Recirculating air rather than intake/exhaust

cryodude

Howdy all. Another question for the project i will soon be embarking on. i think that in my indoor grow, i will have good control on temp/rh and was wondering if it makes sense to use a an exhaust/w carbon filter that will pullback around and blow back into the room. I will be running CO2. released above lights and the exhaust would be located center/top and come back on the side just below the lights. this make sense? i want to limit the new air that comes into the room.

Limiting new air into the grow area would increase the relative humidity in my opinion. Usually, the outside air will be lower RH than in your grow area, since the plants are pushing water vapor out.

For veg grow, this wouldn't be a problem, with flowering, you want lower RH. do you know what your average RH is in your area?

Prairie

Well the Rh in the area is 45-55%. indoors its run on ac-summer and ch winter. this is just questions i am asking ahead of time. its probably still a couple months out to start. will monitor then. thanks

What you are talking about is running sealed and YES, if you can manage your temps/humidity and supplement the co2 properly the results are incredible.

If you are running 1500ppm co2 you want to bring your temps up to 85f. Humidity control can be a real issue in a small space. It's very easy to create a toxic environment if you don't keep everything in check.

Once you get it dialed in you can get very predictable, repeatable results that are quite spectacular.

Thanks Budly! so you could conceivably full air in from the room, which will be enclosed ac circulation, and then have the carbon filter and fan assembly in the box reblowing back inside the grow area? making sure i haven't confused myself here.

Thanks,

cryo

yes, just a fan with a filter inside the enclosure.

there's a lot more to running a sealed room, rying it out on your first venture is daring.

Sir Budly, yeah it might be a bit ambitious, but i have time to plan, and really look at the variables still. So it could change, but what i can't do, is cut a hole in the ceiling to vent air out as i draw new air in, at least not to begin with so i have to figure the best way to work within that enclosed space, which will be in an enclosed space except when that door to the room is open , which isn't going to be very often I'm afraid at first.

That's correct. In my situation I have a window AC mounted in the box like it's intended: Hot coil outside, cold in! It just recircilates the air in the box. There is no exchange with the outside air unless the door is open. Co2 is injected from a 20# bottle which is connected to a controller. My temp, humidity, light cycle is all controlled by a central industrial control board. This round I am not using an internal scrubber but last round I had a 8" vortex fan with a 24" long carbon filter attached hanging in there.

I see little to no difference without it inside.

I would like to ad that this system has evolved over a 30 month period. Trying to jump into a completely climate controlled sealed box can be quite a challange.

I would say the thing that f'd me up the most was the RH/Water vapor/Warm soil issue that you have to learn to control. In my case I was simply hitting them with too much light and then trying to fix it with fertilizer or an additive.

Once I swore off the quick fixes, I really figured out the real issues.

Ah, ok, well i think i am doing hydro first couple of grows, continuos flow, i think it will be easier to deal with than soil to start with. At least that's been my perception reading all these different grow threads. I'd say I would do a couple singles in tents too in soil, but i won't have enough lights for it all to start with, will be a couple of trips around the block first. and a question on the controller. I haven't looked at that stuff yet. But i need to monitor, temp in the box, RH, ppm nutes, ec and water temp. Is that all done or doable with a single controller. Hell, i need to go research that now as well.

yes, you can get an all in one or seperate units. You can also use the thermostats and dehumidistats on the individual pieces of equipment. In my case the lowest setting on my AC yields 72f. If I want 80+ I have to contol it externally or recalibrate the tstat which I have come to learn is quite easy.

that's why i encourage you to just grab the basics and go. you'll figure out what you need as you go. That way you buy what YOU need to fit YOUR emerging style of cultivating. but hey I guess that's just my style of getting into this hobby!

Howdy all. Another question for the project i will soon be embarking on. i think that in my indoor grow, i will have good control on temp/rh and was wondering if it makes sense to use a an exhaust/w carbon filter that will pullback around and blow back into the room. I will be running CO2. released above lights and the exhaust would be located center/top and come back on the side just below the lights. this make sense? i want to limit the new air that comes into the room.

Nice work. I think it makes sense. I've tried it and it was effective. Next time I will use I will recirculate the air. Thanks for your idea. :D

Hi All,

So I'm also building an enclosed grow space with hydroponics, questions are:

1) Are there any other gasses in the air besides O2 and Co2 that the plant will need in a recirculating system?

2) Would it be best to evacuate the daytime enriched Co2 air with fresh air when crossing over to the night cycle? (Not exactly completely closed off but I wanted redundancy is anything such as the AC were to fail.)

3) Running an oxygen generator into the hydro tubs through a diffuser stone in conjunction with the regular air pump and stone. Has anyone heard of someone adding O2 to the water and what effects has it had?

Fresh air is clean. Plants don’t like breathing farts either

Back
Top Bottom