Repelling gnats?

Jwhat201

What looks like gnats are starting to piss me off haha. I keep seeing them in the soil but they get away, don't wanna go mad and risk killing my baby.

I read online a cup of soapy water by the plant helps, I'm gonna try that because it doesn't seem like it can hurt.
Any more suggestions for repelling gnats, without harming my girl? I'm debating on removing my air conditioner because they must be getting in between that and my window. Or would moving my plant and light to the other end of the room maybe help?

Oh and my she's only 5 days old, so yea, bit more worried haha.

Thanks a lot for any help

Not good idea to pour with soap.

Buy Neem and Pour with this(but Soft this is an young plant),then cover surface with Bird sand(u can buy it in any store).
Buy yellow boards to catch the others, kill how much u can beat and than its good.

I went to buy some really expensive stuff (can't recall the name) from the Hydi shop and he said save your money and spray general supermarket fly spray. Been spraying for years and hasn't hurt the plants at all. I lightly spray the soil surface then spray low in the room fairly heavy, the fans spread the spray around. I also use the yellow sticky pads. Little basdards.

I actually can't get to the store or buy anything for a couple weeks, why I mentioned the soapy water. Didn't say pouring with soap, just laying a cup of soapy water by my plant.

I've had the little buggers a few times and they are a PITA.

The yellow sticky strips will help reduce the population by taking some of the adults out of the picture. Even regular fly paper will help as well. Potato slices stuck into the soil at the top of the pots is supposed to help as the larva, which do all the damage, are attracted to them. You just replace the slices every few days to get rid of them.

I water from the bottom mostly to keep the top of the soil dry and hopefully prevent the eggs from hatching. I also put a layer of diatomaceous earth over the top if I know I have them for sure tho dry sand will help too. The DE dries out the eggs and acts like sharp broken glass to kill the adults if they land on it and dig around.

If you can keep the top dry you can fill a dish with moist soil and keep it beside the plants for an attractive place for the adults to lay their eggs. That would have to be removed and replaced every week before any larva hatched. Never heard of a bowl of soapy water doing anything but worth a try I guess.

Also, get any bags of soil out of the grow room and far away from it. My worst infestation ever came out of a bag of really expensive soil similar to Fox Farms that I bought at a hydro shop 14 years ago. The little bastards infect the bags after they've been sterilized at the facility that made it.

There are insecticidal powders made that can be sprinkled on the soil to kill them and doesn't get taken up by the plants but that means a trip to the stores.

Good luck!

L8r

Back
Top Bottom