Ready to harvest? Need an expert opinion

giezzi92

I'm having a lot of issues determining if my plant is ready for Harvest the hair turned brown about two weeks ago or more, and I don't know why.

I did experience pest (butterfly larvas) and nutrient burn so maybe it has something to do with that...

this strain is special Kush 1, on paper it flowers for 8 weeks mine has been flowering since about the 1st of September so should be done at the end of the month.

by the hairs it seems like it's ready to harvest but the buds are still kind of small and they have a lot of leaves sugar leaves unlike any other plant I had. i've never had so many leaves especially on the buds this late into flower. and also the buds look way too small IMO. (some buds are turning purple, but thats because of temps..

what should i do? harvest or wait? i haven't had any new white hair growth...

strain: special kush 1
medium: soil
nutes: terra canna nutes

im having a hard time judging from tricomes because ALL of the weed i have seems to have clear tricomes, even the one i harvested really late, so i think i just don't know how to tell the difference

Just a grower here - not an expert!

Hairs or pistil stigmas turning colors and/or receding can signal ripeness, they can also change because of insect sprays...

Nice plant! Pics look good, some genetics just have smaller buds or due to our mistakes they don’t reach their potential. Anyhow the scope pics are hard to see - but I’d say she is done. Several of the sta don’t have their heads, either they never developed or they popped. I see both cloudy and amber but no clear.

You are in the harvest window, you could take her right now and it would be great. You could let it run for a few days but I’m thinking she’s done for the most part. Even after the chop her trichs will continues to ripen

I’d say cut it when you are ready....

my 2 cents only - please consider other opinions!

Just a grower here - not an expert!

Nice plant! Pics look good, some genetics just have smaller buds or due to our mistakes they don’t reach their potential. Anyhow the scope pics are hard to see - but I’d say she is done. Several of the sta don’t have their heads, either they never developed or they popped. I see both cloudy and amber but no clear.

You are in the harvest window, you could take her right now and it would be great. You could let it run for a few days but I’m thinking she’s done for the most part. Even after the chop her trichs will continues to ripen

I’d say cut it when you are ready....

my 2 cents only - please consider other opinions!
i see thanks! do you think there is any reason why she is done flowering this early? in my experience it always takes longer.

any drawbacks of leaving it flowering for another week? (other than couchlock etc)

phenotypes... if you pulled 10 seeds from a bud and grew them out.... those seeds are not clones or identical... each of the 10 are unique and will produce different plants with different traits
oh ok, i'm just a bit sad because my last girl had buds so big they weigh 30grams or more each, and they looked much fuller. i hope this one will be at least 50g dry to get me through the winter.

i've already discussed the hair issue in another post but didn't really figure it out, what could cause hairs to turn red early? can nutrient burn or larvas have something to do with it?

also some of the sugar leaves on the buds are drying, does it mean the plant is dying? (it's only very few)

The plant doesn't look finished to me.

You want to look at the trichomes on the Calyx since thats what you're going to be smoking.

They calyx is the part of the plant those little hairs come out of that are turning amber.

Your pics as mentioned a lot of the trichome heads are knocked off. That happens when they are over ripe or are mechanically knocked off.

The trichomes on the calyx should be mushroom shaped. Those are the trichomes you want to look at with the scope.

Over the years with experience I use the shape of the calyx along with smell to be my main indicator for harvest. IF I have to take a sample and put it under the scope to see its usually too early. From looking at your pics it looks early to me.

Here's a pic of what the maturation process of the calyx looks like.

weeds-calyxes.jpg

The plant doesn't look finished to me.

You want to look at the trichomes on the Calyx since thats what you're going to be smoking.

They calyx is the part of the plant those little hairs come out of that are turning amber.

Your pics as mentioned a lot of the trichome heads are knocked off. That happens when they are over ripe or are mechanically knocked off.

The trichomes on the calyx should be mushroom shaped. Those are the trichomes you want to look at with the scope.

Over the years with experience I use the shape of the calyx along with smell to be my main indicator for harvest. IF I have to take a sample and put it under the scope to see its usually too early. From looking at your pics it looks early to me.

Here's a pic of what the maturation process of the calyx looks like.

weeds-calyxes.jpg

lots of good info thank you my friend!

still i don't understand why all of the hairs turned brown really early (1month into flower ish) even the ones that get no light, the bottom ones usually stay white unless a partial harvest is done...

the issue i have is that the microscope has a really small optic. so in order to see properly i need to take a piace off the plant and squash it with my fingers to make it flat. otherwise i cant focus properly because its impossible to focus on both high and low parts, idk if i explain myself properly.

any tips? im using a carson x60 x120 scope that was recommended on many sites for looking at tricomes

That explains the missing trichome heads then so its not late more early to me.

The calyx look pretty fat tho and that looks like a seed in there when I see that.

Big round fat calyx and shriveled pistols usually = seed.

Pick on off and see if there's a seed in there.

That explains the missing trichome heads then so its not late more early to me.

The calyx look pretty fat tho and that looks like a seed in there when I see that.

Big round fat calyx and shriveled pistols usually = seed.

Pick on off and see if there's a seed in there.
i ALWAYS get seeds with my plants, idk why. even if i don't stress them (this one was stressed so i'm not surprised)

but its not a lot, maybe for every 5 grams of weed i smoke i get 3 seeds, which i actually don't mind. free seeds (i know hermie seeds aren't as good but still, for experimenting)

actually, now that you say it, i will pick off a seed and see if it's mature. that should help to determine how far i am from harvest right?

No, thats a good explanation.... try it without squishing and just get different views, zoom in on one part then another...maybe... IDK?

yep if pollinated then that would explain a lot
its not pollinated by a male that's for sure. just a few hermie buds as usual.

and she has been stressed a lot so it's normal for this one. she took a looott of wind, 3 broken stems, nutrient burn, and pests....

lots of good info thank you my friend!

still i don't understand why all of the hairs turned brown really early (1month into flower ish) even the ones that get no light, the bottom ones usually stay white unless a partial harvest is done...

the issue i have is that the microscope has a really small optic. so in order to see properly i need to take a piace off the plant and squash it with my fingers to make it flat. otherwise i cant focus properly because its impossible to focus on both high and low parts, idk if i explain myself properly.

any tips? im using a carson x60 x120 scope that was recommended on many sites for looking at tricomes
I have one plant did this same thing and looked unfinished . This plant when cut to clone bleeds purple. Genetics must be causing the faster /early hair color change 70% or more

Back
Top Bottom