Ravens Suddenly Trying To Dump Marijuana Supporter Eugene Monroe

Katelyn Baker

The Baltimore Ravens are trying to pass off their attempts to trade offensive tackle Eugene Monroe as a simple football move. Maybe it is. But it's really, really, really hard to believe this has little to do with Monroe's strong stance that the NFL should adopt marijuana as a pain-killing option.

The organization has gotten its message out through various stories. The Ravens want everyone to know the decision to trade Monroe is all about his injury history and the team drafting offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley in the first round. But they've known about Monroe's injury issues for a long time and they drafted tackle Ronnie Stanley almost two months ago. Yet, in mid-June the Ravens are suddenly in a rush to dump Monroe.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Wednesday if the Ravens can't trade Monroe they will cut him, as soon as Wednesday but no later than Thursday.

In late May, Monroe wrote a long piece for The Player's Tribune advocating marijuana instead of the powerful painkillers NFL teams offer their players. He has discussed the issue often on Twitter the past few weeks. The Ravens never supported him, and according to ESPN Ravens coach John Harbaugh said, "I promise you, he does not speak for the organization."

On June 10, Monroe tweeted this:

@Ravens continue to distance themselves from me and my cause. I invite you all to do some research. I won't stop. This is for my brothers.​

On Tuesday, reports surfaced that the Ravens were trying to trade him. And if they can't trade him by Thursday, they're reportedly going to cut him. Huh.

Monroe has had various injuries that have caused him to miss 15 games the past two seasons. And Stanley is a great left tackle prospect. But again, it's incredibly tough to believe that this is a run-of-the-mill football decision. It's not like the Ravens woke up in June and suddenly realized Monroe has dealt with a lot of injuries the past two seasons, and then decided because of those injuries they needed to place an artificial deadline on extracting him from the organization. The Ravens aren't struggling with the salary cap (more than $7 million in room) and it's not like extra salary-cap room helps much in June. The Ravens just want Monroe gone, and are in a hurry to get rid of him as well.

Monroe has been a good left tackle when healthy. The Ravens gave Monroe a five-year, $37.5 million contract in 2014 after trading for him from the Jacksonville Jaguars the season before. Things change in the NFL. Monroe, mostly because of injury issues, hasn't lived up to the contract. He was discussed as a possible cap casualty early in the offseason, so it's not like it's a shock the Ravens want to get rid of him. But the Ravens held on to him through the offseason, he is just 29 years old and could contribute while Stanley learns. The cap savings for cutting Monroe aren't tremendous. They'd get about $4.3 million in savings this year and have $4.4 million in dead money next year. But the team has apparently decided it needs Monroe to be gone by Thursday.

Maybe this is just a football move and Monroe being outspoken about painkiller use in the NFL and advocating marijuana is just a tiny little part of this decision. Maybe.

eugene-monroe.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ravens Suddenly Trying To Dump Marijuana Supporter Eugene Monroe
Author: Frank Schwab
Photo Credit: Associated Press

Back
Top Bottom