Red woody stems, slow growth

I've been having this problem as well. I use a three stage tall boy filter, but I let my filters get old. Changed my filters last week after Lexalotacus' post. I'm glad to report that my ladies show more vigor and are growing faster again. New growth shows the purple fading into green, and the shoots are flexible again. I'm not sure what is in Denver's water that could be causing this, but I suspect it's too much chlorine. Thanks Lexalotacus.

Hey again, I just got a water testing kit from home depot that test overall hardness of water and mine was just above acceptable levels. However, if my water is like 120 ppm out of the tap that shouldn't be enough to cause calcium to lock out phosphorus? This whole thing is so frustrating
Try cal mag supplement you become very deficient very quickly with rapid growing plants. 120 ppm is great water just be sure to let the chlorine gas off for 24hr before watering. Balance pH to 5.8-6.2. No cal mag no nutrient uptake. Major slow of growth. Fan leave show simptoms first

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

First question: Are you testing the PH of your run off? Very important to measure your ph before you add or change anything.

Most common answer to PH fluctuations:
Instead of cal/mag liquid. Try dolomite. It's cal mag pellets that you can top coat with. It will stabilize your ph to 6.5 every time you water. This unfortunately will not work well with coco as coco likes a 5.5 ph range. But Dolomite is your answer. One half-handful of pellets will treat your soil for 3 months.
Forget about $35.00 cal-mag supplements that you have to add all the time. Dolomitic lime pellets are $10 for a kilo and a box will last years. It's what pro soil growers use.

420-magazine-mobile533529273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

After a lot of testing and patience I'm leaning towards magnesium deficiency. I'm not POSITIVE but I've been foliar feeding with a diluted mix of nutes and cal mag and Im getting MOSTLY green stems now. I've been trying to keep my feeding about 200ppm of cal mag and the rest base nutes. My tap water is like 140 out of the filter so I add cal mag until 350 or so and base nutes to 7-900ppm and they have been pretty stoked about it. I also think temperature swings between night/day can exacerbate this although im not sure. When I started foliar feeding and raising my overall ppm I also switched to 24/7 light cycle so its hard to say which one helped (cal/mag, foliar, increased ppms, increased stable temps, etc). Just more info for you guys to consider..

After a lot of testing and patience I'm leaning towards magnesium deficiency. I'm not POSITIVE but I've been foliar feeding with a diluted mix of nutes and cal mag and Im getting MOSTLY green stems now. I've been trying to keep my feeding about 200ppm of cal mag and the rest base nutes. My tap water is like 140 out of the filter so I add cal mag until 350 or so and base nutes to 7-900ppm and they have been pretty stoked about it. I also think temperature swings between night/day can exacerbate this although im not sure. When I started foliar feeding and raising my overall ppm I also switched to 24/7 light cycle so its hard to say which one helped (cal/mag, foliar, increased ppms, increased stable temps, etc). Just more info for you guys to consider..

What's the ph of your runoff?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

My buddy's been having the same (woody/purplish stems)issues in his grows.I am thinking it's because he uses hot water in conjunction of cold tap water in his rez.I 've heard of calcium build up in hot water tanks if not flushed every so often.Could this be locking up his phosphorus in his plants???

I recognize those leaves from classic Phosphorus deficiency. Not sure how the thread veered toward Adding Cal Mag when original the discussion was Calcium causing Phosphorus Lockout? I am wondering if using CoCo specific Nutrients could cause P lockout even though the extra calcium is supposed to balance the cations or what ever...

Bet you have seen this post a million times. Well the net is full of info on this condition. Problem is that it mostly does not apply for my specific problem. If I grow in coco it happens. If I grow in soil it eventually happens. If I clone in rockwool it will happen. The problem is red/purple woody stems with slow growth. I don't know if the small leaves are part of this problem or another problem all together. Temps are 75-77 in the day, 69-70 at night. Nutes don't seem to matter. Heavy 16 on first grow did it. Soul synthetics.. Same problem. Nectar for the Gods does it to a lesser extent but still red stems. Soil will at first produce nice healthy green ridged stems that after about three weeks to a month will start to stripe with red and the stems will start to smooth out and loose those ridges that to me seem indicative of a fast growing healthy plant. It may be my tap water. It is at 90ppm. That doesn't seem high to me but I'm running out of options. Always use to pH at around 5.8 in coco but I'm upping that to about 6.2 as I transition to the nectar line as that is what it calls for. Using 144x3 topled reflector series. Humidity was around 40 until I just installed a humidifier to put it up around 60%. Genetics are the church, blue kush, Frisian dew and a few others. They all do it so it's not genetics. I've heard phosphorous but the nectar line is full of it. When I try and clone with this condition it rarely is successful. Running out of ideas. Anyone run into this problem and solve it? Thanks in advance for any help. The first picture is what I originally get in soil the second is advanced stage in coco and the third is the condition starting after about 3 weeks in soil.
IMG_20150208_132216037.jpg
IMG_20150208_132022061.jpg
IMG_20150208_131521870.jpg
My plant has grown from seed with red stems. Guicy Banger the guice x mint chocolate chip

Bet you have seen this post a million times. Well the net is full of info on this condition. Problem is that it mostly does not apply for my specific problem. If I grow in coco it happens. If I grow in soil it eventually happens. If I clone in rockwool it will happen. The problem is red/purple woody stems with slow growth. I don't know if the small leaves are part of this problem or another problem all together. Temps are 75-77 in the day, 69-70 at night. Nutes don't seem to matter. Heavy 16 on first grow did it. Soul synthetics.. Same problem. Nectar for the Gods does it to a lesser extent but still red stems. Soil will at first produce nice healthy green ridged stems that after about three weeks to a month will start to stripe with red and the stems will start to smooth out and loose those ridges that to me seem indicative of a fast growing healthy plant. It may be my tap water. It is at 90ppm. That doesn't seem high to me but I'm running out of options. Always use to pH at around 5.8 in coco but I'm upping that to about 6.2 as I transition to the nectar line as that is what it calls for. Using 144x3 topled reflector series. Humidity was around 40 until I just installed a humidifier to put it up around 60%. Genetics are the church, blue kush, Frisian dew and a few others. They all do it so it's not genetics. I've heard phosphorous but the nectar line is full of it. When I try and clone with this condition it rarely is successful. Running out of ideas. Anyone run into this problem and solve it? Thanks in advance for any help. The first picture is what I originally get in soil the second is advanced stage in coco and the third is the condition starting after about 3 weeks in soil.
IMG_20150208_132216037.jpg
IMG_20150208_132022061.jpg
IMG_20150208_131521870.jpg
Hard to tell because lack of nitrogen can cause red stems as well as phos can

Back
Top Bottom