Renegade's Hydro Flux - Featuring TwiLight Group's 432 Watt Spider COB LED

Renegade69

15 Jul 14, Tuesday

Started...LOL.

Can I first say....I hate Mylar...LOL. Spent the better part of the weekend prep'n the cabinet and had to redo the Mylar. Caught a buzz....not the kind you want to catch with the adhesive. Other then that it's all put back together and up and running.

So without any further ado....

Planted seed in root plug. Directly from freezer into plug, into pod with pump turned on. I chose this method because it works for me. Every time with the AG and all but 1 seed pop'd. So we will give this a try for a couple days and if it doesn't pop by Friday I'll float one Friday night.

You may be wondering the who's, what's and where's...LOL.

Well so am I but it's late so I'll get to this tomorrow. The title does give some idea...LOL.

Would love to get in at the beginning of this new grow journal, especially since you're going to flux. I'm new to 420mag and have been perusing the site for about 2 months now trying to learn as much as I can before I actually take the plunge and start to grow my own. I intend on using hydro and LEDs when the time comes. Good luck to you Renegade :yahoo:

Sprite, good morning and welcome. I'll share a bud with you when it's done for being first to sub...lol.

I've been lurking over at Flux central and most other things flux and have been taking notes and asking questions. Tons of questions...lol.

So firstly, please don't hesitate to ask questions and share your experiences, knowledge and skills. This community is what it is because of the share.

I'll do a better and complete opening page tonight when I get home. Not sure if you checked out my last grow but you'll see I like to update and post pics so hopefully you can get something out of it.

17 Jul 14, Thursday

Morning...
Air=77
RH=5.0
PH=7.1
PPM=
Res Temp=79

Strain is Nirvana's Blue Mystic: Indica, Short Plant, 7-9 weeks flowering, stoned effect (body buzz and relaxing ...couch lock....LOL
In seedling stage
Indoor
Hydro
Reservoir: ------------ BP6, 6 gallon
Light: TopLED, 96*3 Reflector Series
Nutrients: General Hydroponics FloraSeries Performance Pack
Suppliments: GH's CALiMAGic

Growing style....Fluxing!!!

I will veg for 6 weeks before flipping to 12/12. Speaking of 12/12, my lighting will run 24 hours the first week of seedling stage, go to 18/6 for vegging and 12/12 for flowering.

The LED will play around 6"-12" above the plant and may move up to 18" for the stretch and the last weeks of flowering.

So pull up a chair and enjoy the ride. And by all means share your comments and thoughts.

And we always like to begin with some pictures....LOL

2014-07-16_20_24_51.jpg

2014-07-16_20_25_28.jpg

2014-07-16_20_26_00.jpg

2014-07-16_20_27_42.jpg

2014-07-16_20_28_18.jpg

2014-07-16_20_29_10.jpg

2014-07-16_20_29_34.jpg

2014-07-16_20_29_52.jpg

2014-07-16_20_30_22.jpg

Thank you for the warm welcome. :thanks:
Your setup looks great! How big is your grow space? Are the wood boards on the side for slipping in a scrog later or do you not use a scrog when fluxing?

Thank you for the warm welcome. :thanks:
Your setup looks great! How big is your grow space? Are the wood boards on the side for slipping in a scrog later or do you not use a scrog when fluxing?

Sprite, the cabinet is an old computer hutch. Yes, the boards are for a SCROG and no, you don't SCROG a flux. One of the pictures show the scrog in place but I'll take a better picture of the trellis tonight to give you an idea of what it looks like.

The main reason for this is you have to have access to the arms when training the plant and you need to be able to adjust them during the stretch and flowering. The side arm/shoot colas need to be kept below the main flux colas and you need to keep as even as a canopy as possible.

I was originally going to use the scrog for my flux to help keep the arms down and symmetrical but LA (Professor/Inventor of Flux) reminded me that I need to have access. I haven't written it off yet but will probably listen to LA on this first go round.

Maybe...lol

LA always ends his comments and suggedtions with "It's your plant, do what you want"

Did you make your own scrog? I am thinking that eventually I will have to make a scrog as it seems like a good way to increase yield. However, I am not really a diy'er, so I will need to find a very SIMPLE way to make one. I have tried doing a search for diy scrog on this site, but am not really having much luck.

Can you give me the dimensions of your hutch? Do you veg for 6 weeks because it takes that long to get all of the fluxing done? Most people usually veg for about 4 weeks, don't they?

Did you make your own scrog? I am thinking that eventually I will have to make a scrog as it seems like a good way to increase yield. However, I am not really a diy'er, so I will need to find a very SIMPLE way to make one. I have tried doing a search for diy scrog on this site, but am not really having much luck.

Can you give me the dimensions of your hutch? Do you veg for 6 weeks because it takes that long to get all of the fluxing done? Most people usually veg for about 4 weeks, don't they?

Yes, I made my own for this cabinet mod and the last grow. Check out my AeroGarden Part Two journal. Somewhere around page 1, post 11. I just saw what everyone else was trying and that's what I came up with.

Cabinet dimensions are also over there.

For Fluxing, veg time will depend on how big your pot or res is. the bigger the pot the longer the training because you want the arms to reach the rim. And remember you can veg as long as you want....strain being the only factor....or auto's....I don't do auto's because I want to control my veg and flowering stage.

Your AG journal truly just opened my eyes. +reps for you my friend! I have an AG and never even thought about using it for the seedling stage and maybe early veg. I bought and used it years ago and it has just been sitting empty for about 5-6 years.

The scrog in your AG journal looks totally different than the one in the pics above. However, the AG one looks like it could be something I possibly could make to fit what I am working on. This is probably a stupid question, but like I said, I'm not a diy'er...when you put the pvc portions into the corner fittings for the scrog frame, did you use some kind of glue? Also, what size grid do you feel is best? Some I have seen in these journals look too small, like maybe 1" square, and some look really huge, like maybe 6-8" square. I'm sure it's personal preference, but there should be some logical average size.

Subscribed.

I will veg for 6 weeks before flipping to 12/12. Speaking of 12/12, my lighting will run 24 hours the first week of seedling stage, go to 18/6 for vegging and 12/12 for flowering.

The LED will play around 6"-12" above the plant and may move up to 18" for the stretch and the last weeks of flowering.

I would double check the minimum recommended distance for your LED light to confirm what is the lowest height you should hang your LED light above your canopy. You want to allow enough height above the canopy for the spectrum to properly mix.

Subscribed.

I would double check the minimum recommended distance for your LED light to confirm what is the lowest height you should hang your LED light above your canopy. You want to allow enough height above the canopy for the spectrum to properly mix.

King, good morning....

Yep, I'm taking that into account. Per TopLED recommended height for seedling and veg is 18-24".

I wish I could fully understand the spectrum, mix of and cone effect. Still very cloudy in my mind. They say that the angle of LED is 90/120 degree.

What the hell does that really mean...LOL. Too much math in my mind. May be simple to most but not to me...I suck at math....

90/120 from the recommend height??? What happens when I lower it too say 12"?? What do I loose or gain if any???

I do understand that with a cone effect the cone is smaller when the light is close and larger farther away. So if I were a guessing man, then I would assume (Ass of U and Me...LOL) it's 90 degrees at 18" and 120 degrees at 24???

Thank you for your input it's very appreciated....:Namaste:

19 Jul 14, Saturday
Morning...
Air=82
RH=46
PH=7.1
PPM=
Res Temp=83

So it has begun...LOL.

Seed was placed in rooting plug on Wednesday. Straight from freezer to plug. Plug went straight to pod and res. A small AG dome was placed on top of that and an unused pod covered with foil on top of that.

Lights out....

Temp in cabinet was around 85 with RH around 50. On Thursday morning the dome had mist so that tells me the RH seemed to be good.

I didn't check it on Friday and when I checked in on her this morning she was pushing the AG dome up off her. So I took the dome and pod off and turned the lights on.

She is steadily turning towards the lights. My only concern with this is that she may be too tall so I may reseat her lower in the pod once she begins to produce that first set of leaf's. Comments???

I'll give her a few days before introducing nutrients and will only give it to her at half strength. Input on this decision is welcomed.

I'm very disappoint with the chiller I purchased. It's not working and support is nonexistent. That really sucks. The seller says it's the manufactures' problem and the manufacture isn't cooperating.

I received an invite to test a new light and am anxiously waiting for a response on that. I'll keep you all posted once it's confirmed.

This is what she looked like this morning....

2014-07-19_09_12_00.jpg

I would only give a seedling either rooting supplements or pH adjusted water. Nutrient use too soon for the seedling will harm your plants.

Noted....

What is considered the end of seedling? I've been thinking it's when the first set of leafs appear. Or the last two grows I waited a week.

Whatcha think?

Also, since it's a 6 gallon res I thought I would adjust PH slowly about a gallon at a time.

I would say the seedling stage is over when the first set of cotyledon leaves have grown several inches long and the second set of leaves is well underway. It is best not to have your roots sitting in the nutrient solution when you are adjusting the pH of the reservoir. I would remove the plants from the reservoir area and complete the pH adjustment then place the plants back into position.

Back
Top Bottom