Refers Random Bagseed-First Grow Ever-2009

DAY 19

Ok so... The cable for my camera does not work. I'll try to figure something out asap. For now I guess I'll just keep using my phone. The set up was a little more difficult than I thought it would be, but its done! Is just a bunch of cardboard boxes all duct taped together. On the inside walls I taped up some kind of emergency blanket that seems like it should work. I'm using 3 gallon pots with FF OF. The 1.5cf bag actuall filled (4) 3 gallon pots with some to spare. I added 1 sandwich baggy of perlite through out all of them. I have a small 6" fan inside to keep the temp under control. Its staying around 88F. I'll do some venting to lower it a little. The humidity is hovering around 50% or so. Not sure if those numbers are good. The Ph of the run off water is about 7.4 should I try to lower it at all or just wait a few days and see what its at? and anyone got some cheap ways to lower and raise Ph? Also, I have the lights hanging about 7" over them. They actually put out alot more heat than I thought they would. Now I have a list of questions...

What cheap ways to raise and lower Ph?

How far away the 100W daylights should be? 2 per plant

When should I start nutes? I transplanted last night. and I have FF big bloom and FF grow big.

And do I need any other nutes/ferts?

If anyone could help me out with these questions I think I should be all set for a while. Thanks in advance for any information you guys might have. Now for pictures....

0609092145.jpg

0609092145a.jpg

I'll name them Later but for now this is #1
060909.JPG

060909214.jpg

0609092146.jpg

Runt
0609092146a.jpg

Alright, so what you guys think? I'm happy with this set up, I'm sure it will work out. Now #1 and #2 seem to be doing just fine but #3 still has that weird leaf on it. Think it will fix itself or what? And I have no idea why the runt is so small but it seems to be doing alight. All of them were rootbound when I transplanted them so I couldent really get all of the MG off the roots. There actually was alot still stuck to the roots. Think that they should be ok? I dident wanna damage them trying to get the MG off. Now just about all the leafs have a little bit of yellowing on the edges but I'm hoping the new soil will help fix that. Alright so thats it for now. -Later

Thanks guys.
Actually last night I moved the lights to about 3" above. But its getting a little hot in there. Temp is staying around 92 or so. Think thats to high? and now the humidity is staying around 35-40. That seems to low but I'm not sure. Now would anyone be able to tell me how much to water these? I always feel like I'm over watering. I know to water when the soil is dry through the top 2" or so but how much water should I add? And I have read that you should use water that has sat a few days, is this true or could I use water straight from the tap? I have heard mixed reviews about this.

Oh yeah, by the way. I'm really trying to figure out how to work the ph here. My water right from the tap reads 8.5 and after it sits for a few days it seems to go up to around 8.8. I don't know what the deal with that is. What ph should the water be at when watering? I tried experimenting with milk and baking soda and straight milk read 7.5. and water with alot of baking soda was around 8.2. Can anyone make some sence outta this for me?

you let the water sit so the clorene...clorine...umm that stuff will evaporate. Check the run off PH...PH should be around 6.3 for soil. But I am no expert, havn't grown in years.

you let the water sit so the clorene...clorine...umm that stuff will evaporate. Check the run off PH...PH should be around 6.3 for soil. But I am no expert, havn't grown in years.

Yeah I think your right about the chlorine or what ever evaporating. I plan on watering tomorrow so I will check the run off for sure. I just wanna make sure the water I'm putting in is at a good Ph level also. I'm wondering if I could add like lemon juice or grapefruit juice to raise the acidity a little bit. Anyone reading this ever do something like that before?

Hey everyone

I could really use some help with a few things here. I need to water today and I think I have some ph issues with my water source. I experimented with mixing lemon juice to the water the to raise the ph and it worked but I'm not sure if thats a good idea here. Also, I wanted to start nutes today as well but I transplanted a few days ago and am not sure if its safe to start yet. I could use some of you experts advice. I'll be posting some pictures a little later. -See ya

my leafs are turning yellow!!!

alright, so my computer is messed up. right now i'musing my pocket pc and its a pain in the ass to type and i cannot post pictures. but for
an update, everything seems to be going good. they took the transplant well and are looking healthy with a nice even dark green . except for 2 of them. their bottom 2 first leafs are turning yellow. is this normal or what? thats the only problem i see as of now. please let me know if you have any info on this. thanks

so my computer is still not working which means no pictures for a little while.
anyway, i tested the run off water and the ph was about 7.1-7.3 between the 4 of them.

still wondering if using something like lemon juice would work or not.

and i transplanted 5 days ago, is it safe to start nutes yet? i would like to know before i water next. any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

What kind of water are you using? I would go ahead and get ya a bottle of ph up and down from you hydro store. It's more accurate and reliable. ;-) I would get that before you start nutes. That way, you will have complete control.

The chlorine will eventually evaporate off however the chloramines will not and they're just as nasty. Contact your local water utility to find out if it is present, might even be available online on their website in a published water quality report.

Chlorine Chemistry Division : Water Disinfection: Evaluating Alternative Methods In Light of Heightened Security Concerns

Chloramines are chemical compounds formed in the water by combining chlorine in a specific ratio with ammonia.

... (note the chart specifying what size water systems tend to use what disinfectants)

Chloramines

ADVANTAGES:
- Reduced formation of THMs, HAAs
- More stable residual than chlorine
- Excellent secondary disinfectant

DISADVANTAGES:
- Weaker disinfectant than chlorine
- Requires shipments and use of ammonia gas or compounds
- Toxic for kidney dialysis patients and tropical fish

Most people don't even realize that chloramines exist in drinking water as back in "the day" they were quite rare and chlorine was the main issue which readily evaporated...not so now with chloramines being more wide-spread.

Refers, I'm having a slight pH problem right now too but you can use lemon juice (or lime juice or vinegar) to temporarily adjust the pH down. I am still doing some reading on effective methods of adjusting soil/water pH but Ms. Fox also recommended the same thing to me. The problem with lime/lemon juice is that it does not contain any buffers and therefore can cause fluctuations in pH which can be just as bad for the plants. It will work in an emergency though but I'm going to take Ms. Fox's advice and try to scrounge up some more money for pH Down.

Thank you Ms.Fox and Lil Neutrino. that was all great information. i will get that ph up and down for sure as soon as i can.

and i am just using tap water that i let sit open for a few days. water starts off close to 9 ph, and run off is about 7.2

i am worried about the 2 plants with the 2 very bottom leafs turning yellow. could this be from the higher 7.2 ph?

the temp is around 84 and humidity is around 40%. if that helps diagnose any problems.

i will have pictures up asap.

Back
Top Bottom