Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

The purple name is a weird one for sure. Most like you say have a Purps like flavor profile. Then there are the ones with just purple color. I get lots of purplish colors without that Purps flavor. Hell lots of stuff have purple coloring these days.

Old school purples were not very strong so I am hoping the purple part came later LOL. What I don't know is if they are true purple that will color up on there own. Or the ones that will show purple only if the conditions are right. Either way I will see before long.

I found out some good info while looking at the make up of what I think is in Purple Afghani. I have not grown Afghani#1 or Purple Kush indoors. Looking at their backgrounds help me to understand the Afghani a little more.

Now mostly I wait. I did a little checking. The plants that showed sex early. Did it around 6 weeks after germination with 16 hours of light. I would like to say that is going to make things easier. It is probably only going to make things frustrating. While some plants are showing female. The males are not showing much. I don't know if I will be able to pull many males out till I drop the lights back. These plants are going to fill this space in a couple more days. It would be nice to weed out a few males to make room.

I want the Flo F-5 to grow some more before I sex them. They are starting to bush out a little now. Once I pull them out to put in a separate tent it will free up a little room. I may even move all the Flo at the same time. Mostly I am just looking at Flo this run. I know I like the Flo I bought at a dispensary I don't know how mine will be. I don't need huge plants out of Flo to know how I like the high. Moving all the Flo should free up the space I need.

The Lemon Chiesel are great looking plants. Pretty sure I notice the Exodus Cheese leaning pheno's. That gives me hope that the cheese side came through well. The main thing about Exodus Cheese I liked was the happy high. It wasn't the strongest weed but it didn't matter. That is the one thing I hope to find in this hybrid. I don't know what the Lemon Diesel is like at all. My guess is it is Lemon Skunk X NYCD. I will be looking at the back story on the Lemon Diesel today.

I am posting another pic of the tent. Things will start looking different after tonight.
I will be doing a second round of bending on a few of them today. Not all the plants are reacting the way I want. In most cases the main stalk is growing to much. I am going to add a stake to bend the stalk around or tied to the stake. I will be working my way around the outside of the pot with tie downs. Last grow I had to do this with a couple plants and it seemed to work pretty good.

Looks like there are going to be lots of females in the Purple Afghani. Out of the 10 starts at least 6 are female. One more looks like it is a maybe. This is actually going to help me out a lot. The tent I plan to sex the Flo F-5 in is going to have LED light. I had wanted to grow some of the PA under both HPS and LED. Mostly just for the hell of it. Partially because of plant counts. All the plants may fit in the 5 x 5 tent. It is going to be close. So it seems better to run 2 tents. If I am going to run 2 tents I might as well make it another comparison. By moving a couple of known females with the F-5 plants. That will give me plenty of room for the plants to stretch out.

Lemon Chiesel is growing great but I don't think I will be getting near the M/F ratio I did with the PA. I know for sure that one is female. A couple of the others are looking male. I hope this changes.

I forgot to add. In my research of Lemon Diesel I found a lot of long flowering examples. None with a early flower time that Relic suggests it has. He states that it is Oregon Lemon Diesel that may be the difference.

Now I know why I got away from Regular genetics. You just can't plan anything. From the looks of it I have 7 female Purple Afgahani out of 10 seeds. The Lemon Chiesel it looks like I am going to get 1 female of of 6 seeds. Looks to be 50/50 on the Flo F-5 so I should get a male from it.

It is so hard to get the right amount of each strain when I use regular strains. This run I am going to have lots of indica from the PA. Looks like I will only have 2 female hybrids. Plenty sativa on the back side thanks to the feminized C-99. Thing is, the hybrids are what I use the most of.

What makes it worse is I have no need for 5 male Lemon Chiesel. I am not even going to use the pollen from one let alone need to pick the best male. I have hopes of one or 2 plants fooling me. Females are easy. No matter how small you can always get the right angle to notice the hairs showing. If there is something there and you don't see any hairs coming from it they tend to be male. I could be wrong but that is what I see on the Lemon Chiesel. Something is there but no hairs. On the bright side. They are not for sure males yet either. No pods are showing. This is when I hope that I am wrong till I am proved to be right LOL.

From my calculations. The big tent should be able to handle all the females. I really don't need to move plants to flower them all. I will be moving what I think is the male Flo F-5 in a couple of days. Not sure what I will move with it yet. I want to start making room in the tent for things to expand into. I want the Flo F-5 pollen done really early. C-99 does not flower for very long. I want the seeds finished without having to take the plant late into flower. I like early C-99 much more. I need 2 weeks to flower the male before I put the females into flower. 2 weeks from now all the plants are going to be ready to flower.

Just like that, I now have room. All but one of the plants I think are male have now been sequestered to a small tent. The plan to flower some females under led lights is probably out. At least for now.

By moving and sexing the males. I have freed up plenty of room for the females to get bigger while that Flo F-5 male matures. If it is actually a male. If not I may be screwed for pollen. The last 3 Flo plants are still in veg and will need to stay there for a while. I am getting the Flo plants to do what I want. I am finally getting them to bush out some. They just wanted it a bit rougher. I have had to bend them twice and have supper cropped them all at least twice. I want them to be as bushy as possible by the time I put them in flower. If I can get them to that stage and I find one that looks male I may move it in the chance of getting pollen. The pure Flo is probably the better strain for the hybrid as it is a bit earlier. The Flo F-5 is going to have better flavor is my guess. Plus I like a bit of indica in my sativa's. I am just guessing. I think the hybrid will come out around 60 percent sativa which is perfect for me.

The smoke grow is coming along pretty good. In it I have the California Diesel, Grimm Glue, Og Cookies, and the Monty Python. I have already planned to take some clones of some of these. I need a couple good mothers to last till I find better ones. Everyone of these is basically a strain I love in hybrid form. C-99, 707 Headband and G.G. are all strains I like the most right now. I am sure I can find 1 or 2 mothers out of these hybrids.

Good morning Jack. I have a question about the clown Royal you grew. What was the flavor like and potency. Was it stable genetics? I'm thinking about getting them into a winter run this year

BTW I'm sure you will find some gem's in the lineup you have going atm. Hopefully more than one. It's nice to have mother's to depend on

Yes it is. Or that is what I hear anyway LOL. I may be looking for helpful hints on how to keep a mother happy if I do. I have never kept a mother plant.

Clown Royal did really well for me. It did have a Cal/mag problem mid flower but that was easily solved. I only got the one female. Potency was good. I don't know the percent but the high was very noticeable with a quick onset. I rate it in the top 3 best plants I got last grow. Right up there with Ghost Train Haze. Flavor leaned towards G.G. #4 but you can tell there is Blueberry in it. It was real similar to Gorilla Zkittelz but had a better high. Other then the male/female ratio I got no complaints about it. I don't know about stability but would say that the Blueberry in it would help with stability. Unless my one female was the great plant of the pack. Then the strain could suck LMAO.

Thanks for the info Jack. I usually don't keep mother's either. I just keep cloning the cut over and over. I take cuts and veg them till the first one is finished flowering. Then take another clone and toss the big veg plant in bloom. Just clones from clones over and over. It's easier for me with my small veg tent. Plus I have bad luck with keeping old plants healthy without getting root bound. Some people score the roots to keep them happy in little pots. Mr Krip posted a bonsi style 11 month old veg plant in a 1 pint 4" pot.

For me I have no issues keeping clones from clones. My 24k from DNA genetics I had for 1 1/2 years. I'm currently shut down due to a hemp/russet mite problem. I culled out everything and cleaned up my area. Been couple weeks ago. I'll start seeds soon

I have thought of cloning clones. I might do it some. Even if I find a plant to mother. I wouldn't be keeping it long enough for cloning clones to be a problem.

I now have room for a dedicated veg tent. I don't know that I will do it though. The main plan now is to find out just how I want to do things going forward. Keeping a mother plant happy for longer than a year would be pushing it for me I think. I am sure I could learn it if I wanted to. Female seeds are the best way around it. I know I want to make a feminized hybrids. It all depends on if I decide to have good weed or great weed.

I do know that another strain like the Lemon Chiesel might screw all that up. I can handle 50/50 or less for males. Strains that are showing up mostly male will piss me off before too long. If this was a regular grow instead of a test I wouldn't have what I needed in the end. Hybrid highs take up most of my day. Having just 2 plants with that high is going to cut me short in that area. Yes I can mix a sativa and a indica I just don't want to. That is why I grow hybrids lol. Looks like I am going to need a tent just for sexing regular strains. That is going to affect my decision on keeping mothers.

Regeneration is still going to be my main way to save plants. I don't think I have the room to clone everything and keep the clones long enough till I decide which ones are keepers and which ones are not. There may be some cases that I choose to do that. The New is one of them. I have hopes of find one or 2 great plants in that strain. It would be better to have a clone alive before I try to regenerate. It doesn't always work.

I was so comfortable with the clone system that when I was ready to flip a plant, I'd first take usually 2 cuts ( usually both would root without any concerns ) then flip the plant. While it was starting to bloom my cuts would be rooting. By the time the donor plant was finished blooming the clones were ready for flower tent. Constant cycle. For over a year I ran same 5 different strains with that system in a 32" x 48" x 60" veg tent. It's nice to find keeper pheno's. Heartbreaking to lose them. I took a clone from a friend, like a dumbass, I knew better. Hemp / russet mites are so hard to see I missed them in quarantine. I took couple cuts from her that were not rooted. Just clippings I took home in a sandwich baggie with wet paper towels around the cut ends. No soil was brought in. Month or two later I'm dealing with a infestation.

The learning experience from this was interesting. I'm sure they were going to be on everything in both tents. But couple of strains didn't show any. As if they were more pest resistant. One was the 24k that I had cloned from the previous clone every 8 weeks for a span of 18 months. Was a solid cultivar.

Ok I'm babbling. Have a great weekend Jack

It is interesting that you are favoring the practicality of female seeds. I have a limited grow space (a balcony) and being outdoors I can only grow once a year. So in spite of preferring regular seeds for some imagined tougher/stronger more stable qualities I just don't have the ideal space to deal with them.

There may be some cases that I choose to do that. The New is one of them.
The New has a pretty high claimed potency, did you feel it ranked right up there with the claims?

I was so comfortable with the clone system that when I was ready to flip a plant, I'd first take usually 2 cuts ( usually both would root without any concerns ) then flip the plant. While it was starting to bloom my cuts would be rooting. By the time the donor plant was finished blooming the clones were ready for flower tent. Constant cycle. For over a year I ran same 5 different strains with that system in a 32" x 48" x 60" veg tent. It's nice to find keeper pheno's. Heartbreaking to lose them. I took a clone from a friend, like a dumbass, I knew better. Hemp / russet mites are so hard to see I missed them in quarantine. I took couple cuts from her that were not rooted. Just clippings I took home in a sandwich baggie with wet paper towels around the cut ends. No soil was brought in. Month or two later I'm dealing with a infestation.

The learning experience from this was interesting. I'm sure they were going to be on everything in both tents. But couple of strains didn't show any. As if they were more pest resistant. One was the 24k that I had cloned from the previous clone every 8 weeks for a span of 18 months. Was a solid cultivar.
Getting an unwanted infestation like that is annoying. However the efficiency of the cloning routine you carried out sounds excellent. I am envious of such advantages from indoor tent growing, for cloning, supporting mothers etc and all year round growing.
How do you rate the 24K? It is another strain I've seen that seems to be popular.
Cheers.

It is interesting that you are favoring the practicality of female seeds. I have a limited grow space (a balcony) and being outdoors I can only grow once a year. So in spite of preferring regular seeds for some imagined tougher/stronger more stable qualities I just don't have the ideal space to deal with them.

The New has a pretty high claimed potency, did you feel it ranked right up there with the claims?

Getting an unwanted infestation like that is annoying. However the efficiency of the cloning routine you carried out sounds excellent. I am envious of such advantages from indoor tent growing, for cloning, supporting mothers etc and all year round growing.
How do you rate the 24K? It is another strain I've seen that seems to be popular.
Cheers.
I've grown a few dozen different strains, maybe more. I'd rate 24k towards the top of the list. Good leaf to calax ratio. My pheno finished by day 56 typically. Nice potency balanced high that was long lasting. Great evening meds. Everyone who sampled it loved it. With one exception of a lady that said it too strong. Lol. BTW it was a fem from DNA genetics

Stunger. Female seeds have their advantages. With that being said I don't think they are better genetics. Just easier. I have found that the higher priced feminized strains still have plenty good plants. If I want a certain amount of plants in a certain space the female seeds simplify that.

F-1 hybrids seem to grow the best. Mostly you find that in regular hybrids. With the feminized hybrids you still get hybrid vigor. From what I have found you can find keeper pheno's in both types of seeds.

Most my genetics are regular strains. I plan to grow most of them. Just in different ways. I am going to try and grow one regular strain each time. This last grow I did 3 different regular strains and my plant counts got all screwed up. That is the only reason I was bitching lol.

As I go along I plan to make as many female seeds as I can. Anytime I find a keeper pheno the plan will be to try and self it. I have no problem going with clones for a little while. Pretty soon I am going to want a different strain. The female seeds will be my way back to that plant when I want to grow it again. Why mess with males the second time around. There are a small percentage of my regular strains that will be used for making regular strains. Where I will use one of the males for pollen. Plus when pollen is used it will most likely be used on more then one plant.

No idea on The New yet. Other then the fact I am pretty sure there is going to be some really strong weed in there. Whether I like them or not is still to be seen. I will be running it this winter.

"As the world turns" Thought that shit was just a soap opera. I guess not lol. All my plans have now changed. Mostly because the great Flo F-5 I thought was going to be a male is a female. Weird how when I first saw this I was disappointed. So no Cinderella x Flo F-5 in my future. At least for now.

I was going to move the plant back into the veg tent with the other females. Then I decided against it. No use causing undo stress to the plant if I don't have too. I am just going to give it a head start on flowering for another few days till everything has show sex. A couple of the males have showed their true colors already. I went ahead and chopped them to make room for the last of the Flo starts that have not shown sex yet. Once everything is sexed I can move everything back to the big tent. I may still get a regular Flo male to cross with the C-99 if I so choose. It would give me my mostly sativa hybrid I was looking for.

Which brings me back to my hybrid conversation. With only 1 of the Lemon Chiesel being female I don't have much in the lines of hybrids. Flo F-5 should be a hybrid. It was made with a Flo F-4 female and a Blueberry F-5 male. The write up reads almost exactly how the Flo regular does. They make it sound more like just a sativa then a hybrid. My hopes are they are wrong LOL. With the Flo F-5 that would make 3 hybrids. That would work. With the Flo and C-99 for day time and the Purple Afghani for night time I will be set. The PA is going to have phenotypes that could very well make it seem like 2 different strains. At least that is my hope. From the looks I am going to get some Purple Kush pheno's. The highs from it should to be vastly different then a Afghani. Even with them both being indica.

Not much to say today so lets do a "Comment section" on Flo F-5. When I bought it I thought it was Flo grown out to F-5 an those are the seeds. When I received them I found out about the Blueberry is in it.

If you bought a strain that was Flo F-4 x Blueberry F-5 What would you expect the outcome to be like?

I’ve tried to follow dj shorts lineages with Flo and Blueberry but I’m not totally sure. After listening to a potcast from DJ it sounds like his FLO keeper had the high he wanted but in a short flowering pheno. I’ve always wanted to grow FLo. If it’s such a nice high and short flowering it sounds like a great parent stock to breed to the long flowering pure sativas.

Back
Top Bottom