Removing fan leaves

Cbdman

I was thinking on rolling the dice on one of my sour diesels. This thing is like the tightest bush you ever seen. So many fan leaves , I can barley see my buds. I think I'm going to put my Freddy Kruger gloves on, and open her up a bit. I will post a few before and afters.

Sould I do this or not?

If she is in veg then you are good to go - bend any colas to let more light in and remove fan leaves from nodes that already have a leaf at least 2-3 cms only if they are blocking bud sites below. I regularly de-leaf when in veg and then again about 3 weeks after swtich to 12/12. Be very careful removing fan leaves after the flowers have formed as they won't be growing back after about the 3rd week of flower. I get very good results with de-leafing (this is a good indoor technique when one has limited space and want to get as much light penetration as possible. If you are runing a high wattage HID like 2 x 600w or a 1kw lamp, you probably do not need to do this. I find de-leafing works well for me with lower wattage (I have between 300-600W of LEDs and I find being disciplined in training and some de-leafing works wonders and get much better light penetration).

I normally give a speach about how plants work but I am in that other mood this morning.

It wont really hurt in any way you will notice and if you are asking this...then it will be a learning experience.

Enjoy your plant!

Those leaves however are there for a reason...developed by evolution, and will be reabsorbed when it is time...if you do things right.

The best thing to do is to tuck them.

Well I trimmed them up a bit, I did not go crazy but felt they needed to get some light

Attachments

• 20181107_114809.jpg
    20181107_114809.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20181111_120110.jpg
    20181111_120110.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20181111_120047.jpg
    20181111_120047.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20181111_120055.jpg
    20181111_120055.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 81
A few more after trim

Attachments

• 20181111_122942.jpg
    20181111_122942.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20181111_123000.jpg
    20181111_123000.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 75
wow, to your plants i still look like a jungle in my tent. This is my very first grow so i am trying to play it safe while trying to give my plants a boost.
thanks for the guidance vyserage

I normally give a speach about how plants work but I am in that other mood this morning.

It wont really hurt in any way you will notice and if you are asking this...then it will be a learning experience.

Enjoy your plant!

Those leaves however are there for a reason...developed by evolution, and will be reabsorbed when it is time...if you do things right.

The best thing to do is to tuck them.
thanks villiageldiot, i am a grasshopper in training. I took this gamble to get some light on the buds. This one sour diesel plant was like one of the thickest shrubs i ever seen. This plant was making leaves not buds

If she is in veg then you are good to go - bend any colas to let more light in and remove fan leaves from nodes that already have a leaf at least 2-3 cms only if they are blocking bud sites below. I regularly de-leaf when in veg and then again about 3 weeks after swtich to 12/12. Be very careful removing fan leaves after the flowers have formed as they won't be growing back after about the 3rd week of flower. I get very good results with de-leafing (this is a good indoor technique when one has limited space and want to get as much light penetration as possible. If you are runing a high wattage HID like 2 x 600w or a 1kw lamp, you probably do not need to do this. I find de-leafing works well for me with lower wattage (I have between 300-600W of LEDs and I find being disciplined in training and some de-leafing works wonders and get much better light penetration).

lol I know i could take out more, but I need that flower. Thank you for the knowledge SLHLover

As you grow you get a feel for what you can do at what stages when it comes to defoliation (leaf cutting). Like if i was having too many issues with deficiency or toxicity, i wouldnt give them such a haircut until i solved the issue.

Also worth noting, it takes soil plants longer to recover from a defoliation than it does hydro (alteast i believe i read that somewhere, im sure others can confirm/deny). I think it was something like 3 days for soil and a day for hydro. All i know is i can freely cut my leaves and the very next day they look great and happy. When you get to cutting them you will see the plant look a little sad/droop haha.

By the way i got over 2 pounds of bud from that grow.

Depends on what stage of growth your in, what are they autos or photos? Do you have mold growing, its best to leave them specially if you got a good light! But that my opioion :hmmmm:

I have 3 autos 1 compassion cbd , 2 sour diesels. No mold , but the canopy was so thick water would have a hard time penetrating it. Thanks moderngroroom

I have 3 autos 1 compassion cbd , 2 sour diesels. No mold , but the canopy was so thick water would have a hard time penetrating it. Thanks moderngroroom

Id cut a few i just had to myself my one auto was so thick that i had to i hate doing it but didnt have a choice .cut what u need to and roll on buddy.. itll be fine just dont strip the outside ones and a few inside ones try to leave some both ways in and out , bc at the end shes gonna draw whatever nutes are in her leafs to swell up tight. Just be easy with the scissors lol and make sure you triple makesure that u sanitize them with some hydrogen peroxide or isopropyl alcohol before you get to cutting its a must

Id cut a few i just had to myself my one auto was so thick that i had to i hate doing it but didnt have a choice .cut what u need to and roll on buddy.. itll be fine just dont strip the outside ones and a few inside ones try to leave some both ways in and out , bc at the end shes gonna draw whatever nutes are in her leafs to swell up tight. Just be easy with the scissors lol and make sure you triple makesure that u sanitize them with some hydrogen peroxide or isopropyl alcohol before you get to cutting its a must

Advice taken, thanks moderngroroom

Back
Top Bottom