Representative Allen Peake: Haleigh's Hope Is Now Georgia's Hope

Jacob Redmond

Fifteen months ago, a local reporter asked me if there was any interest within the General Assembly in taking on the medical marijuana issue for the 2014 legislative session, and I told him, emphatically, that there was none and that I did not foresee that issue coming up anytime soon in Georgia. Then, a week later, I met a little 4-year-old girl named Haleigh, and her courageous mom and dad, and was I proved ever so wrong.

I learned that Haleigh was having 100-200 seizures a day, and that medical cannabis oil had been showing evidence of stopping those seizures. Once I heard that Haleigh and her mom were making plans to move to Colorado where cannabis oil is legal, I was confronted with the question that each of us have to ask -- what would I do if this was my child?

Asking myself this question was the beginning of a journey into uncharted territory for me and the entire General Assembly, as we confronted hurdles that made it very difficult to attempt to pass or legalize any form of medical marijuana in this state. Many residents, and many of my colleagues, worried we would be going down a slippery slope and eventually legalize marijuana for recreational purposes. The challenges were too difficult to overcome last year, and the bill, HB 885, failed on the last day of the session.

It was a crushing blow, as we knew children would die before we would have the opportunity to try to pass legislation again. And yes, we lost some of Georgia's children whose parents lobbied at the State Capitol -- Trinity Sumlin, Abe Hopkins, Mary Elizabeth Hopkins, Lela Hall -- young kids whose lives could have been extended, and improved, with medical cannabis.

Losing those precious children only energized the parents, who lobbied and worked so hard last year, and they were determined to convince our elected officials that Georgia's children, and other hurting residents, deserve a chance to have legal access to cannabis oil in this state. During the last year, 17 Georgia families moved to another state to access cannabis oil and were determined to give their child an opportunity to see if this medicine could stop their child's seizures. Every single family saw a reduced number of seizures. They also saw improved cognitive ability, and many were weaned off the debilitating FDA anti-seizure drugs. They found out the medicine worked, but they were medical refugees, and desperately wanted to come back home to reunite with their spouses and support networks.

The very good news is that these Georgia families will now be able to come back home with the passage of HB 1, named the Haleigh's Hope Act, after the young girl that inspired our entire state. HB 1 will provide immunity from prosecution for possession of medical cannabis oil for eight medical conditions, including cancer, multiple sclerosis, seizures, ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease), Parkinson's, Crohn's, mitochondrial and sickle cell diseases. After a resident or caregiver has received a recommendation from the physician that is treating them, they will be eligible to receive a registration card from the state, affirming they can legally possess the oil in Georgia. However, these individuals will still be required to legally obtain the oil in another state. This will be the case until we come up with a safe and effective cultivation and delivery system that is strictly regulated in our state. A commission will be created to study the best way to do that in Georgia. Their recommendation will be made to the governor and General Assembly by Dec. 31 of this year. The members of the commission will be stakeholders in this issue, including medical professionals, law enforcement officials, pharmacists, government agencies and elected officials.

While this step is too far for some, and not far enough for others, it will give some Georgia residents the option to obtain medicine that could change their lives, and it is a step in the right direction. And that is a good thing for Georgians.

There are too many people to thank who deserve credit for passage of this bill, from the parents who lobbied at the Capitol almost every day to share their lives and their stories, to my House colleagues who supported this initiative early and at great political risk, to Speaker David Ralston who made this a priority for the House, to Gov. Nathan Deal who worked behind the scenes to support bringing our medical refugees home and led the charge for a clinical trial protocol, and to senators and Lt. Governor Casey Cagle who agreed that our state should move in this direction.

Finally, I have to also thank the residents of this state. It was through your words of encouragement, prayers and support that made it clear that Georgia supports legislation that gives hurting residents a choice to improve their quality of life. Your voice was heard loud and clear at the state Capitol. And our state, and our fellow citizens are now better because of it.

178.jpeg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Rep. Allen Peake: Haleigh's Hope is now Georgia's hope | Your Say | Macon.com
Author: Allen Peake
Contact: Contact The Telegraph or macon.com in Macon and Warner Robins, GA
Photo Credit: The Telegraph
Website: News, sports and weather for Macon and Warner Robins, GA| The Telegraph & macon.com

One word, AWESOME!!! I am truly grateful for those people who fought so hard to get us this far, they are all true Cannabis warriors! :thanks:

Now we have something real to hold on to and a stepping stone in the right direction, but this whole "slippery slope" nonsense they keep talking about is just their way of saying they don't really care about any other ailments that Cannabis can help with, I think it's been made quite clear in lots of other states that Cannabis is good for treating a hell of allot more than 8 diseases alone. So, what is it these officials are saying, they don't care about you unless you only have one of these 8 conditions?

Let us not forget also that there's still lots of work to be done here in the "Bible Belt" our prisons here in Georgia are cram packed with nonviolent people who just want to live their lives without fear of over militant law enforcement treating us like we're substandard human beings.

This just goes to show you what a handful of voters can do by threatening to take their votes elsewhere, thus tarnishing these officials reputations for being non compassionate, also think about what would happen if every Cannabis user in this state would just band together and start speaking out as one voice, all of us saying that we've had enough of their tyranny?

I say it's time to turn up the heat and take it to the next level here in the Southeast, if these officials think it stops here, they're sadly mistaken!!!

Back
Top Bottom