Real Deep Water Culture, Drip or Flow?

archie824

Just a clarifying question, I'm setting up a "Real Deep Water Culture" Grow for 5 plants,
30 gallons tub, water pump with hose running through the lid to a T splitter, run a loop around the T, then from the loop attach another line to the dripper.

I'm not sure how strong the pump should be running or if it should be a drip or a constant flow type of setup.

Here's a visual

LQuRPqP.png

The red is the dripper stalk.

Also, how many inches below the netted pots should the water be and do you have any recommendation as to which nute to use and how to portion it?

i run mine constant flow, start with net pots about 1-2 inches above the level so bubbles pop and wet bottom of pot.
once roots are exposed from bottom of pot lower the level .
nutrient choice is up to you mate IMHO theyre all relatively the same, though i prefer dutch master gold series.
get a ec stick or ppm meter to keep track of nutriet levels.
start with 1/4 strength and go from there mate :)

the correct term for this system is"recirculating DIRECT water culture"
the system applies to both deep and shallow set ups;)

so for the deep recirculating direct water culture :high-five:
would the root just be sitting in the water? I have 2 12" air stone bubbler thing connected to an air pump.
another question, for 5 plants in a 30gal container, would a 3x4 space be sufficient?
I'm planning on training and vegging the plant to be around 16" before flowering under a 6' tent. What do you think?

16 inches before stretch, you could run out of height in a 6 foot tent. Light hanging down, need space between plant tops and light, it will be close.

the roots will hang from the pot down into the water, the more air the better .
have you considered growing SCROG to control stretch and heights...gives you a nice even canopy ,no height issues and plenty of good bud.

Hey, another question. I Just read that the rockwool cube aren't supposed to be saturated with water. If there's a constant flow of water+nutes wouldn't that be bad for the plant inside the rockwool?

Hey, another question. I Just read that the rockwool cube aren't supposed to be saturated with water. If there's a constant flow of water+nutes wouldn't that be bad for the plant inside the rockwool?

i start my seeds in 2 inch rockwool cubes and once roots appear i transplant into my DWC clay balls the rockwool cube is later destroyed by the growth of the stem ;)
now if you are using rockwool as your medium in the net pots because you are supplying highly oxygenated water/nute solution you do not need to stress about the medium being consistantly wet, DWC defies all normal tradional methods for growing cannabis IE: soil grown plants must not be kept wet,DWC grown plants live in water!!!

i start my seeds in 2 inch rockwool cubes and once roots appear i transplant into my DWC clay balls the rockwool cube is later destroyed by the growth of the stem ;)
now if you are using rockwool as your medium in the net pots because you are supplying highly oxygenated water/nute solution you do not need to stress about the medium being consistantly wet, DWC defies all normal tradional methods for growing cannabis IE: soil grown plants must not be kept wet,DWC grown plants live in water!!!

my seeds are in 1" rockwool cubes and I'm planning on putting the entire cube in the hydroton in the net pot once some leaves shows then when some roots shows I turn on the deep recirculating direct water culture at 1/4th nute strength with LED lights about 12" from the plant
how does that sound?

my seeds are in 1" rockwool cubes and i'm planning on putting the entire cube in the hydroton in the net pot once some leaves shows then when some roots shows i turn on the deep recirculating direct water culture at 1/4th nute strength with led lights about 12" from the plant
how does that sound?

perfect!!:)

Are you sure? The recirculating system is sending constant stream of water to the Rockwool right now... Its completely saturated with water. Dripping wet.

as long as you have plenty of oxygen in the water it will love it :)....i like to put my water outlet between the edge of the net pot and the edge of the rock wool ,it A: only run off from the hydroton makes it to the rockwool thus the rock wool only absorbs what it can uptake via capillary action and not drenched (though it doesnt really matter with this sysytem) and B:it entices the roots to head towards the edge of the pot quicker.:)

Back
Top Bottom