Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

5C91E847-8D2A-42FB-8116-E6D21314570A.jpeg

I am real interested in seeing what Flo looks like in person. I really liked the Flo I got in Colorado last year. There is a Colorado cut of Flo that is supposed to be really good. It may have been some of it I got. How long did it take to find that pheno is the question.

They have crossed C-99 with lots of the longer flowering sativa's. I don't know of anyone doing it with Flo though. I still hope to cross Flo and Cinderella if I like what I find in Flo.

Pretty sure I will dropping the lights back next week. I don't see a Flo male being done in time to use pollen. No big deal I wanted to use the Flo F-5 for it anyway. The Lemon Cheisel males would be done in plenty of time but I have no idea what it is even going to be like. I want something with a lot of Cheese characteristics. The chances of that improved yesterday. One of the supposed males is female. I am back to 2 female Lemon Cheisel again.

F**KING mites! pretty sure I have a mite problem. Nothing bad yet and I hope I can get a handle on it quick. Well quick I can't do but I have the solution on the way. I have not seen a mite yet but I do have a couple small holes in some leaves. Of course it is the Flo F-5 that is hit the hardest LOL. I guess I shouldn't have run my mouth about Second gen and D.J. LMAO.

The one thing I think I am finding is bug shit! I have a few black spots on the back side of the leaves. Flowering will be put off till I can get the bugs under control. Which I hope I can.

Now for the Cure. Some people may not like my choice of ways to kill them. I am going with a product called "Forbid". I have no idea of what is actually in it. I know it works and works well. It should at the purchase price, A whopping $278.00 for 8 oz bottle. On the bright side. I will now have enough to kill bugs the rest of my life. The place I get all my important grow help is my mentor. No use going to anyone else as he has had to solve tons of shit before. He has used Forbid with great success.

What makes it work is it kills the babies and the eggs, then sterilizes the adults. Sounds like a cruel way to rid yourself of a unwanted population LOL.

I forgot to mention. Things like this is why I built things the way I did. Tarps cover all carpet and rubber mats cover the rest. Clean up and treatments will be a lot easier this way. Once I treat all the plants I will clean everything with bleach before i put anything back in.

I just got done checking the plants more. Still no positive identification. I have also been looking at photos of mite problems. If I have them it is way earlier. I don't see any eggs at all and there is only a few spots on the leaves in all the plants in the tent. A lot can change in the week it is going to take for the Forbid to get here. I will be looking at local options just in case. As long as I don't have a major outbreak I hope to get this under control fast.

Here are a couple of pictures of what I am seeing. First is the whole Flo F-5 plant. You can see a bit of leaf damage at the lower left side.
Next is a close look at the same leaf.
Like I mentioned some of the other plants have very little damage. Here is a spot on one of the Cinderella 99

I highly recommend a USB microscope. Cheap too. Mine was less than 30$ on the Zon. Here's one from my spider mites. Weren't too bad to get rid of. But still no fun. With the USB plugged into my phone I could easily see them. Without it I would have never found my hemp mites

Sneaky buggers :D I used green cleaner and safers soap for a few weeks. Broke the cycle then they were gone

I have a USB microscope that I have thought about using. Even without it I am pretty sure I am right. Blown up what I am seeing is just like Dankmans first picture. Lots of little black specs and a few bigger ones that are not as dark.

Everything looks the same today as it did yesterday. They are not eating much as of yet. I found a soap type spray for mites that I may use. I want to watch treating plants with stuff I am unsure will work. I what I have coming will work. Because of this I want to be able to use it right away when it gets here. I don't want them covered with a layer of soap spray when I spray the forbid.

I better break out the mirco scope tonight and check them. If they are there for sure like I believe they are. I might better treat them just in case. Even if I just throw a wrench in their plans for a few days that will slow them down till the big guns get here.

Dankman mentioned what he has is Hemp/Russet mites. They look real similar to what I have. If what I am seeing are mites. The fact that I have no webbing or strands of web on the underside of the leaves. Might mean that is what I have. On the bright side forbid kills them all. No need to identify what kind of mite.

The hemp russet mites look like skinny maggots with all the legs on one end of the body. They seem to be a problem across the country atm. I'm not sure why, maybe industrial hemp industry. Until lately they were not seen around this area

Looks like I may have been mistaken. I was wondering if the black specks were bug shit or just dirt. I only got to look at a couple of them on one leaf I removed for better inspection. They ended up being dirt. The USP microscope came in real handy. I didn't find any bugs at all. I can take a picture with the microscope. What I don't know is how to make that picture usable lol. I did get a picture of a picture to show what I thought were mites.
I thought these were rows of bugs under the hairs. They ended up something else. What ever it is it surrounds where the hair comes out of the leaf. None of what little leaf damage I could find has changed. If they were bugs I would be finding more leaf spots which I am not.

The plan now is just to keep watching them closely for a few days. Always knew I wanted to order some Forbid to have on hand in case mites show up. Like I mentioned it is quite spendy. Now I will have some as back up. I plan to wait a couple more days before dropping lights back. I still want to be sure that there are no mites. If I am confused about it at all I will spray just in case. This product does not hurt the plants, just bugs.

What the hell is a ratio anyway? I have been bitching about regular seeds this year why not keep it going LOL. I was hoping for one male Flo F-5 male. Both plants were female. I was hoping for a female Flo out of the 3 I have. All look to be male LMAO. This would be great if I wanted to wait another 2 weeks for it to produce pollen to use. Which I don't think is going to happen. It doesn't give me any Flo weed to try. I really wanted to compare Flo and Cinderella 99 head to head.

Well at least you have good luck with the bug situation :laughtwo: I love regs but it's a crap shoot for ratio's. I have a 10 pack of tanglieland from Crockett that I've cracked 5 out of and all were male's. Lol. Someday I'll get to crack the rest

Yeah it is a lot better to think. You do and not ,then not and then end up having them.

You mentioning the Tangieland males. I have been wondering about similar regular strains. I have a few regular strains that I plan to use regular pollen. Tangie is one of them. I am not so sure about using male pollen from Tangie hybrids. If I am working with a polyhybrid like so many are today. I prefer to use females in breeding. I don't know that it matters that much. The plan was to save the male pollen for stabilizing something else.

I don't know of many new strains that are anything but F-1 hybrids of F-1 hybrids. Is stable even a thing anymore?

My latest regular strain is one of Katsu's Burnt Toast F-1's. While I really want to see what females come from this hybrid. I don't think I would even consider using a male.

I'm not sure if stable is a thing anymore either. I know I personally have better luck with certain breeders. I think some at least go through proper testing. I also think some do not. For example I was really excited about 818 headband from Cali connection. It was good smoke but at week 6 it was throwing nanners like crazy. I had to finish it in my spare bathroom. I had 5 other strains going in the same environment with no issues, so I think it's just not stable.

Have you done a large pheno hunt of your crosses? I'm starting one atm. 21 sprouts are up so far. I grew few of these as testers awhile ago that were stable. So hopefully I'll get a stable keeper or two.

It's a fun project so far :D hopefully the mites don't return. LMAO

Pheno hunt no. I have tried a couple. The Choccrit is by far the best. I still smoke it and enjoy the highs more than most I have right now. I am going to have to choose which one I like the most out of the last few seeds to save some way. I can make this hybrid again if I want in the future. I don't have the exact parents but I have the strains. I will be crossing Chocoloco with a couple of other strains which ones I don't know yet.

I am sure I will buy more seeds over time. When my genetics are going to come in handy is when I don't have throw away money to buy more genetics.

I guess what I mean by stable. Is a strain that only has a few phenotype's instead of hundreds. I have good enough quality regular strains now. I don't think I will dumb down genetics much by using older more stable genetics. Not feeling it this grow with the 3 male Flo. So no breeding this run is out for me. I killed all 3 last night.

Which leaves me to where I am now. I have one tent full of happy little females. I won't be going with 2 tents this run.
As you can tell by the picture. I have switched from MH to HPS light. Since I was not going to run 2 tents I went with the 1000 watt light. I need to make some changes if I plan to keep this light. The 1/3 hp fan on the swamp cooler trips the breaker when it starts up. It doesn't trip the breaker while it is running as I only need to run it on low. The problem is the amount of power it uses to start up. It starts at full power then drops to low when everything is turning. That big draw all at once is to much.

I will be redoing everything today. I am back to running a 600 with supplemental Cob LED. I will still be running 900 watts with the 2 lights I plan to run. Pretty sure I will go with just the 600 watt HPS through stretch then add the Timber 3 light set up along with the HPS during flower.

I am planning it this way for a reason. I want these plants to stretch as much as possible. Once they start packing on buds I am hoping the LED light will add density to the buds. All the plants I have grown under LED have had firmer buds.

Yeah more and more I am seeing the need for a dedicated veg tent. I have been thinking more about it lately. If I do one I will be able to grow a couple auto flower strains in it also. While I use it for starts, clones, and mothers.

I did some rearranging last night. I pulled the 1000 watt light and fixture out of the big tent. It was replaced with a 600 watt HPS and a 3 light Timber COB led bar. While I dropped wattage by 100 watts to 900 now. I still think the plants will produce better. It ended up being a good thing as the cable to the 1000 watt ballast got hot and melted the plug a little. It was replaced. Here is a picture of how things look now.
It looks like the 600 is off center. I had to do it that way as the bulb is half the size as a 1000 watt. Next up grade will be to replace the 600 watt hps with a 4 light Timber bar. That would give me a total of 700 watts to flower under. My only problem with this is how the plants stretch in flower. With the taller tent I can keep the LED light higher. I hope this makes the plants stretch a little more. I have been expecting the plants to take off. Then I realized all the strains I have going right now are short bushy strains. If I were to take the bends out of the plants they would be twice as tall. Everything has shown sex so I know they are mature enough. They have also been in the big pots for over a month now so I know the root balls are pretty well formed.

The way things are set up. The 2 rows of plants in the middle are going to get a good mix of light. The plants in the front and back row are going to get more of one or the other. I still have not decided how to proceed with this.

Plan A. Move the back row plants to the front row once a week.

Plan B. Do nothing and see the difference in the plants when I am done.

As I have been setting everything up. I am having troubles deciding what lights to put where. I want to lower my power consumption is the main thing. I don't want to sacrifice anything by doing it though LOL. I can always fall back on my 1000 watt HPS if I find things are not working out. I have did so well with them for so long. The Timber LED's are going to be in one tent to see how they are going to work out as my main lights. For the 4 x 4 tent I had planned on just running the 600 watt HPS. Then I figured what the hell and was going to put a 1000 watt in it. That brings power back into the picture. Soooo I decided to get a 630 CMH light. They say it can replace a 1000 watt light. That I don't know about. It should do a lot better than the 600 HPS for the similar power.

This would give me a total of 1330 watts instead of 2000 between the 2 big tents.

I also find my self needing to figure out the next big tent grow. The big tent should be done in 8 weeks I need to have something to go back into it. Still undecided about a regular strain. Thinking about going with a Bodhi strain. I may just do females. I have lots of stuff to look at. I know The New will be going for sure. My only problem with running it is I don't have any male pollen to hit them with. I plan to clone and work with The New but it would be nice to have a few regular seeds to fall back on. What I really want and need to do is to cross the Monty Python I plan to regenerate and clone. If I find a great one. It could be perfect for a feminized Polyhybrid

One thing to note. I am getting a strain from Katsu that is Putang x Burnt Toast. I forget what he called it. It might be a good candidate for pollen. I wouldn't know much about it but it might pass on lots of terpenes.

Back
Top Bottom