Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

I will be doing a bunch of re-potting today. I jumped ahead of schedule and put all the starts under the 600 watt MH. Temps looked good all day so I went ahead and put them in the big tent when the lights came on for the night.

3 of the Flo starts will have to wait a couple more weeks but that can't be helped. I want to keep the Purple Afghani on schedule. What I don't know yet is if I will do 1 or 2 re-pots yet. I am leaning on the side of just doing one. The only problem with that is the price of soil. It is hard to through out half used soil from male plants.

Which brings me to another point. The lawn. All my used soil is going to be saved crushed up and spread on my lawn. Lots of real sandy soil around here. The best lawn I have seen in this town was grown the same way. My mentor has used his old soil this way for years. He just rakes it in, giving the soil in the yard much better moister holding abilities. I don't have near the amount of soil he had but I will over time. I hope to have my lawn lush and green in a few years. With this in mind it makes it easier to not worry about all the unused nuits in some of the pots.

My yard is mostly sand too. I'm constantly trying to get rid of yard moles. Seems like as fast as I get rid of one, another one shows up. Good idea mixing it up on the lawn. It surely should help you get better grass

Starts are re-potted and in their new home. Here is the look from the chair I mentioned. This is the spot!

Everything has been put in 2 gallon pots except for a couple. The 2 feminized C-99 are in 3 gallon pots for better production. I really want to see what I can get out of one plant production wise. Smoke will be better this year. I found I didn't like Cinderella brought to the outer limits of its flower time. I liked Cinderella harvested in the 50 day range a lot more. Who needs amber trichomes LOL.

Flo got all different pots. The 2 Flo F-5 got 3 gallon pots. I might as well see how Flo compares to C-99 in the same sized pot. Plus if I get a male it will have plenty of room to thrive till it is used. The 3 late starts were a bit young to be transplanted. I have a lot of confidence in my re-potting so I went ahead and up-potted them too. It might take the a bit to catch up but will do better in the long run then waiting. I would have had to do a re-pot closer to flower time if I didn't do it now. This way they will be well established.

Here is everything in their new home.

Time to update everyone on the Purple Afghani. Yep they are still alive. Doing rather well actually. Everything is looking good after the re-pot and is growing. Not sure I even know what transplant shock is. Even the Flo plants that were transplanted really young are already growing.

Here are the Purple Afghani all together.

I am starting to see a few more slight differences in between the plants. All based off the one plant that started off different. I labeled it just so I will know which one it was when it gets older. It is still different but it is starting to blend in with the others. I see some of it in a couple of the other plants. Mostly in the width of the fingers. Here is a close up picture of the single pheno as it is now.

I only took one picture of one of the others. They all still look pretty much the same.

Not a whole lot can be said about them right now. Other then that they started out looking so much alike. I still think the final outcome will have a lot to do with that fact. As many differences there could be, there isn't. That is going to go along way in how the whole crop ends up. I am thinking they will all be good or all be just OK. My hopes the one different plant is going to be the Purple Kush leaning pheno and is female. Mostly just to see the difference. As I mentioned I have no plans for any males from that strain.

Yes they do lol. It is nice to be this far in and have no plant acting up. I will have to post a picture of both the Purple Afghani and the Lemon Cheisel so everyone can see the difference between the phenptype's of each strain. That would help show just how much the PA look alike.

On my other fronts. Now that the roof is done. I can now start setting backup. Just like the big tent. I have found what I like and dislike about this place. I used to have all kinds of different rooms in my house. Just as soon as you put a tent in a room. No matter what the size, that room becomes a grow room. Might as well run with that LMAO. I am making things a lot easier to work with. Every room with a tent will revolve around that tent.

This new roof is totally amazing. Even on low the swamp cooler can now keep the house plenty cool for anything I would need to do. Last year without the foam insulation and new roof. I could keep the house comfortable. That is it. Now I have to turn it off by early evening as it is to cold in the house. As of yet I have not had to run it all night to keep temps down in my tents. Last year I had to run them all night to keep the heat down.

The one weird part for me is to dedicate a large tent for a COB led light. As of yet I have only grown 2 plants per grow. I need to see how it works on a large scale now. That is going to take a little thinking about what strains to try first under it. I know they work but I still trust my HPS lights more. I need to learn to grow with the new light as I go along. What is weird is that there is going to be a learning curve at all. A light should be a light right?

Looks like I will be bend shit over soon. This time I am going to just bend and not super crop unless they need it. I think most of these will do fine just bent.

Starting to think about what is next. Not only what strains? What tents? I am still a couple of weeks away from starting but I do need to figure out what I plan to use. Which will change what I grow. Pretty sure the LED tent will produce more per plant on average. Probably going to save that tent for only feminized strains. I may do it with the other tent also. That would leave me my big tent for regular strains when I won't know as much about my plant counts. Thinking about putting these strains under my timber light.

Monty Python, Crockett
The New, Humboldt
Grimm Glue, Grimm Brothers
California Diesel, Humboldt

Cinderella 99 has now been bent. I don't think I have tried it with C-99 before. They are short plants anyway. I am pretty sure I just super cropped them. which worked fine. I am pretty sure Cindy will respond well to the bend. It basically does the same thing. They both promote bushing. Maybe by bending I will get bigger colas. I know super cropping restricts the flow of nuits to the top of the plant for a while. Why SC if bending works.

Everything else will be bent in the next few days. I will get before and after pictures when I do.

I have had some strains do very little to nothing when super cropped. Gorilla Glue hybrids are one of them. That is why I am going to try and just bend first. I can always supper crop them after the bend if needed. I am sure there are going to be some plants that get both. Which brings me to the before and after pictures from the bending. Growth rates are better then I thought. Plants are ready or close to big enough to train. Like dogs, I feel starting training early is best.

This is what greeted me when I opened the tent. Everything look so good I decided to change it lol. Here is what they looked like when I was done.
This one of my favorite times in a grow. I love to see how they look all bushed out. What is amazing is it will only take a couple of days. Purple Afghani and the Lemon Cheisel look like they will both react well to it. There is already plenty of side branches. Flo I am not so sure of. It has the same basic look as the GG hybrids so it may not bush out as well.

I went ahead a got a few seeds germinating for a LED grow. Well I a pretty sure that is where they are going to go. Either way they are started. I have been wanting to try more new breeders as I move through strains. Relic was the newbie last time. Katsu is the winner this time. Mostly because it is the closest I have to a hybrid. I also dropped The New as I already had a powerful indica and a Humboldt strain in the California Sour Diesel. Monty Python took The New spot this grow. I am going with upgraded genetics of strains I already like. Both the Grimm Glue and the California Sour D are based off of my favorite strains. C-99 and Headband. Plenty of good genetics to look at a new one. Here is what got started.

Grimm Glue, C-99 x Baby Gluey
Monty Python, Holy Grail Kush x Strawberry Banana
California Sour D, Headband x NYSD
Xanadu, Band-aid Haze x Bubba Kush

My only problem with these is that there is no Cookies genetics yet. I almost did the Ocean Grown Cookies from Dinafem. As good as that one might be I needed to try someone new. Katsu is doing some interesting work these days. I need to look at his older stuff to see if I want to try any of the new stuff he will be having soon.

What I liked about Katsu from the start is he didn't try and make a 100 hybrids. The fact that he worked mostly with a known strain. Says he knows it well and what it does. From what I hear he has got a lot of new clones and will be coming out with some newer stuff.

Purple Afghani's are all doing well. I got a couple pictures before I bent them.
Most at first glance look real similar. It was only after bending that the differences showed up. A couple days back I started seeing slight differences. Mostly I started to see a couple of the traits from the one different plant in a few of the other plants.

The one plant that I have been following is still doing really good. Here are a couple pictures of it.

In some of the other plants I can some of its traits. Some have a bit different leaf shape the others are bushing out differently. What I have not figured out is which plant is the base for the other phenotypes. My guess is the big plant that is different is the Purple Kush leaning plant. I need to figure out what the Afghani #1 leaning pheno is. Not that is matters. The only one that would be special for me would be a Purple Kush leaning pheno. I will be watching these plants for one to regenerate if I see what I hope to see.

After 4 days of waiting I see one of the Xanadu has popped. I was beginning to wonder about them. Everything else has been in soil for a couple of days. I still don't know if I will be starting anything else to go along with it. I am probably going to need one more plant.

I did some checking yesterday on what I might want to add if the Xanadu didn't pop. The 2 finalist are Blue Fire from Humboldt and Ocean Grown Cookies by Dinafem. I only need one but will germinate 2 just in case. That means I may be one plant over what I want. I can make things fit if need be. I still don't know for sure which tent they will go in. Plant count might change things.

Everything is doing fine after the bend. I tightened the tie downs some to level out the plants more. I will know in a day or 2 which ones will get super cropped also. I see at least a couple that might benefit from it.

The Flo F-5 both got super cropped already. There was no lower branching going on at all. The original Flo look a lot different then the Flo F-5 I am not sure about them yet. They are still small so I have time to decide what to do with them.

2 days and a little bondage and I have a bunch of bushes.
As you can tell some are bushing more then others. Most are doing fine without super cropping. I pinched one last night and will continue to monitor how well the bushing is going. More will need to be super cropped too I am sure.

Branching is starting with the Flo F-5 now since they were super cropped. I still don't know if I am going to top or super crop the regular Flo. I am thinking of only going with a super crop. That will keep everything at similar heights.

No go on the final Xanadu seed. I will be germinating 2 Ocean Grow Cookies today. As weird as it sounds I have yet to grow a Cookies hybrid. Chocolate Mint Og I had hermied so I have never got to try one I have grown. This is as good a time as any to see what cookies have to offer. G.G. hybrids have been doing good and I am continuing to grow them. I just don't have as many Cookie hybrids.

The Ocean Grown Cookies have popped and are planted. Everything else is try to get established in the 1 gallon pots. With the bigger pots it is going to take a bit longer for them to get going. Everything still looks fine. Plant counts has me changing back to a 4 x 4 tent. It has the same square footage as the other tent but the plants will fit better in it.

Over the next few grows I am going to be looking for a mother or 2. I plan to grow more of a few certain strains. I will still be try new strains regularly just not as many plants when I do. Having a strain for every time of the day works great for me. Most people only have one strain at a time and just smoke as much as they need at the time. These people always seem to want the strongest weed they can find. I am going to need a plant to supplement my income. Strongest seems to be more popular then the best high.

So mother up I will. I will be taking clones from the 2 Monty Python and a couple others. Not sure which ones yet. The California Diesel and the Cookies hybrid are the main candidates as of now. The mother I save will stay till it is replaced with a better one. Which I will find as I go along. I really want something like the Banana Sorbet. Big and powerful. While I like it at night. Others seem to really like it. Weird having to consider others! In the end I think a Banana Sorbet X Tangie hybrid may be in order.

Everything is looking better and better every day. Most plants have now been super cropped along with the bend. I found it is the combination of both more then either one on its own. Either way I have a bunch of little bushes.

I had hoped to find that just bending worked. Not that it mattered. I have never hurt a plant by super cropping it. They all react so much different. I have had plants with taller side branching then the main cola. In some instances I feel I redirected to many nutrients to the lower parts of the plant. I was trying to find a way that never happens. Oh well. No big deal. I will probably just run with this method from here on out in most cases.

Purple Afghani is growing up. At least 3 have shown sex so far. 3 females I know of. The plant that showed the most differences from the start is a maybe. The 2 plants I know for sure are female are real short pheno's. Now that things are growing up I am seeing the 2 main pheno's. I need to do some checking to see which is which. I thought the ones with the wider leaves were the Purple Kush. They are bigger plants so that may not be true. I know the PK was not a large producer. So maybe they are smaller. Both are indica and could carry fat leaves. I really like strains that show sex in veg.

The other regular strain are not showing sex yet. There are a couple I think are male but are not sure yet. The plan is still to find a Flo f-5 male.

Funny shit. While looking for info on Purple Kush I found out lots of useless info. Some of it was helpful. I found out my thinking was correct about the bigger plants being the Purple Kush side.

What gets funny is when you try and see what was in Purple Kush. First, there are lots of different recipes to come up with Purple Kush. The main reason I am looking is to find out more about the Purple Afghani I am growing. I know Purple Kush is a clone only strain with little info. I still hoped they would have a idea of what was in it. Obviously not. Since most the people selling Purple Kush seeds say that Purple Afghani was used in the making of it. Then you look up Purple Afghani and it is a cross of Purple Kush x Afghani #1.

I would say I am so confused. You all have been following long enough to already know that LMAO.

Back
Top Bottom