RDWC system question

booboostank

420 mag,

Its been awhile since I have posted, my last post was on my journal here in which I happened to abandon and actually got into a little trouble with the landlord for so sorry if anyone was interested in that journal. But I will say the final product was outstanding for my first run and I was very pleased. Anywho enough on that I am currently going to be moving to a 4000 watt grow room and plan on running it hydroponically much like my cabinet, I want to run a RDWC system with large 8 gallon bins for the plants and a 13 gallon control bucket connected to a 55 gallon res that feeds the 13 gallon via a float valve when the water level drops, as well as have a water chiller connected to the control bucket.

My question to you guys is with typical rdwc I have only seen them 2 bins wide and length is dependent on the grow space, can you make a rdwc system that is 4 bins wide and 4 long that will fit equally in a 10x10 room that has 4 plants per 1000 watt light? I want to run a water chiller and don't want to have to buy 2 separate chillers and for simplicity I would like to keep just one control bin. If something like this isn't possible, is it possible to chill your water with 2 control buckets and just one chiller if so let me know! Thanks guys!

Booboo

Here's a sketch for visual reference (as you can tell I'm not a graphics designer haha! the yellow rectangles are the pvc, and the black square is the pump):
layoutjt.png

Most certainly doable.

My questions however are:

1. How big is the chiller?
2. What size lines or pvc are feeding the buckets?
3. How big is the pump?

Personal suggestion, add a inline y type filter on the feed to pump side. Could save your ass (or pump) as there will inevitably be tiny stuff, root material, whatever floating through the system from time to time. Have a shut off valve placed before the Y.

Have a backup pump just in case.

Setup a shutoff valve before the 1st bucket on each side. Can make cleaning/draining a little easier. And plan out your draining cleaning routine and hardware ahead of time. You could easily change the entire system out in 30 mins or less. But cleaning if needed can take a little extra time.

I am jealous and wish you the best!

Thanks Bassman,

1. For the chiller I was thinking a 1/4hp would that be sufficient you think?
2. I was thinking of either doing 1.5'' in or 2'' wide pvc pipes
3. As for pump I am kinda unsure what do you think would be a good gph to shoot for?

Can you explain the y filter a little more that would be an awesome addition for insurance

Thanks Bassman,

1. For the chiller I was thinking a 1/4hp would that be sufficient you think?
2. I was thinking of either doing 1.5'' in or 2'' wide pvc pipes
3. As for pump I am kinda unsure what do you think would be a good gph to shoot for?

Can you explain the y filter a little more that would be an awesome addition for insurance

1. I would think so for 16x 5g
2. 2" mains with reducer to 1.5" to pump will be great.
3. I would say in the area of 350 gph. The chiller would want like 270 gph, and you want good flow from the recirc system.

This link to home depot shows y filters and the inline shutoff valve you can attach too.
Search Results for pvc y filter valve at The Home Depot

Back
Top Bottom