Real Granddaddy Purple? Whats the deal with this "Kens" version?

Hey everyone...

I have been seeking hard to find a source of GDP (Granddaddy Purple) and all that seems to come up is this "Kens grandaddy purple".

I have searched the net far and wide to find out if these are the real deal GDP genetics or some whored out version and from what I found, Kens GDP is not the real GDP from Norcal with that classic taste and smell, but more of a BX or BX2. The source of where I found out that Ken's is not the "real" GDP was on a different forum that is known to have a lot of old timers and breeders on it, and other than that, I haven't found any information.

The GDP I am looking for is that strain from Norcal that has the classic GDP taste and smell. The nugs are mostly green with VERY LITTLE purple color and it seems that "kens version" is very purple from others that have grown it around the web.

Does anyone know the truth to the real Norcal GDP (i think it used to also be called something like purple monkey balls or something like that)???

Also, does anyone know of a seedbank or Southern Cali Clone dispensary that has a true Norcal GDP?

I've already got clones from 2 places claiming to be GDP, one turned out to be a mystery plant with no purple traits, and the other turned out to be a dark purple cookies variety, but not GDP....

I love GDP, the high, the smell, the taste, everything about it and would love to have it in my garden, but seems that I can't find it anywhere, and all the seed banks only carry "kens GDP" which I don't think is the oe that I am familiar with...

Anyone have clarity to this?

re: Real Granddaddy Purple? Whats the deal with this "Kens" version?

Im in the same boat as you but the GDP im familiar with was purple to the stem, thick fat buds with very little hairs. It had a cotton candy, bubblegum flavor to it. Ive read many different things about ken, some good, some bad. It hard to get a straight awnser simetimes, so i took the plunge and ordered kens original grand daddy purple, out of 5 seeds i have 1 that survived, i dont know if its male or female yet but will be putting into flower in a week. It will be in my journal, feel free to stop by. Good luck with your search!

re: Real Granddaddy Purple? Whats the deal with this "Kens" version?

Im in the same boat as you but the GDP im familiar with was purple to the stem, thick fat buds with very little hairs. It had a cotton candy, bubblegum flavor to it. Ive read many different things about ken, some good, some bad. It hard to get a straight awnser simetimes, so i took the plunge and ordered kens original grand daddy purple, out of 5 seeds i have 1 that survived, i dont know if its male or female yet but will be putting into flower in a week. It will be in my journal, feel free to stop by. Good luck with your search!

I will definitely subscribe... appreciate the invite and very curious to see how it turns out. I've come across the same thing where some people say that kens is the real deal, and some that say that it is not. Some like it better, some dont. All I know is I want to find out if in fact Kens is the real deal I remember, and if not, where to find the real deal seeds or clones or at least more info on where to look.

I did find a photo that looks exactly what I remember GDP looking like while searching google, and its from Cola Monster's entry in 2012 contest here at 420 magazine. I PM'd him so hopefully he will fill me in with the details of what cut he has and maybe can lead me in the right direction.

420 Magazine's Nug of the Month - December 2012

I definitely will subscribe to your journal, cant wait to see how the kens does...

You pretty much nailed the flavor, I was thinking to my self trying to come up with words that would describe it and you hit it on the head.... cotton candy, bubblegum with maybe a hint of grape or dark berry too.

I personally think that the Kens version is different than I remember, because they say Ken introduced it to the scene in 2003, but I remember back in 2001 having some that a friend brought from AZ to chicago at the time so maybe ken feminized it? who knows...lol

Im not an expert or 100% sure but from what I know Ken Estees is the original breeder of GDP, I grow out his Purple Dream which is suposed to be a cross of the gdp and a blue dream.
I have wondered as years ago we got some GDP from a so cal shop and it wasn't purple but the pic online is so purple looking it looks photo shopped or something.

I have a few promos of stuff from Ken and they're all regular and the seeds are HUGE.
I Hope you find the exact strain your looking for Ice and good to meet Ya!
Swing by my purple dream journal if you get a few.

Im not an expert or 100% sure but from what I know Ken Estees is the original breeder of GDP, I grow out his Purple Dream which is suposed to be a cross of the gdp and a blue dream.
I have wondered as years ago we got some GDP from a so cal shop and it wasn't purple but the pic online is so purple looking it looks photo shopped or something.

I have a few promos of stuff from Ken and they're all regular and the seeds are HUGE.
I Hope you find the exact strain your looking for Ice and good to meet Ya!
Swing by my purple dream journal if you get a few.

Hey Hizzy, Thanks for responding :)

Yea that was the major thing that caught my eye, when I looked at the "kens" version, the photos showed very purple buds, like you said almost photoshopped purple, and the GDP that I have had quite a few times was mostly green with hints of a lavender purple. That actually is what made me curious in the beginning and started my quest for the real deal.

I'm still hopeful that I will be able to get a cut sometime, but may even try getting some of Kens just to judge for myself. who knows, I may even like it more :)

appreciate your reply and I definitely appreciate the invite to your grow :)

Could your GDP have been an awesome phenotype of kens?

I don't think so, because the GDP I had (well the 1st time) was back in 2001, and Ken supposedly released his in 2003, so either I had gotten his unreleased version, or a different version.

Also, the photos I see of Kens version are very purple and don't have the same bud structure that I remember seeing. I may just have to bite the bullet, order some and see for myself.

Back
Top Bottom