Reflective paint vs mylar

canadian1969

I have heard that Mylar can reflect up to 98% of available light, but is a pain in the a$$ to deal with. Anyone tried reflective (metallic) paints. I have seen allot of people using matte white paint and white poly, which seem cheap and somewhat effective. Heard tin foil is BAD. What other reflective surface materials people use, if any?

Reason for asking as doing a silver spray paint job in my cabinet would be SOOOO much easier than Mylar or poly. Just wondering if it would be any more effective than just painting it white.

Mylar= 90-95%
Flat White paint= 75-80%
Gloss White paint= 70-75%
Yellow paint= 65-70%
Aluminium foil= 60-65%
Black/Other= <10%

Taken from "How to Hydroponics" 4th edition.

Still wondering if metallic paint would fall in between flat white and Mylar.

A cheap and easy alternative to mylar are the windshield reflectors for cars. They cost $1-3 dollars at walmart and you can just staple them to the walls. I use this in two cabs and it seems to be working great.

Yes, I think those actually are Mylar coated to some sort of board or insulation. Problem is I have a cabinet and I would have to cut to fit Mylar or anything Mylar coated, besides, Mylar is cheap whereas the car windshield reflectors would be much more expensive per Sq Foot. Not a bad idea, but not an economical one. Similarly you can get rolls of Mylar coated insulation (about a 1/4" thick) in various widths and lengths that would be a very similar solution to your suggestion (Reflectix is one brand).

I am going to give metallic spray paint a go and see if I can measure the results, I doubt it could be worse than just white paint and I doubt it would create hot spots. Moreover it would be cheaper and faster. I'll post back if I am able to make a comparison with a light meter or something.

you could be right about the pricing canadian, My space is only 3x2x6 so I didn't need much. It could get more expensive if you have a bigger room.

My money is on titanium white paint. You can also get that stuff at lowes that is like silver bubble wrap (reflectix?). Seems to be highly reflective, adds a layer of insulation, very durable and re-usable.

Flat white paint is my choice. Mylar's reflectivity degrades quickly and cannot be effectively cleaned without reducing it's reflectivity. Mylar is expensive in comparison to paint.

Flat white paint is my choice. Mylar's reflectivity degrades quickly and cannot be effectively cleaned without reducing it's reflectivity. Mylar is expensive in comparison to paint.

ditto....

richRD LIQUOR I have a space the same size u do i need some ideas how to set up can u post some pictures of ur grow room...this how it is right now is in in my closet in da back im goona put a plywood n a door...

Photo_3310.jpg
Photo_3210.jpg
Photo_3110.jpg

I'm a big fan of flat white paint, another guy I know used reflective paint from hi-way signs
only caused he worked with it, otherwise it's to expensive

peace
"V"

Back
Top Bottom