Recent Studies Done By Scientists Of Birmingham Epilepsy Center Revealed

Katelyn Baker

A series of trials on marijuana to treat epilepsy is conducted by the Birmingham Epilepsy Center revealed that Cannabidiol (CBD), purified from Cannabis plant or commonly known marijuana, has high beneficial effects in the treatment of epileptic patients. The study revealed that oral administration of CBD oil caused a significant reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures in adult and pediatric patients.

Marijuana Against Epilepsy

Epilepsy is a severe neurological condition. The frequency of the seizures is the most important factor that determines the severity of the disease. Many rare forms of epilepsy viz Dravet Syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome do not respond well to the conventional treatment methods.

A group of scientists from the Birmingham Epilepsy Center collaborated with the Massachusetts General Hospital and "Children's of Alabama" to test the potential of marijuana epilepsy medication. The studies encompassed oral administration of purified CBD oil, manufactured by the GW Pharmaceuticals. The oil was extracted as per the FDA regulation and it had negligible amounts of THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana, which is responsible to make people "high," reports Science Daily.

Medical Marijuana Benefits Epileptic Patients

The marijuana epilepsy research trials included oral administration CBD oil in study group and placebo in the control group of epileptic patients. The results showed that the pediatric group recorded 39 percent reduction in number and frequency of seizures as opposed to 13 percent reduction in the placebo control group.

Furthermore, another study conducted on a group of epileptic patients consisting of both adult and children. It recorded 44 percent decrease in the frequency of seizures as compared to 22 percent in the placebo control group, reports Live Science.

However, in some cases, the patients experienced side effects such as drowsiness, diahorrea, fever and vomiting, which were linked to the possible interaction of marijuana with other administered medications such as clobazam. "The CBD medicine is not a silver nullet, but there are children who benefit from this more than thay have from other treatments," said Dr. Elizabeth Thiele, Director Pediatric Epilepsy Program, The Massachusetts General Hospital.

The GW Pharmaceutical Company manufactured the new medical marijuana formulation, called Epidiolex and funded the entire research program. The drug is yet to be approved by the FDA, only after which it may available for sale and public usage.

medical-marijuana31.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Can Cure Epilepsy - Recent Studies Done By Scientists Of Birmingham Epilepsy Center Revealed
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: None Found

so still trying to find my way around on this site. I am sure I will get there... any ways what is with the purple on my stem and my center leaves. did I burn them I am using a 300 watt full spectrum led light.. grow tent is 2ft deep 4ft long and 5ft high is this to much light for this tent.. or do I need to go to my 8ft by four ft. by 4ft tent thanks for any help I can get. I have 3 white widow plants.
they are small 5in.high with 3 sets of leaves I try to keep the temp. at 75 to 81 degrees. also gets 6 hours of dark a day.
one day I went out for a bit when I came home the temp was at 86 degrees dose this have anything to do with the purple or do I need to start all over. sure hope not they are 17days old and look ok

Probably pre stages of nitrogen deficiency. Maybe time to start nutrients? That temp change isn't a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

thanks for that infor. I was thinking of the ph I have been reading about. think I well do the nutrients. they look so healthy. I beat my first
3 to death by over feeding and watering. I want to get this right this time will take some pic.as soon as I learn how to get them on here
rodger

Back
Top Bottom