Reader Disagrees With 'marijuana Propaganda'

Urdedpal

Dear Editor, RE: Daring To Support DARE Program:
I applaud anyone's efforts to keep kids from using drugs, but as a Federal Medical Marijuana Licence Holder who is also married to one, I deeply resent the "all use is abuse" propaganda put forward by the RCMP and DARE. Adults have lost all credibility when it comes to all drugs, because we have lied and exaggerated the so-called "dangers" of marijuana. We tell kids that marijuana will cause cancer, schizophrenia, impotence, permanent stupidity and an addiction to hard drugs.

When kids find the truth on their own ( which is just a Google search away ), they will realize they have been systematically lied to by people they once trusted. They will think; "Adults lied about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and marijuana, so they must be lying about meth, crack, booze, safe-sex and safe-driving, too."

And who can blame them?

We advertise booze, fast cars, fast food, violent movies and video games and drugs of all kinds on TV, then tell kids "say no to drugs." We give kids Ritalin, instead of reducing their sugar and Game-Boy intake, and then tell kids "pot is dangerous!" They see right though this hypocrisy.

Taking the marijuana business out of the hands of kids and criminals and putting it into the hands of responsible adults is socially conservative.

Generating tax revenue from that industry is fiscally conservative, and using that money to teach kids why they should avoid drugs is morally conservative. By not legalizing and regulating marijuana production and sales, we subsidize criminals, make pot easier for kids to access than either tobacco or alcohol, waste valuable police resources and billions of dollars annually, deprive ourselves of a source of valuable medicine and miss out on $3 billion in annual tax revenue.

For those keen on educating kids about drugs without all the fear-mongering, hyperbole, and hypocrisy of the standard "drug education" programs, I recommend Educators For Sensible Drug Policy website at Educators For Sensible Drug Policy (EFSDP).

Sincerely,

Russell Barth

Federal Medical Marijuana License Holder Ottawa

Pubdate: Tue, 21 Feb 2006
Source: Crowsnest Pass Promoter (CN AB)
Copyright: 2006 Crowsnest Pass Promoter
Details: MapInc
Author: Russell Barth

damn right! you tell'em!

i agree and the thing that really sux is that people that never tried pot will actually belive the news when they say stuff about someone killed someone or robbed them any true pothead or even casual smoker knows you don't have that kind of energy after tokeing you don't even want to go to the store let alone rob one damn...

Back
Top Bottom