reptile lighting cfl?

growrilla

hey i breed some lizards and have a good line on some cfl for animal use the claim to put out higher lvls of uva and uvb they only go to 23 watt but i figured as a supplement light worth it do you think?:smokin3:

but don't those put off alot of heat too? I would stay away from them if they do, plus 23 watts is barely much, BUT the more the better. But I mean, if they dont get hot, then why not add em! Just make sure the lizards can still do their thing. Can't take that from them.

they are compact flor that produce a higher amount of uva and uvb which i believe affects resin production

Do you know what spectrum the light puts out?
I am waiting for a response from them to find out for sure but its intention is to mimic sun for sun loving reptiles with the uva and uvb
I have read resin is mj way of protecting thier seed from uv, hence more uv=more resin :passitleft:

could be, but then what would be the reason of the females having resin, though?

see the reszin is being produced to protect developeing seeds from too much uv which would kill them. the idea is if you give your plant some uv it will naturally produce more resin:Rasta:

I follow your logic but the females dont have seeds, so why would they have it to protect the seeds, ya know? I dunno I was just sayin

can you explain a biological reason behind resin? I am aware it doesnt have seed thats like saying a woman cant have tits unless she has kids

If you do a search you will find alot of info on this its a fact im just wondering if these reptile lights put out enough to help, geuss ill just try it and let you know

Resin glands are sticky and can catch pollen.
You need proper lighting cause your growing a plant. Your not growing resin.
I know nothing about reptile lights except that they provide heat for them but if you get the lumen numbers that should tell ya.

lumens, has nothing to do with it. If its not in the right spectrum then those lumens arent going to do anything for you. The heat from the reptile light might put out a little too much. If its over 78 degrees f, you might have a problem. The light is NOT supposed to mimic the sun, its only purpose is to provide heat for cold blooded reptiles. So the light could either be a blue spectrum or red spectrum, or anywhere in between. Blue spectrum is for vegging purposes and not well suited for flowering. Red spectrum is good for flowering but not so good for veg.

I tried to grow some plants using a Reptiglo 8.0 light a while back and they were some of the sickest looking plants I've ever seen.

sg4 its a cfl unless im mistaken it puts off close to know heat. the idea of the light is to give the bright sun like light, and some uva and uvb, with no heat:bong:

chez i dont intend to use one of them alone im just thinking of adding one to see how it affects resin production:allgood:

lumens, has nothing to do with it. If its not in the right spectrum then those lumens arent going to do anything for you. The heat from the reptile light might put out a little too much. If its over 78 degrees f, you might have a problem. The light is NOT supposed to mimic the sun, its only purpose is to provide heat for cold blooded reptiles. So the light could either be a blue spectrum or red spectrum, or anywhere in between. Blue spectrum is for vegging purposes and not well suited for flowering. Red spectrum is good for flowering but not so good for veg.

All of this is correct information.:cheesygrinsmiley:

I tried to grow some plants using a Reptiglo 8.0 light a while back and they were some of the sickest looking plants I've ever seen.

Do you mean "sick" as in "dude that is sick" or sick as in unhealthy? I would expect the latter.:laughtwo:

Do you mean "sick" as in "dude that is sick" or sick as in unhealthy? I would expect the latter.:laughtwo:

I was actually considering using a different word when I first posted. hah. But yeah, they looked horrible. They were around 8" tall and only had the cotyledons and one set of 3 finger leaves and they were almost a month old.

My bad, I meant Kelvin Temp which would be rated next to the Lumens output rating in CCT, PAR or CRI.Any one of those numbers would tell if its suitable for growing plant life. Talking about lights and spectrums always bores me so after I bought all the light I need I really don't bother with it. These numbers are normally not listed on the box but some light retailers have charts or you might find the info from the manufatures site.

Back
Top Bottom