Requesting feedback and criticism on plans

erkkip

I would be very grateful if anyone can spot flaws in and/or improve upon the following cabinet, designed to grow two feminized plants from seed to harvest:

Grow area (second section from bottom) width x depth x height: 870mm x 700mm x 920mm or ~3' x 2' x 3'. Walls will be covered with diamond mylar, basic soundproofing provided by the rest of the cabinet (part of a larger whole).

Pots, soil, myco: 20 litre (~5 gallon) Air-Pots, with standard potting soil, and the seed planted in RHS Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi granules.

Nutrients: Hesi soil

Lighting: 250w HPS with ye olde ballast, Sunmaster 250w Dual-Spectrum lamp in a cooltube, installed vertically. The lamp is attached to a shelf held up by Easy Rolls (not pictured) so I can lower the entire shelf when the plants are young.

Ventilation: Inline fan, 175 cbm/h (~100 cbf/m) with a 225 cbm/h upgrade planned, an active charcoal filter, and a small oscillating fan. Airflow pulls cool air from the bottom, through the cooltube, into the filter, and the hot air is vented out via baffles at the top. The air in the cabinet is (theoretically) cycled every ~4 minutes, and partly thanks to this fast circulation I'm not considering carbon dioxide systems.

Keeping air moisture content high is difficult, and I haven't figured out a way to do so. Ideally, it would all be trapped inside the grow area and little to no water would enter the charcoal filter. Gore-Tex?

For watering, I'll run a circular length of hose - with small holes in it - an inch above the soil surface and attach it to a canister of water. Then I just need to upend the canister to irrigate, no spills. I might eventually rig an Arduino-based system via humidity sensors embedded in the soil, depending on how often the Air-Pots need to be watered.

Cloning is not a priority: I might eventually keep some clones in the space taken up by the carbon filter (and add appropriate lighting), but currently the entire design is based on growing two feminized plants from seed in soil. Hydroponics, aeroponics, SOG, and SCROG are not the intended design targets here, though low-stress-training is a definite must.

Exluding the abovementioned as well as LED lighting / digital ballast(s) / more lamps, what improvements, no matter how tiny, can you come up with?

--
:Namaste: for your time and wisdom.

I do see one issue with this design idea.

Vertical cooltube.

By going vertical you are going to drop the light between the girls, thus narrowing even further the ability to bush the plant(s) out at all.

If you think about it, you're only allowing an 18" width for each girls without the light hanging between them. Now take 6-8" away from that for the light (minimum) and you're down to 12"-14" wide allowance.

This doesnt lend well to LST either, as you're trying to train them to yield more but now have to train them to stay skinny.

I would suggest horizontal light.

Back
Top Bottom