Rascio - It's Growing!

Rascio

Hello and welcome :420: people to my first grow. Soon, I will be growing some Silver Haze plants in DocBud's HiBrix kit soil. While waiting for all the pieces of the planned grow, I decided to pop some of my freebies in some potting soil I have on hand. These are:

2x Afghan Kush,
2x Brazil Amazonia,

both from World of Seeds.

Strain Info -- Silver Haze (courtesy of seedfinder)
Strain: Silver Haze
Breeder: Sensi Seeds
Type: mostly sativa
Flowering: ~70 days
No feminized seeds. Sensi Seeds - Silver Haze
The first Haze is vintage masterpiece of cannabis breeding - a harmonious blend of complementary equatorial genotypes that's widely regarded as the purest and most powerful Sativa ever created. Sensi's award-winning Silver Haze distils the sunny cerebral magic of her towering parent into a manageable strain with great indoor potential

Haze started out as a multiple-Sativa hybrid with roots in Central America, South India and Thailand. Developed in the days before indoor growing and cultivated below 30°N, her breeders were not restricted by factors like height, yield or short summers. As indoor growing gained popularity in the Eighties, true Haze began to disappear. Though smokers still adored the soaring high, growers found her slow flowering, low yields and unstoppable height-gain impractical for indoor production.

Silver Haze was the first seed strain to offer a solution by delivering the full-strength Haze experience in a fatter, faster, more compact form. Together with NL#5xHaze (her taller sister), Silver Haze helped reverse the decline of the psychedelic Sativa. As soon as such frosted, pleasingly dense tropical crops could be produced efficiently with lights, ganja lovers all across the globe were able to sample that supreme high and the Haze cult rapidly spread far beyond its original circle of devotees.

The original Haze has had both its outrageous height gain and interminable flowering period brought under control by breeding with an extra-potent, non-dominant individual from the Northern Lights line. The dark Afghanica also throws its weight behind the feathery Sativa budding pattern, adding bulk without affecting flower formation.Silver Haze should still be expected to triple her vegetated height in flowering, so seedlings and clones may be flowered almost immediately in close-cultivation methods like SOG.

Silver Haze buds are composed of long, silky pistils sprouting from oval calyxes which surge along the stem and branches to fill the gaps between internodes. Afghani influence is seen in the strain's thick layers of silver resin glands and the way her calyxes swell, adding density in the final weeks of flowering.

Long flowering period (65 - 75 days)
75% Sativa

Strain Info -- Afghan Kush

World of Seeds Bank - Afgan Kush
Comes from mountainous system of Hindu Kush (north of Afghanistan).

Another pure land-race indica Kush, grows wild in the valleys of Armu Darya river valley that border with Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. It's a variety very stable (almost 100% indica) and probably has been the fruit of successive cross-backs between wild varieties Kush since the different races Kush, grow nearly itself in a geographic zone relatively reduced.

Powerful, smells like the best afgani hashish,we can consider a very valuable like a medicinal chemo-type.

Way of cropping: Mainly indoor/very good yield outdoor
Race: Pure race obtained from the Afgani Kush zone
Genotype: Almost 100% Indica
High: Less than 1.5 m indoor/ until 2 meters outdoor
Wide: Depending on prune. Some branched without prune
Growing time: Three weeks
Harvest time: 45-55 days indoor/average October outdoor/pollitano
Resistance to mushrooms: Average
Resistance to plague: Depends on the plague
Irrigation tolerance: High tolerance to frequent irrigation and fertilization
Yield: Over 400 gr per m2 indoor/ 500 - 600 gr per plant outdoor
Medicinal value: High (for its high content in CBD).Excellent like anti-emetic and antispasmodic
Smell: Hashish.
Flavor: Fruity-sweet.
Effects: Very narcotic, almost devastating

THC Level: 21.6% measured upon the rest of cannabinoids. 7.4% measured upon the rest of organic substances belonging to buds like: amino-acids, sugars, terpenoids, vegetal hormones, and cannabinoids (determined by gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry)

Strain Info -- Brazil Amazonia

Strain: Brazil Amazonia
Breeder: World of Seeds
Type: mostly indica
Flowering: ~58 days
Normal or female seeds.

A Brazilian strain from the heart of the Amazonian rainforest. Very vigorous and leafy, Brazil Amazonia grows wild in the jungle where indigenous tribes use it in many ways, including to alleviate all kinds of pain, including childbirth. A potent Sativa effect initially that becomes more sedative as time passes. A bittersweet, fruity aroma and taste, she produces enormous, stem-bending buds. We selected an early flowering strain for this cross, resulting in an end product with some highly desirable properties such as a more compact size and more abundant flowering.

Sex: Regular
Lineage: Southern Brazil
Genotype: 75% sativa/25% indica; small yet bushy stature
Grow Method: indoor/outdoor
Harvest Time (indoors): between 75 and 90 days
Harvest Time (outdoors): end November
Yield: 400g indoor / 500-600g outdoor
Taste: Fruity
Aroma: Sweet, mild; fruity
Effect: Slightly sedative yet cerebral; strong.
THC: 18.1%
Resistance to Mould: Medium
Resistance to Pests: Medium
Medicinal Value: High

I know I prefer sativas, but I'm glad I'm taking this opportunity to learn with some indica strains. If all goes to plan, I will be able to grow and harvest these learner plants when the hibrix haze plants are ready for flowering.

The first mj seed I planted this century was one of my precious haze seeds. I put it in a pot of moist Promix Potting Mix, without so much as a soak. it didn't sprout. This is what I found after 7 days:

20150507_065359.jpg

The seed coat was still covering those cotyledons, it fell off when I brushed the soil away. Anyhow, I think it may have sprouted in another day. It encountered some early stress in the form of an overlarge chip of pearlite and was having trouble punching through to the surface, I think.

While all that was going on I dropped a Kush seed in a cup of tap water that had been sitting for a while, then planted in a cup of the same soil. It started to emerge Monday evening and dragged its little seed leaves out of the soil overnight Tuesday.

20150506_190637.jpg

It was a little bent and twisted from the way it emerged. it came out as a loop of stem first, growing approximately 1/4" out of the soil before the stem had enough spring to it to drag the seed leaves out from under whatever was dragging them down. it spent Tuesday in a flurry of development,
20150506_190704.jpg

only to be trampled by the lid to my grinder. Somehow I managed to drop it square onto the seedling without smashing either of my cfl bulbs, which are mounted precariously above the sprout on a make-shift stand.
20150506_233029.jpg

and now my seedling is coming along nicely, I think.
1431042147146-175982838.jpg

I wish I could show you some of the pics I took with my camera. it has a macro setting that works with 3x zoom, and enough resolution to show a clear picture after blowing up another 4-8x revealing so much beauty in the tiny little hairs on the leaves ... and that magical zone where new leaf material is laid down.

My first seedlings came out just as I was beginning a 3 day rest from work. I can stare at that little seedling for hours on end.

oh and please don't worry, there is no mmj emergency here. I have some decent meds to hold me through the grow:

20150507_065730.jpg

Meanwhile, I soaked and planted the two Brazilians. I'll be setting up a 4x2 tent on the weekend.

Delayed Smoke Report

Silver Haze

I started and finished my trip to Europe last summer in Amsterdam. First few days I mostly sampled hash, and those were mostly for sentimental reasons. I started smoking in the late 70s, and in my prohibition zone, that meant a choice between seedy mexican brickweed at $20/oz, or equally seedy Columbian at $20/quarter. There was also occasionally some wxotic varieties, but they were rare finds (for me anyhow -- I was 15). The early 80s was all hash here. First blonde or red from Lebanon, then black hash from Afghanistan via Turkey.

Since about 1988 this local market has been dominated by locally grown hydro bud. Variety is based on whatever the grow operators find most profitable -- generally some kush strain or another.

Anyhow, the night before I resumed my travels I stepped into one of the cafes, and tried some silver haze. I was too wasted to give a clear account of the effects -- I just knew I liked it and wanted more.

I had a 4 hour stopover on the way back to the new world, and knew just what to do. What could possibly go wrong?

Took me a while to find what I was looking for and a while longer to find my favourite cafe. I walked in with my gram bud of SH and grabbed a bong and found my spot in the back. there was a big bay window overlooking the canals.

One bong hit and the grin was alreadyy spreading. only trouble was it was still only like 10:30 and the place was dead. I needed people!

My wish came true in the form of thre travellers, recently arrived in Amsterdam from the Basque country in Spain. I really love a good social smoke. and now that I had an audience it was time to represent!

Loaded the bowl to the brim and took nearly all of it in one long slow steady draught. I was nearly interrupted, not by coughing, but by watching the big brown eyes of the Basque girls get bigger and bigger as I continued to toast that bud.

Normally I'm a sociable sort, but a social sativa really takes it up a notch. I don't know what we talked about but I do know that a good time was had. It was now after 11 and time to start making mt eay to the airport. Then, for the first time ever, I started feeling something like a paranoia attack. it was odd though, I was having these paranoid thoughts, but in a chill, detached way. I was like 'hmmm .. so this is what paranoia feels like ... interesting.'

Then it went away and I decided I neefed to spend some loose euro's before leaving. Thats when I bought this:

20150507_065954.jpg
and some gifts for friends and coworkers. There ead a vharming young woman in the shop and I lingered and chatted for a while.

I was walking out of the shop, when I realized I hadn't taken the train ride from the central station to the airport into account when allotting time for my return trip. it was now 11:45 ... my plane departs at 12:30. Time to pick up speed. Caught the train to Schiphol just before noon and scrambled to get all of my things into my carry-on to simplify security checks.

There was a lovely KLM employee beside me as I took the escalator from the train platform to the departure area. I showed her my boarding pass and asked if she thought I had any cjance of caching my plane. she looked at my pass long and hard, annd after some more time considering, looked at me and said 'no, sorry sir you will miss it'.

I ran!

It was like a scene out of the movies. I had about a 1/4 mile to get to the departure area, and the same again to my gate. Of course there was a very long line at the first checkpoint. I used all my charm and appearance of desperation th bud to the front, waited patiently for the official and his stam then running again.

There eas nobody at the gate except security and the head stewardess, who was callling me by my name as I skidded into security.

Of course I got the full scan and search. Made it onto the plane drenched in sweat from the run. no longer high .. not even a little bit.

So next time I smoke the haze, im hoping it will be my own produce, and I wont have a plane to catch.

You seems so delightful. Although planting a herb is not my thing but I got inspiration with your post and this community. Upload some photos please when they grow more.

Your link is indeed working. I had no idea you just started your journal. I reckon Im subbed. :) Your babies are adorable and I cant wait to watch them grow into big beautiful ladies.

Best of luck!

Subbed! Made the front row. WooHoo! Now let me check out your post. :reading420magazine:

You sir, are the most amazing storyteller in an already accomplished group. Be still my beating heart. You keep writing like that and you'll never get rid of me. :love:

"Delayed smoke report". :rofl:

There's no way I'm missing this!

So captivating Rascio! May the gardening gods be over your shoulder. :Namaste:

I started reading and I couldn't stop! No surprise Susan beat me here hahah :rofl:

Love, peace and prosperity my friend

Welcome Shaun!

Did I mention how much I love this plant?
It's growing on my coffee table. I can't seem to keep my eyes off it, so may as well be comfortable. Having fun watching the second set of leaves start to form.

20150509_1035041.jpg

Predictive text suggests the strangest things sometimes. When I wrote "second" back there, and again just now, the suggested word to follow was defenestration. Look up "second defenestration" for an interesting tidbit of European history.

A few hours later:

20150509_204437.jpg

This is about as clear as I can get wit my phone:

20150509_204437-z.jpg

How thankful am I that we live in a society where throwing people out of windows is not the normal way of settling disputes. :laughtwo:

It's nice to meet another truly obsessive gardener with a smart phone. I have a hard time taking pictures of my plants out of my phone or iPad. LOL!

G'day :420:,

My grow, such as it is, is moving forward. The 2 Brazilian seeds I planted bith pushed through the soil with seed coats still attached. I was able to remove half of one if them, then the secind side yesterday. The first true leaves started growing within the seed coat, resulting in a weird start:

20150513_203420.jpg

Looks a bit like bull horns.

No amount of moistening and gentle prodding would dislodge the coat from the second seed, so I pulled it. Possibly it would have sorted itself eventually, but we won't find out because I ate it.

To replace my casualties, I soaked one of my silver haze seeds overnight. When I woke up this morning, I was surprised to find it sunk to the bottom. Hope I didn't drown the poor thing. it's now in a cup of soil ... I promise to keep faith and patience for this one.

My little kush plant is coming along nicely, I think:

20150514_102430.jpg

The second and third fingers of the second pair of leaves are growing in, and the third set has started. No internodal spacing to speak of. My setup is very temporary, as there is a maintenance inspection of my apartment next week. probably best not to set up my tent til after they've nosed around.

20150514_102525.jpg

I have 4x 23w cfls over the kush and one over the tiny Brazilian. Half soft white (2400ish K) and half daylight (6500 K).

Not sure how many of these are safe to put on a single string of lamp wiring, but I think the wire is rated for 2 amps. Probably I'll make a second string after 6 lights. A good LED is in my June budget ... should be in time for flowering.

Wishing a good dose of frosty nugs and great food, wine, and merriment to my fellow British subjects this May long weekend, and to the rest of yas too! :circle-of-love: :peace:

You've got things coming along great!! Love the bull horns!! Lol. Remember to surround the plant with the CFLs not just the canopy.

But man things look great for you! Keep it up!

Cheers and Happy May long!!

I love a first grow! Exciting, yes?

You can run dozens of the CFLs without worrying about power/breakers. They don't pull much power at all. I run 2 HIDs and have to separate them on the breakers. I can plug in CFLs on either line with no probs.

Keep up the good work!

Rats, I missed the first page!

:slide:

If I may suggest ...

Use 75% blue CFLs in early veg like that - the red is of little benefit now and it helps them stretch - we don' want that yet.

Back
Top Bottom