RDWC People

I am far less disappointed with my harvest than I thought. I have just under five pounds of buds, and they are just fine.
We had issues that nearly did the girls in, but all is well now. It is amazing how stupid a person can be sometimes, but I guess you have to learn somehow. My son pulled a couple of underperforming plants, and left the roots in the baskets. I never thought about it. Naturally root rot ensued, and it was made worse by some of the tubes being partially blocked by hydroton.
So, since it’s 110 degrees outside right now, we have a few weeks to work on re engineering the system. I think 2 inch lines will help a bunch.
I’m glad to have you experienced folks willing to help.
I have many basic questions, especially when it comes to feeding frequency and duration. I muddled through this first trip, but would like to have more guidance next time.
Well saved mate. Looks worth the fight too. Love your glaucoma tag too. Handy for any trials !. Lol

Hey Islandgrow, great looking grow. I had the same idea of the res being outside your tent. Did you cut a hole in your tent? I elevated everything to the level of the port hole and went out there to an outside res tank. I just couldn’t cut my tent. The pic shows the crates my entire system sits on making it level with the port.

Thanks Gadget. I actually just took the Current Culture design off of their website and then used my own fittings, buckets, pipes, etc. Yes, I cut a small flap so that the 1 1/2 inch pvc hose could fit through. I was hoping the hose would flex over the bottom zipper of the tent but it was too rigid, so a hole it was. i though about raising everything up like you did but i need the vertical height.

I am far less disappointed with my harvest than I thought. I have just under five pounds of buds, and they are just fine.
We had issues that nearly did the girls in, but all is well now. It is amazing how stupid a person can be sometimes, but I guess you have to learn somehow. My son pulled a couple of underperforming plants, and left the roots in the baskets. I never thought about it. Naturally root rot ensued, and it was made worse by some of the tubes being partially blocked by hydroton.
So, since it’s 110 degrees outside right now, we have a few weeks to work on re engineering the system. I think 2 inch lines will help a bunch.
I’m glad to have you experienced folks willing to help.
I have many basic questions, especially when it comes to feeding frequency and duration. I muddled through this first trip, but would like to have more guidance next time.

looking great Salton. you'll find that 2" pipe will solve the problem, i've had no issued with blockage

Thank you. I’m looking forward to the next adventure. REALLY enjoying the fruits right now.

I been growing a little over a year and my last grow that I am in the process of harvesting now was my first RDWC grow and despite the many screw ups I had, its turning out to be my best grow to date. I picked up from amazon a DWC system and in hindsight, I wasted my money. About 6 to 7 week into the grow I was defoliating my girl and my hands felt like they was getting shocked. The water pump that came with the kit developed a short and if I stuck my hand into the solution I would of been electrocuted. Had to replace it and the air pump wasn't putting out enough air in my opinion.

Had a lot of problems with root rot until I put a po-mans chiller on it. I ran hydroguard thru the whole grow exactly as it said to use it and a few times I put more than it called for to combat the root rot. I also bought an industrial air pump that puts out 930cu ft/min going to three large air stones. Still root rot symptoms would show up on my leaves until I made a chiller. The solution was running between 75 to 79 degrees. Found a decent cooler on sale, drilled two holes in the lid and 80 ft of dark neoprene 1/2 in hose in it with one side going to a small pump and the other side pumping cool water into the tank. Filled the chiller about half way with water and added ice. Set the temp controller to 69 and not a single problem with root rot since. Daily I need to change out the dozen 20 oz coke bottles of ice and it can be a pain doing it daily but if it keep my girl healthy, its worth it.

After I finish harvesting my current grow I am gonna take a month or two break from growing and I want to redesign my set up. My next grow I plan on doing the journal here on 420magazine.

Nice thread to come across. I recently started RDWC and will be harvesting this Sunday hopefully. It's my 3rd grow, first 2 were in soil.

I have a question you more experienced guys can answer. I noticed when I flushed 2 of my underperforming plants for close to a week, they showed zero signs of flush and leavee were all still just as green. I thought in dwc a 3 to 4 day flush was all that was needed?

Also, I grow in 80f to 86f rez temps, no issues with root rot thanks to Hydroguard.

3 words boys......hydroguard, hydroguard, and hydroguard. i've been doing dwc for years now and i've never had root rot or anything but healthy plants - I've been using hydroguard from day 1.

another good product to try in combination with Hydroguard is an enzyme mix called Hygrozyme. it breaks down dead plant/organic matter and feeds the bennies....it's an enzyme not a benny so doesn't compete with the bennies.

If you're not going to use bennies, then do a sterile res. The Current Culture nutrient line with their UC Roots that sterilizes the res water no no bennies or enzymes at all, but no bad bacteria either. Res Clear does the same thing as UC Roots if you don't want to use Current Culture.

Wow they look healthy and vibrant. On my 1st one and am where u were at beginning I think.lol
dwc is supposed to be easy too !!!!!!. Fingers crossed mine gets roots like those beauties.

No grow journal? I was gonna check it out :p
If you are growing in high temps, that hydroguard is just not optional if you wish to avoid root rot. Low temps like 68 - 70 then you shouldnt have any rot, atleast not from water temp. I didnt use any root enhancers so your roots should come out just as good if not better (if your running that 68-70f). In my upcoming 6x Jack Herer grow, its going to be everything i used this time (General hydroponics Micro/Grow/Bloom, Big Bud, Bud Candy, Overdrive, Calimagic, Hydroguard) plus Great White (root enhancer) so im hoping to see some monster roots or at the very least, bigger than this harvest roots. Only a day away from chop!

3 words boys......hydroguard, hydroguard, and hydroguard. i've been doing dwc for years now and i've never had root rot or anything but healthy plants - I've been using hydroguard from day 1.

another good product to try in combination with Hydroguard is an enzyme mix called Hygrozyme. it breaks down dead plant/organic matter and feeds the bennies....it's an enzyme not a benny so doesn't compete with the bennies.

If you're not going to use bennies, then do a sterile res. The Current Culture nutrient line with their UC Roots that sterilizes the res water no no bennies or enzymes at all, but no bad bacteria either. Res Clear does the same thing as UC Roots if you don't want to use Current Culture.
I have been using pyth patrol tablets in the res. I dont think rot was my issue and was more overfeeding in first week. There are signs if recovery now thank fully. Will look into hydroguard too . Thank you

No grow journal? I was gonna check it out :p
If you are growing in high temps, that hydroguard is just not optional if you wish to avoid root rot. Low temps like 68 - 70 then you shouldnt have any rot, atleast not from water temp. I didnt use any root enhancers so your roots should come out just as good if not better (if your running that 68-70f). In my upcoming 6x Jack Herer grow, its going to be everything i used this time (General hydroponics Micro/Grow/Bloom, Big Bud, Bud Candy, Overdrive, Calimagic, Hydroguard) plus Great White (root enhancer) so im hoping to see some monster roots or at the very least, bigger than this harvest roots. Only a day away from chop!
I do have journal running with same name as my signiture. ?. Fingers crossed i may have it sussed now.

Just noticed i never got back to this thread about my harvest. Made my now all time high of 2 pounds! Very happy with the results and am hoping next grow i can get the same or better results. Gonna try more lollipopping for less popcorn and bigger/fatter buds.

20181019_192331.jpg

@Salton you said you got just under 5 pounds, thats awesome! What was your setup?
Three 1000 watt HPS. 110 gallon res. 18 five gallon buckets, a water chiller, 18000? BTU mini split AC.
I have a nice dehumidifier. I have air cooled hoods, three wall fans and a floor fan.
I use hydro flakes nutrients.
Just going for a weeklong vacation, and will be cranking her up for our second run. I learned a whole bunch on my first hydro grow, probably just enough to mess up the second.
I can get in my car, and within between three minutes, and eight minutes be at my choice of eight dispensaries, and can’t buy anything better than my son and I grew in my back room.

Three 1000 watt HPS. 110 gallon res. 18 five gallon buckets, a water chiller, 18000? BTU mini split AC.
I have a nice dehumidifier. I have air cooled hoods, three wall fans and a floor fan.
I use hydro flakes nutrients.
Just going for a weeklong vacation, and will be cranking her up for our second run. I learned a whole bunch on my first hydro grow, probably just enough to mess up the second.
I can get in my car, and within between three minutes, and eight minutes be at my choice of eight dispensaries, and can’t buy anything better than my son and I grew in my back room.
I believe it! This hydro bud is the cleanest and most pungent stuff I've smoked yet! I've also received a compliment from someone who claims it's better than dispensary. I believe this to be due to many dispensaries dont do a long jar cure so as soon as its hang dried, it's trimmed and packaged for sale, but then again, what do I know lol. I've only been growing since late last year.

Back
Top Bottom