the same squirrel cage exhaust fan for the light and the filter. First thoughts are I am going to need to restrict the air flow through the light so I get plenty of air going through the filter. I am sure when I do this I might add a little heat to the tent. Thinking of installing a damper for a wood stove. It would give me the most control. Or I am now. Just had that thought as I was writing this. SEE journals DO work LMAO.

I know that is killing me LOL. Not sure if it is the fact of trying to self already feminized strains or something else. Making 2 major changes this grow. Spraying just the top and letting it pollinate the lower section. I am also going to use a different product to reverse the females.

I am so close is what bothers me. I am sure I will figure it out in time. Till I do I am still going to need to take advantage of the males I get. Some strains like Headband Haze I will make no matter what. Thing is the strains I like the most are grown every other grow or so. All I have left of some of them are regular seeds. So with them I need to go with what I know when I know it LMAO.

Kind of weird not having anything going. Planning has helped me through the last couple weeks LOL. Shouldn't be long now. Couple of weeks tops. The move is actually going pretty well so far.

The worst thing I have figured out is I am going to need a new tent LMAO. I Know I know. I already have 3. They all are too big. or most anyway. Always figured bigger was better tell now. While I have lots of places to put small tents I am real limited on where to put a 48 x 48 x 80. The main tent is a given. I will probably use one for veg. Thing is for breeding I need another tent. This is when one of those 60" tall models would be real handy. On the bright side the people that were ate out by grasshoppers are thinking about trying indoors. I can probably set them up with my unused stuff.

I have a 32"x48"x60" I really like. My basement ceiling is 73" high so I can't use a 80". Which sucks because I have a 4'x8'x80" in storage I'd love to use. I can't find any big tents that are 72". Well not bigger than a 3'x3'. I might have to build a wooden enclosure for flower

Back
Top Bottom