Remove sucker buds?

randall1966

These White Widow are 4 wks in flower, thinking of removing scrog, and getting to these sucker buds, some of them are on thin stems, should I just pick bud or whole stem?

Attachments

• IMG_20180706_195243.jpg
    IMG_20180706_195243.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_20180706_194932.jpg
    IMG_20180706_194932.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 316
You mean lollypopping? Lots of people do that to get bigger main buds. Just trim all the small buds from the bottom third. If you've got a scrog most of the stuff below can get removed (keep any big buds you want though). I take off the whole stem typically, unless there's a top bud I wanna keep but small lower flowers I want gone (like your first pic) I'll just pinch out the flowers I don't want and keep the stem for the main bud.

thinking of removing scrog

If you're giving up on SCROG, then use your own judgment; you'd be the best judge of whether or not those lower areas will be able to get sufficient light (and whether or not their possible contribution to the harvest will be enough to offset the portion of the plant's resources that don't end up going towards the upper buds which are closer to the light).

If, OtOH, you're planning to continue with the SCROG method, well... The whole goal of SCROG is to end up with a full, even canopy - which means that (assuming that goal is met), before harvest time arrives, the lower regions will not have sufficient light to support (useful) growth. Additionally, removing the lower growth generally aids the plant in producing the upper growth that, again, is the point of SCROG - and should be done more or less as it occurs (as opposed to waiting until you have any real amount of it).

Now, the above are generalizations. And - without trying to be mean here - that doesn't look to be an especially full "screen" at this point. How many days into flowering are your plants? The stretch is (normally) the first 40% of the flowering period. Some of that stretch will allow you to continue filling the screen, but you'll want to have it full in time for you to stop training and allow things to grow upwards through/past the screen before the stretch finishes. Then the stretch ends, the buds fill in... and (hopefully) you can end up with a nice canopy of buds that is thick enough that you can't read the newspaper by the little amount of light that makes it through to the bottom. Er... in theory (YMMV).

If you're giving up on SCROG, then use your own judgment; you'd be the best judge of whether or not those lower areas will be able to get sufficient light (and whether or not their possible contribution to the harvest will be enough to offset the portion of the plant's resources that don't end up going towards the upper buds which are closer to the light).

If, OtOH, you're planning to continue with the SCROG method, well... The whole goal of SCROG is to end up with a full, even canopy - which means that (assuming that goal is met), before harvest time arrives, the lower regions will not have sufficient light to support (useful) growth. Additionally, removing the lower growth generally aids the plant in producing the upper growth that, again, is the point of SCROG - and should be done more or less as it occurs (as opposed to waiting until you have any real amount of it).

Now, the above are generalizations. And - without trying to be mean here - that doesn't look to be an especially full "screen" at this point. How many days into flowering are your plants? The stretch is (normally) the first 40% of the flowering period. Some of that stretch will allow you to continue filling the screen, but you'll want to have it full in time for you to stop training and allow things to grow upwards through/past the screen before the stretch finishes. Then the stretch ends, the buds fill in... and (hopefully) you can end up with a nice canopy of buds that is thick enough that you can't read the newspaper by the little amount of light that makes it through to the bottom. Er... in theory (YMMV).
Thanks for replying @TorturedSoul , I " thought with the scog being so low it wouldn't effect them much but was I WRONG! they went in every direction and look as pissed off as a cat with a tin can tied on its tail, I got them flushed and put back in room, had to tie up 10 or so cola's, this just happened in the last 2 hrs and now I'm scared shit less!

Attachments

• 1530995594181-1175528340.jpg
    1530995594181-1175528340.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 15309956314971380416093.jpg
    15309956314971380416093.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 242
Back
Top Bottom