Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

I really wish I had started more. Looks like I am only going to get 3 to look at. The 4th seed doesn't look like it wants to pop. I have 2 full packs of the Original Flo left to look at. When I do I will probably run 1 whole pack to be sure I get plenty of females.

I wonder if male/female ratio has a lot to do with why there are so many Blueberry hybrids with BB as the male. I always though it was because of flavor. Maybe it was because all everyone got were males LMAO.

What I don't know yet is if I look at Temple Flo or Flo next. I feel they are both going to have similar potency but I could be wrong. Pennywise has a point. D.J. Shorts original genetics can stand on their own rather well. I know I am still looking forward to growing BB F-5. From the sounds of it. I better be able to harvest pollen when I do LOL.

What I do know. I hope D.J. Shorts genetics doesn't put me off growing regular strains again. Too many males could do that. Regular strains are becoming kind of the new plan. I have lots of great feminized genetics. I have more regular strains I want to look at though. My most interesting genetics are regular strains. I will probably loose a strain here and there when I do. I didn't want to grow my regular genetics till I could save the genetics. Or at least with the hopes of finding a great pheno of it. Some of these regular genetics will never be made again. If I really like them I could be screwed.

That is when I need to start looking at sending clones. I may want to try it once or twice before I ever try it with a keeper clone. One thing I am kind of hoping for. If all goes well with this test for Grimm. Maybe they have a place for special clones. The plan after I get the Purple Afghani grown is to go down and meet with Mr Soul in person to discuss it. Probably get to burn one with him to try it in person. If all that goes well then I might be in a position to gift them keeper clones or get "One"in return. This could open the door to me getting my hands on some of the clone only strains in Colorado.

Skunk #1 and White Widow would be right behind the Blueberry. They used a few main strains to increase potency and production. That in turn changed genetics forever. D.J. Short pretty much changed terpene profiles to what we see in the modern world. Those early hybrids I think showed people what terpenes can do within the high. We now now that the terpenes and other cannabinoids have a lot to do with the high. When D.J. bred his strains little was know about terpene profiles. His weed was just good.

I know I have a pretty good supply of D.J.'s Flo line. Good thing. Looks like I am down to only 2 starts. 1 never popped and another has yet to come through the soil. That is not a good sign. The other 2 came through the soil day before yesterday. Looks like I may be using pollen. With my luck both these 2 will be males instead of females. If I don't get a female Flo F-5 I am going to be pissed. Pretty sure that will make me mad enough to spread the pollen of the males if that is all I get.

I am thinking now I may want to start a couple more Flo seeds. If I do I may try the original Flo

I went with the Flo F-5 seeds and germinated 3 more. No use confusing anything more than needed. Out of the first 4 seeds I started 2 failed. 1 never popped at all and the other swelled popped out a tail then died before opening the shell. Wondering now what will happen with the next 3 seeds?

I saw Black Congolese being praised in a post, an African sativa crossed with a Red Panama, I think it might have been from the breeder Snow High. Quite expensive but apparently quite special. Ever come across it? I'm interested to look at some strains that are a cut above the average, if they're that good then they are probably worth paying more for the privilege, altho they seem hard to find.

I do believe the Black Congolese was used in the making of Willie Nelson. I could be wrong. I have not heard much about it. Basically it is a South African Sativa x Mexican Sativa don't let anyone convince you it is some kind of supper weed.

While I am the first person to tell you to spend money on genetics. There is a limit to what that covers. It is not like there is another major jump genetics could do. Cheap seeds to quality seeds is a huge difference. Which pretty much doubles the price per seed. I just don't see weed being that much better if you doubled the price again for the real high dollar stuff. Maybe if you could buy a clone. If not you are just buying a bunch of lottery tickets that look like seeds. Maybe one will be a winner. In the end if you don't get a big winner. What do the other tickets give you. Small winners or duds?

I have paid around 200 bucks for a pack of seeds twice. Everything elsehas been lots cheaper. Just so you understand what I see as high dollar seeds. I have heard of people paying 1000's for seeds. To me that is a bit outrageous.

After a slight fuck up with germinating the last 3 Flo F-5 seeds. I germinated a few seeds from the real old pack of Flo I got as a freebie. I have been running real hard the last few days. Took a nap to relax the other day and slept for 8 hours straight. That gave the Flo F-5 seeds a chance to dry out. The paper towel was actually dry. I added water and waited. Before there was 2 seeds that had just popped and only a bit of tail showing. Nothing was showing when I saw them dry. After adding more water. Later that day, the one seed that had not popped before popped and one of the others swelled up and the tail came out more. I hope both these plants make it but I have no real confidence in one of them. Any way if they don't come around I have original Fio as back up. This will give me a look at the difference between F-4 and F-5. I will only be using males from the F-5 version if I like them. I say that now as it is the plan. If I don't like what I see I may choose a different male from the "Og" Flo. I have decided I want to cross C-99 x Flo. I always have since trying Flo the first time. The fact that both these strains are so stable makes it a lot easier. That and the fact that the majority of D.J. Short males are good for breeding. I don't know why no one has crossed 2 of the earliest indoor sativa's before.

Latest update is I am hopefully going to be able to test marijuana flower at the house. I looked at a few of the fancy phone type testers and was not impressed with the reviews. My brother in-law uses Tcheck for his oils but does not check flower with it. I only want to do flower. The other stuff is what it is. I hope the tests from TLC Labs will be different. They look similar to a DNA type test so I hope the results are more accurate. They also show CBD on the same test among other things like terpenes. Not what terpenes are there. Just the percentage of terpenes which might help over time. They also mention taking photos of the test as results don't last very long. I will be able to start posting test results with my other strain info I hope to start tracking. I have my brother in-law working on a excel program that I can track strain info on. I really want to start a basic strain library with growing notes and other things I may need if I grow the strain or its hybrids again in the future.

I don't know what to think of the Purple Afghani yet. Well I know what to think, I just don't understand why I am thinking it. I have yet to see this many seeds come out looking just alike. Only one plant has different growth at this time. Afghani is basically stable but not to this extent. The Lemon Cheisel on the other hand has 6 different looking plants. Here is a picture of the Purple Afghani as reference.

You can easily see the one different plant.

I am beginning to think Grimm may have used Cinderella in this hybrid. Most likely not but it might explain having so few phenotype. I sure hope not. I really want them to do more genetics with out C-99. Cinderella is pretty powerful genetically wise. She puts her take on about everything she touches. I don't know what for sure is in the Purple Kush but it is not one of those multiple strain hybrids that might have tons of phenotype. Afghani #1 is a mix of Afghani genetics I do believe. I still wouldn't expect too many phenotype from it. Maybe the Purple Afghani is just this stable. Pretty sure this is something Grimm wants to know. Stability is important with seed. What is stable still needs to be considered. 9 plants just alike that suck would not be good LMAO.

Only problem I see as of now is that the best plant is going to be the one single phenotype LOL. That's the way things normally work out. I saw some color on one set of leaves already on the largest plant. Just a hint of purple/blue on a couple of leaves. No cold temps so it must be natural. It is mostly gone now so I can't get pictures. I hope this one is a female just to find out if it colors up in flower with warm temps.

Male's usually look like the best one's out of the litters. It's kinda heartbreaking sometimes when I really like the structure of one, then it turns out to be a dude

That could be the case here too. I have seen the same thing plenty of times. I do find it weird that it is only one plant. There will be other males I am sure. I have to admit. The one plant looks like there is more to it then that. I would say it looks like a different strain but I have never had a strain have this many plants look just alike before. It is basically a single pheno I think. Not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing yet.

I do know I would have noticed that they all look alike before. I don't know I would have paid that much attention to it if I wasn't testing a strain. As a new strain. I can't see this stability being a bad thing. Unless the one single plant is the one that the strain was bred for.

Which brings me to my new Moto. No preconceived ideas!

My job is only to watch and see what happens. It does me no good to try and figure stuff out that doesn't matter. Doing that I might miss something that does matter.

One thought. What if it sucks LOL. I never have a problem speaking my mind. At times, I try to put things as nicely as I can when speaking my mind. I told Mr Soul that I would be brutally honest. Not sure if I can be both brutally honest and put it nicely both at the same time LOL.

Which brings me to my new Moto. No preconceived ideas!

My job is only to watch and see what happens. It does me no good to try and figure stuff out that doesn't matter. Doing that I might miss something that does matter.

One thought. What if it sucks LOL. I never have a problem speaking my mind. At times, I try to put things as nicely as I can when speaking my mind. I told Mr Soul that I would be brutally honest. Not sure if I can be both brutally honest and put it nicely both at the same time LOL.
That's a good moto. Preconceived ideas can bugger up our ability to see what's in front of us sometimes! :hookah:

Smoking weed can do it too LMAO. To much weed and I find myself looking at one thing and thinking about something totally different LOL.

I am hoping the last of main projects will be started today and finished this week. Then it is time to rebuild. Going to be lots of changes on how things will be set up. Now that I have ran everything in this house. I am going to find better ways to do the same stuff in the same space.

One major change. I will be setting up the drying tent in one of the smaller rooms with the smaller tents. I want to be able to use the extra humidity to help with regeneration if I decide to do it. I don't think I would have lost the 2 plants I did if I had had more humidity in the room the tent was in. The whole time I was drying in another room with a humidifier in it. If I do need to set up a back up tent. I can put it where I had the drying tent. Plants and starts do fine with the environmental's I have. The only thing I have had trouble with is regeneration. Clones will do better in this new room too.

Timing doesn't seem to far off. I am just about ready to up-pot the plants and start using the 600 watt MH light. I want to have the large tent set up to move them to when I do. Going with a 8" fan this year. For no other reason then there were no 6" Infinity fans available. Should work better in the fact that I should never need to run it on full power much if any. The 6" was fairly quiet to run on full power. I think the 8" at 3/4 power shouldn't be any louder.

Most of the new grow room has been set up. I am really going to like this new set up. One thing I was missing was a place to set and look at the plants while others were being watered. I got that back now. That was the good thing about setting up and running then taking things down. Last year I found the things I didn't like and can now solve them. The main room is the biggest piece of that puzzle.

Last year my white and silver 6" hose's glowed at the end of the dark hall. I have to leave the door open for obvious reasons. I went a head and got a section of black covered hoses. Whether it works like I planned won't matter. It will be lots better then what I had. I can use all the white hose on other tents.

Which brings me to my other purchase. A new tent LOL. Yeah I know I have lots of tents already. They come in handy! The main reason for the new tent is to full appreciate one of the Timber grow lights. I have a 4 light set up that didn't fit right in a 48" x 48" tent. I think it would have worked fine but was worried about coverage. With the light in the middle it would have to reach out 2' to either side while the middle would get great coverage all the way across. Plus because of the distance between the light and the plants needed with COB led's. I wanted a taller ceiling. They don't make or I couldn't find a 24 x 48 x 80 tent. What I got should be the perfect tent for that light. It should give great coverage and I will have a 80" ceiling. The new tent is 36" x 60" x 80". The light will cover more space then the 4' length it has. This new tent will give the light room to spread without them having to cover to much space. I can run around 1300 watts of light and still have power to run the fans and not trip breakers on that end of the house. I can now run 2 tents with the same 1000 watts I was running last year. 600 watt lights won't do what a 1000 watt light can do. They are still lots more efficient. I am sure I will loose a few grams per plant but should make up for the loss with a second and the extra 400 watts of power. Between the 2 I will do better per watt.

It is always great to see genetics travel. Here are a few of my seeds grown in the Tennessee mountains. The photo was ent to check on one of the Blue Dream plants. It is the one circled. For some reason this pheno is really short compared to its sister and the other BD the guy has grown. Plants all look healthy so it has to be a pheno thing.

There are 6 plants total. The first 2 are Blue Dream. Then the 2 Critical followed by the Green Crack.

Back
Top Bottom