Reading Trichomes

Tarkus

I have three plants in flower:

StrainBreederFlowering Time (as advertised)
Northern LightsNirvana7/9
White Widow x Big BudFemale7/8
Critical +Dinafem9/10

I'm approaching the end of nine weeks of flowering. I've been monitoring the trichomes over the past several weeks but haven't really noticed much progress. At the end of nine weeks they are still predominately clear. At the very least I would have expected the WW x BB, with a 7/8 flowering period, to be ready for harvest by now. But even the trichs on that one are still clear, although it looks like some of them no longer have the bulb shape at the tip. The plants otherwise appear to be very healthy. Well developed colas, healthy foliage, good nutrition (Advanced Nutrients), excellent lighting (Platinum LED), temperature & pH under control, etc. But I'm starting to get concerned about the slow progress. Is this out of the ordinary? Or, am I just being impatient? Thanks in advance

The mushroom tops on the trichomes are probably broken off from excessive handling Imo. Upload a few pics if possible

Thanks, Dutty. That's something I never considered. I use a cheap pocket microscope. To get a focused image, the base has to come in contact with the bud. I don't know of any way around that. Then you have to press against the bud to get a better view down inside. So, you're probably right. That helps.

Sorry, no trich pics. Don't have what I need for that close up.

Thanks for the reply.

Okay...seems like my concerns about the slow progress were unwarranted. Within a day or so after starting this thread the trichs started clouding up. I guess my lesson learned from this is to be more patient.

Anyway, at this point it looks like the trichs are about 70% cloudy 30% clear. No amber. But this is also the point where I could use a little guidance on when to start flushing. I've Googled the subject but haven't really found anything helpful. I figure the trichs will continue to mature throughout the flush phase until harvest. And of course the goal is to harvest at the point when the trichs are at their optimum. I figure it's all about timing. So I'm trying to get a better idea of what the indicators are that tell you when it's time to start flushing. I guess my question is...what do you look for in the trichs as far as the ratio between cloudy, clear, and amber? Should I start flushing now at about 70/30? Give them more time to cloud up? Wait until I see amber? What would you do if you were me?

Sorry for all the dumbass questions, but as you can probably tell I'm quite the newbie. Maybe after my experience getting through this grow, I'll actually be able to make an intelligent contribution to the forum.

BTW...the grow media is coco coir if that helps. Thanks.

I personally flush at the end of week seven no matter where the trichomes are at. I want my stuff to be nutrient free. So I flush earlier and way longer than house and garden recommends. I see no need to keep dumping more nutrients down there throat at that point. Saves money and equates to healthier smoke.

Yes having patients can be a bitch.

I personally flush at the end of week seven no matter where the trichomes are at. I want my stuff to be nutrient free. So I flush earlier and way longer than house and garden recommends. I see no need to keep dumping more nutrients down there throat at that point. Saves money and equates to healthier smoke.

Yes having patients can be a bitch.

Interesting. Seven weeks regardless. But that makes me wonder. Say you have plant that may require a flowering period of 10 or more weeks. If you cut off the nutrients at week seven, wouldn't that be counterproductive to the goal of maximizing potency? Seems you may be cutting off nutrients at a time that they could otherwise be beneficial for optimizing development. Am I wrong?

No your not. I only have 2 strains that require 10+ weeks yes I will hand feed those. I should of been more specific sorry.

My indica dominant ones I start at end of week 7 so all of week 8 all the way to 9 gets flushed.

So roughly 10-14 days I flush. House and garden calls for 3-5

Thanks Dutty. Week 10 is just now coming to an end. So I guess I better get my ass in gear and start flushing. Oddly though, one of my strains (the Northern Lights) is Indica dominant, but looks like it's lagging behind the other two. The trichs are clouding up but the hairs haven't turned red like the other two. I figure it must have something to do with the phenotype. But I'm not sure how to deal with it. :scratchinghead: Maybe I should just let it go for a little while longer?

Back
Top Bottom