Re-using/re-purposing used soil

Bilbobudkin420

So quick question. Ive chopped my mama mia and have chucked the soil, roots and remaining plant with it in a compost bin and also taken some and filled one of my pete pots with it to start a seedling. theres some roots still in the soil (did try to remove as much as possible but it was a smart pot so far to fibrous for me to remove all of em) will this be a problem?

I haven't had any issues that I can attribute to having used sunshine mix #4 in subsequent grows. I try to flush the soil quite a bit before I plant the next seed to ensure none of the nute build up is left behind. I don't think the smaller root threads left behind cause a problem. Hope that helps :Namaste:

I haven't had any issues that I can attribute to having used sunshine mix #4 in subsequent grows. I try to flush the soil quite a bit before I plant the next seed to ensure none of the nute build up is left behind. I don't think the smaller root threads left behind cause a problem. Hope that helps :Namaste:
Thanks golfer. Appreciate it

I don’t know what kind of soil you’re using BB. I don’t think a few roots would be big problem if you’re growing in organic soil. The roots will try to affect things a little as they break down- but a good soil should be able to handle a few fine roots in it. True soil should be reusable - you just may or may not need to add some nutrients depending on the mix.
I grow my weed in sunshine mix, which isn’t really considered to be soil and is usually called a ‘soilless mix’- a form of hydroponic medium. The peat moss mixes are not really considered reusable as the fibers break down over time and their structure changes- compacting more and holding less oxygen.
Also the peat starts to compost over time and transform into a nutrient itself, instead of being just an inert substance to hold roots as it originally was. So in time it becomes quite a different thing than it started out as.
I reuse the stuff sometimes when it hasn’t been used for long- like when I cull a plant in early to mid veg. Usually for smallish pots that I know I’m going to be adding quite a lot of fresh mix to as they get larger. All my well-used sunshine mix goes in the compost bin where it eventually becomes part of a ‘real’ soil mix for the vegetable garden.

I don’t know what kind of soil you’re using BB. I don’t think a few roots would be big problem if you’re growing in organic soil. The roots will try to affect things a little as they break down- but a good soil should be able to handle a few fine roots in it. True soil should be reusable - you just may or may not need to add some nutrients depending on the mix.
I grow my weed in sunshine mix, which isn’t really considered to be soil and is usually called a ‘soilless mix’- a form of hydroponic medium. The peat moss mixes are not really considered reusable as the fibers break down over time and their structure changes- compacting more and holding less oxygen.
Also the peat starts to compost over time and transform into a nutrient itself, instead of being just an inert substance to hold roots as it originally was. So in time it becomes quite a different thing than it started out as.
I reuse the stuff sometimes when it hasn’t been used for long- like when I cull a plant in early to mid veg. Usually for smallish pots that I know I’m going to be adding quite a lot of fresh mix to as they get larger. All my well-used sunshine mix goes in the compost bin where it eventually becomes part of a ‘real’ soil mix for the vegetable garden.
Ok so sounds like Ive kinda done the right thing. Use a little bit to start off a seedling and Ive chucked the rest in my compost bin. Sweet Weezy!

Back
Top Bottom