Recently Raided Lake Orion Medical Marijuana Grower Dies

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Sal Agro, the Lake Orion man who spoke out about police last week after an Aug. 25 medical marijuana raid at him home, died Thursday.

His death was caused by a heart attack, family members said. He had recently had hip surgery. He was 67.

After the raids, Agro, a retired GM worker and beloved Lake Orion sports coach, walked through areas of his home to show where police had torn apart beds and clothing, looking for marijuana, he said.

Several marijuana plants he had been growing in a basement bedroom had been torn out and confiscated by police.

“They had ski masks on and acted like the Gestapo,” he had said.

Agro said his sons Nick and Tony Agro ran the Clinical Relief, at 362 Hilton, in Ferndale. His wife, Barb, was interviewed at the clinic.

Sal Agro said both he and his wife had state-issued cards that allow them to have marijuana plants.

The Agros’ son Tony was arrested in Ferndale during the raid.

Sal Agro said his family had run the Ferndale clinic professionally and had invited government officials to tour the operation.

“They said our clinic is the benchmark,” he said Aug. 26.

Cecelia Vellucci of Lake Orion said she knew Agro for nearly 40 years.

“He was very caring for children,” she said. “He was always there first to guide and train them.”

Vellucci said her five sons went to school with the Agros’ sons.

“He was very friendly, kidding and joking,” she said. “He wasn’t afraid to speak up.”

A Facebook posting at 2:45 p.m. Thursday spoke about Agro’s sports background.

“Lake Orion suffered a devastating loss this early afternoon. Our hearts go out the Agro family and the passing of Sal Agro after complications following his recent hip replacement surgery. RIP Coach!”

Jennifer Chapdelaine wrote, “Sal was the best coach I’ve ever had and my favorite! He will be missed greatly!”

John F. Carson wrote, “Maril and I have suffered a great loss. Sal was both friend and family. We will miss you, Sal. Our loss is God’s gift ... heaven will never be the same.”

Mr. Agro was born on Jan. 30, 1943 in Buffalo, N.Y. to Carmela and Michael Agro. He was in the U.S. Air Force for four years, his family said, and moved to Michigan in the mid-1960s because he was stationed at Selfridge Air Force Base in Harrison Township. He married Barbara Weaver in 1965. The couple has three children, Michael (Cherie) of Colorado, Anthony (Dianne) of Troy and Nicholas (Jennifer) of Lake Orion. He is also survived by his grandchildren Kara, Amber, Joseph, AnnaGrace, Carson, Addison, and many nieces and nephews.

Visitation will be at Sparks Griffin Funeral Home in Lake Orion and details of services are pending.

• Thanks to free2blaze for submitting this article

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: theoaklandpress.com
Author: Carol Hopkins
Copyright: 2010 The Oakland Press
Website: Recently raided Lake Orion medical marijuana grower dies - The Oakland Press News: The best place for news in and around Oakland County

I met Sal once. He was a gentleman, and said to me "we're not peddling pot, we're really trying to help people".

What the Sheriff did was un-called for. This is nothing more then grandstanding by a loser who didn't win the primary for governor.

It's clear the real dangers of marijuana are the prohibition. You have cops running around with guns, drug dealers with guns. While the people who use marijuana are peaceful, individuals, who use responsibly.

Take your guns, take your drug money from the big pharmaceuticals, and big government, and stick 'em straight up... well I shouldn't say. Government, the police, and the pharmaceutical companies are the real criminals in this whole mess. Where's the raids on them?

End prohibition now!!!

Back
Top Bottom