Ravenplume's First Grow Journal: Random Tardis Seed Au Naturale & Cheap

Ravenplume

So this is my first attempt at a grow journal, and what I calculate to be my 4th attempt at a successful grow.

Attempt #1 got neglected down in the grow room, and was left for dead. It was actually a minor success; as it at least produced about a 10th of an ounce

Attempt #2 got stressed down in the grow room and hermed.

Attempt #3, was the project I had referred to here as Feyleaf. She was a partial success. From random samplings, the effectiveness seems to be real hit or miss, to the point I can't be sure if I am just believing it is and acting accordingly. The problem was that she got planted close to a month too late in the season, and went through a couple too many freezes. However, even if the yield was weak, I feel that I can find other uses for the buds and leaves, perhaps culinary. No harm seeing what we can do with it, eh? We have quite a few cuttings that are surviving, but not growing at this time; some planted in small pots, and some just being kept in water. We also dug up the mother plant with her root ball and transplanted into a big trash can to see if we can revive her over the winter.

So now we get to this new project that just fell into my lap. I recently made the pilgrimage to my favorite dispensary, and got an ounce of Tardis for $90 ($100 minus their 10% military discount). While grinding a bit of the bud up in my fingers before going into the vaporizer, a seed fell out onto the table (a nice $60-$80 bonus value from what I could determine. Wasting no time, I grabbed a coffee mug, filled it with wrm tap water, dropped the seed in, and put it under a florescent lamp. As hoped, a day or two later, a taproot was showing, the start of a baby Tardis.

And here is its first baby picture, about three days later.

Grow-Journal-Tardis-00.jpg

I believe that in another day or two, it will be getting planted into a Styrofoam cup of yard dirt to truly begin the grow process, with pot upgrades throughout the winter, just like the previous plant. Whether it ends up being male or female won't really matter much, as I've been wanting one male plant any way for future breeding experiments.

Planted in a cup of ordinary yard dirt just yesterday. Less than 24 hours later, it is already poking its head above the surface...

Grow-Journal-Tardis-01.jpg

And we already have the larger pot picked out for when it outgrows the cup; a pot that it will stay in all Winter. Not much else to say about it for now. Next update will be when the first leaves show, I guess.

Wow! This baby is growing a lot faster than expected. I thought it would still be a few more days before this next phase, but the first leaves have already shown, and it should be popping its seed shell off soon.

Grow-Journal-Tardis-02.jpg

Sure, I could carefully remove it myself, but I always like letting these things happen on their own.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Yeah. All is well. There just hasn't been anything significant to report warranting an update. At this point, it is all just waiting. Here is how it is looking right now.

Tardis-1-20190205.jpg

I suspect the lower levels drying out is pretty normal, sorta like losing one's baby teeth?

Other than that, the only other thing to report is the scope of the grow has expanded, thanks to finding another "opportunity seed" in the bag the evening of the 3rd.

It was of course put in a little plastic cup of water and placed under a lamp right away...

Tardis-2-20190203.jpg

And then just yesterday, on the 5th, we already have a taproot showing.

Tardis-2-20190205.jpg

And on that note, time for one more toker hit, finish this glass of wine, and call it a night.

Housemate ended up putting 2nd Tardis seed in dirt this morning, due to misunderstanding a misunderstanding I had expressed a year or two back when we first started doing the germinate in a cup of water first method.

He was adding water to the cup, since it was getting low, and was concerned when the seedling sank. He thought that if that happened, it could kill it, hen the thing he was misremembering was my early on confusion about whether a seed is viable or dead if it floats or sinks. Before I discovered this site, I really could not discern one way or another if a sinking seed meant it was dead and a floating one meant it was good. The various sites I had been referencing were giving all sorts of confusing answers. Fortunately, it turned out that the seed's bouyancy had nothing to do with its viability, as I have germinated both successfully shortly after.

Anyway, here it is as of this morning...

Tardis-2-20190209.jpg

And some noticeable growth has already been reported to be from the top of the stairs. Next time I go up that way, I'll have a look and get another pic, as well as a fresh pic of Tardis 1.

Alright, so here is the latest update.

The first Tardis plant is getting really tall, chasing the light.

We've been hoping to see it "bulk out" like the last one did before planting. We even tried adding some lights from the side, but the plant just grew in the direction of one of the side lamps.

So we are wondering, would topping be viable as a way to encourage latteral growth this early in the game, or is it still far too young and vulnerable for something so traumatic>

Guess this journal can be officially closed out.

Short summary.

Grow was a moderate to great success in several ways. I am getting some perfectly good smokable bud despite heavy seeding. And granted, many of the buds and branches did not get seeded. It is obviously satisfying me, because I have not felt the urge to scrape the last of the commercial stuff we bought at the beginning of December for one final smoke. I am having no problem waiting until March before we make the pilgrimage to Sumpter again for a fresh load of whatever sounds good (and the last couple times, it ended up being one of the $150 per ounce containers instead of the$100/ounce special, which comes in zipper bags.

And the major success story of this grow is the nice supply of seeds I am getting. Already had over a dozen germinate a couple days ago, and that will be the start of my next grow journal, the 2019 Feyleaf candidates (the first name I have planned for when I do my first successful breeding). So hopefully, I will get a mix of male and female in this "litter", so I can do the next step in getting my "baseline" pure strain established. :D

Also got a seed out of each of the ounces bought in December (Sour Sunset and Mr. Clean). We will get those germinating in the Spring, and see if we can get even more variety for future breeding projects (Got lots of great names I've concocted over the past few years since I started experimenting with growing; and it would be a shame to let them go to waste.

Anyway, hopefully the next grow journal will be more frequently updated. Now to have a belated 4:20 (4:33 here now), then get back to work on my Etsy, eBay, and Retro Rookery stuff.

Since I see this still hasn't been moved to Completed Journals, I will go ahead and post a final update.

The herb taken from this is doing its job and giving a decent high, despite heavy seeding. And to top it off, I was informed by my sister in law that the sample I gave her was better than anything they had managed. And my neighbor (who also grows) confirmed that it was good too.

I am calling this grow now Tardis Lite. That was because it grew from an opportunity seed found in the bag of Tardis mentioned at the start of the journal. And being an opportunity seed, that implied that the flower it came from got pollinated by who knows what?

With those two confirmations, and with the seeds proving viable as the start of my breeding project, I can declare this grow a full success, and can declare the journal closed.

Figured since it looks like they are all starting to look good, I would do another quick update.

Unfortunately, it cuts off abruptly because the batteries in the camera died. Guess it is time to go shopping and finally see about getting a supply of AA Li_On batteries and a couple chargers for them.

Since I see this still hasn't been moved to Completed Journals

Did you use the Report (post) link that is at the bottom of every post to ask a staff member to do so? If you did, they must have had a high workload that day and missed it. At this point, you'll probably have to do so again.

Thank you for posting the "after-action" update! I have always felt that they are important, in regards to really making one of these cannabis grow journals complete.

Oh, and congratulations on the quality of your harvest. That's as important as yield, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom