Request for assistance

BigManRestles

I hope someone can give me a hand identifying the problem I'm having. As the photo shows I have brown spots on the fan leaves on a plant in a DWC system 4 weeks into flowering. I also have plants in there in an ebb and flow and in dirt, and they are ok. I don't know the strain, and I use Fox Farms nutes per their feeding schedule. I would appreciate any input to solve this problem.
Thanks!
brownspots.jpeg

Oh, and by the way, I'm working on the spider mite problem. Hate to do much while they're flowering that may affect final product.

if its only in the DWC and the other plants are the same strain then I would have to say you have an issue of lockout..how big is the res? how often are you changing the water? what is the PH. it looks like a deficiency that is caused by nute lock.
this helps us alot bro...fill it out and I guarentee we will fix it
How to Ask for Grow Support

Thanks for taking notice Pitviper. Here's the info I have:

What Strain is it? This I truly don't know. I was given a clone back in 1994, and been keeping going since then in soil. I was told then everyone called it "The Sweet"
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Opinions are it's a hybrid
How Many Plants? 6 in the DWC, 5 in the ebb and flow, and 6 in soil
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? About 4 weeks into flowering
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Hydro, 6 plant DWC with a 12" airstone
If Hydro, Reservoir size? 14 gallon Rubbermaid tote with about 11 gallons liquid. Actual Dimensions 16" W x 24" L x 12" H
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature? Usually stays around 65°
If Hydro, what type of Medium? Hydrocon
If Hydro, what type of Setup? 6 plant DWC with a 12" airstone
What Size Pot? 3-3/4 net pots
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1 - 600w HPS with Son Agro Bulb on a lightmover
Is it Air Cooled? No
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? mid to upper 70's when light is on, drops 5-10° during lights off.
RH of Room/Cabinet? Averages around 50%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? Trying to maintain the 5.8 to 6.0 ideal, usually lucky to keep it under 6.5
Any Pests? Spider Mites
How Often are you Watering? DWC, air pump running 24-7
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Fox Farms Hydro Grow Big, Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom, Following their feeding schedule, keeping PPM mid range, about 1250
Size or Square Footage of Room? Total room, around 60 square feet, Grow area 8" x 4" with the light mover traveling over the entire grow area

I try to change the Reservior once a week, yesterday I changed the reservior to a 25% strength nute mix, plan to give it another day or so to let it flush.

If you need any more info, let me know. Sorry i can't be exact about the strain, but as I said earlier, I've kept it going for over 15 years in soil (started in a PhotoTron!), and never noticed any problem before.

Thanks for your assistance.

I just did 6 rips of Lemon Haze and I cant concentrate right now...in fact its taking a long time to type this legibly. I will think on it and respond tom.

but to be clear....the DWC is a diff strain? or we are dealing with more than 1 strain
it sounds like you have issues due to small res size....but Im REALLY baked

All systems are running the same strain, the "Sweet", as it was identified to me back in 1994 when I was given the first clone. It appears to be an indica/sativa hybrid, leaning more towards the indica. Sorry I can't be more specific about the strain.
If it does end up being a reservior size issue, I guess I could get the next bigger sized Rubbermaid container to finish off these plants. As far as long term goes, I just built a Stinkbuddies veg unit, and will be starting work on my first flowering unit soon.

i would start with the basics...flush, 50% nutes and start at 5.5 you may have to change twice a week if its due to instability due to rapid water intake. or get a bigger res

Thanks Pit, I already started the flush with 25% solution, planned on changing it tomorrow. I'll go with 50% nute and try to maintain Ph at the low end. Checking into a bigger rez to get me through to harvest.

BigManRestles- + reps for taking quick action and great information. Also for keeping the strain goign too. Can't forget the good ol' plants. :smokin:

Thanks for the kudos, I've tried hard to maintain the integrity of the system and the bud. With all the fads and latest greatest, it can be hard to maintain perspective. It's great to see so many people in the same state of mind as me after just winging for so long.

IF this helps you at all. I have use Fox Farms several time with very good results, adjusting the Ph to 5.5 let it go to 6.2 then adjust back down. with a large res like pit said, you should only have to adjust once no more than twice every res. change out..Hope that is helpFull....Oh ya I Flush with just Big bloom only PH'd..

I changed the reservior again, and put in 50% nutes per Pitviper's recomendation. The leaves that were affected the most are starting to die and fall off, but the plants still look vigorous and similar to the other systems in there. Since they are only a few weeks from haevest, I don't think I'll do anything else as long as the plants keep pace. Long term, I'll keep a closer eye on them, but I probably won't be using the DWC system any more inside. I just put a Stinkbuddies veg unit into use, and plan to build a flowering unit and give that a try. Actually been using aeroponics for a long time, I have an old Botanicare Jet-Gro cloner that I bought a number of years ago that still serves me well. I also decided to go with the nutes they recommend, Liquid Karma, Cal-Mag Plus, and Pure Blend Pro Grow and Bloom for a while. I'll see how that goes. Thinking about posting a grow journal, been taking some photos to record the progress.
I just want to say thanks to everone who took the time to help help me with my problem. You gave me a lot of insight into hydro, which I'm a real noob in, but trying hard. Soil is a lot easier, but I can see the benefits in hydro as they grow side by side.
:thanks:

"There are three kinds of people....those that have mites...those that will get them and those that lie about it"...... PitViper

Ill break it down for you
the general idea is that he has a deficiency that is caused by a nutrient lock....ie salts.....he has to have some kind of media unless hes growing in aeroponics....and even then the roots can be locked..... the plants are almost mature...you cant tell me he doesnt have any salt buildup...everyone does.
Flushing is like wiping your ass

If you don't do somethin' about 'em you won't have to worry about them bein' in flower.....

My Experience Using Sierra Natural Science Spider Mite Spray
The way I've been addressing the mite issue has been to use Doktor Doom in the veg room and earlier in the flowering stage. I have done this a number of times, but the little bastards always come back. I have also tried the no pest strips, and more food safe insecticidal soap sprays than I can recall, but once again, they always come back. I was just given a sample bottle of SNS-217 at my local hydro store as I related in my posting in the thread you reference. I have high hopes for this stuff, and if the mites do show an aversion to it, I also plan to try growing some rosemary in the rooms to possibly keep them at bay.

Most people I know in DWC use hydroton. Pretty hard to get built up salts in the pot when the water is below.

I can't tell you that his medium has no built-up salts just like you can't tell me it does. What I can tell you is that the chance of him having built-up salts in DWC is not very high and flushing (actually it's not flushing it is? You're telling him to just feed less) is going to give a plant that can't feed right even less food, making the problem worse in most cases.

I think you were probably right about the pH being the culprit, flushing has nothing to do with that.

I have extensive experience in DWC myself.....using hydroton. when you have a suspension of water and nutrients are not the bubbles carrying nutrients? hmmm??? come on now this is basic hydroponics.
To clarify...you will NEVER be hurt flushing...you can only be hurt when you dont flush. Its one of the basics...PH,clean media and in some situations a good bacteria bed. I cant tell you he has salt buildup but I can tell you that its easier to just flush and eliminate the variable.

I was just given a sample bottle of SNS-217 at my local hydro store as I related in my posting in the thread you reference.

sorry, brain fart on my part.....

Did you check out the link? Some great before/after pics of a bunch a dead mites!

Most people I know in DWC use hydroton. Pretty hard to get built up salts in the pot when the water is below.

I can't tell you that his medium has no built-up salts just like you can't tell me it does. What I can tell you is that the chance of him having built-up salts in DWC is not very high and flushing (actually it's not flushing it is? You're telling him to just feed less) is going to give a plant that can't feed right even less food, making the problem worse in most cases.

I think you were probably right about the pH being the culprit, flushing has nothing to do with that.

I would listen to Pit, my young apprentice.....check his thread and show me this man ain't a walking god! I think he has the credentials....:grinjoint:

The VipersNest Continuous

Back
Top Bottom