Residential outdoor grow?

Gulfcoastjoker

I've been debating putting a potted girl outside this spring. My neighbors Aren't right on top of me, but still a residential good.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is the smell to strong on a windy day? If I planted a planter full of lavender around it would that help cover the smell? Is it even worth the risk?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Expect to lose them if they are seen on your property. Meter readers, repairmen, neighbors, relatives, and visitors cannot be trusted to keep their mouths shut, or leave your plants alone once they know they're there. A good territorial dog or outdoor motion sensors will help only if you are home all the time.

Expect to lose them if they are seen on your property. Meter readers, repairmen, neighbors, relatives, and visitors cannot be trusted to keep their mouths shut, or leave your plants alone once they know they're there. A good territorial dog or outdoor motion sensors will help only if you are home all the time.
I am home about 95% of the time, and the way my backyard is set up, I have a section that's out of site on the opposite end. But you make some very valid points. Enough to make me reconsider.

I have done it in a decently residential area, however every situation is unique and i had to move mine a couple of times due to things like meter men and workers coming by. So if you are going to do it try, your best to make sure it is not easily seen, and keep it potted so you can move it at a moments notice especially if it is not legal where you live in any type of way to grow outdoors. Bottom line be cautious, use your own judgment on if it is safe, but i wouldn't worry about the smell unless they are right on top of you as smoking a joint outside would probably smell more than one plant in the back yard. (unless u go really big) And keep in mind if it is in your yard it is pretty hard to deny it is yours.

I once read an article that said pick your location z month before you plant. Put a 20dollar bill there (I would use a 5 or 10 lol). If it's still there after the month the location should be OK. I get we are talking money and plant however if all goes well your plant will be worth lots of $$$.

For the smell, it really depends on the strain. Some girls are stinky and some are not.

My 2 cents lol

I considered the same this summer but I’m very secluded. It makes me too nervous. Growing indoors gives a piece of mind that absolutely nobody will know unless you show n tell. Outside you don’t know what eyes may see.

A bit off topic but funny. This past grow I dried some of the harvest using a food dehydrator in my finished attic. What I didn’t realize was the dehydrator was positioned evenly with my front door. Ahh...the smell of drying bud pushing through the soffit vents to greet everyone who came to my door. It was noticeable outside but not overly.

This is to those who are in "illegal" areas:

If you're already growing cannabis indoors, and you also choose to grow a plant (or more than one) outdoors, and you get caught doing so... that's probably going to be grounds for a search warrant. Especially if, instead of confiscating the outdoor plant as soon as they find out about it, LEO somehow manages to quietly observe it for a time and catches you or someone else associated with your household tending to it or otherwise appearing to be aware of its existence.

In many jurisdictions, one cannabis plant, especially if it's small enough to fall below a certain limit, it's the first time you've been convicted of a crime, et cetera might only get you a fine or a suspended sentence. But add in a separate, "professional-level cannabis production facility" (that always just looked like an indoor garden to me, but I'm not a prosecutor :rolleyes: ), and things could go badly. . . .

I've grown outside,in my backyard for years,but I'm in Cali,where it was always "sort of" illegal until recently.
It does tend to keep you a bit on the nervous side.

And the bigger and stinkier they are,the harder they are to hide(they don't all stink,but many do)
If it's likely to get you a large fine,or put in jail,or both,then you need to think long and hard about doing it.

If you do decide to do it,you can get the meter reading schedules from the utility companies so you'll know when they're going to be in your yard.
As far as the neighbors are concerned-well,ya just never know about them...

This is to those who are in "illegal" areas:

If you're already growing cannabis indoors, and you also choose to grow a plant (or more than one) outdoors, and you get caught doing so... that's probably going to be grounds for a search warrant. Especially if, instead of confiscating the outdoor plant as soon as they find out about it, LEO somehow manages to quietly observe it for a time and catches you or someone else associated with your household tending to it or otherwise appearing to be aware of its existence.

In many jurisdictions, one cannabis plant, especially if it's small enough to fall below a certain limit, it's the first time you've been convicted of a crime, et cetera might only get you a fine or a suspended sentence. But add in a separate, "professional-level cannabis production facility" (that always just looked like an indoor garden to me, but I'm not a prosecutor :rolleyes: ), and things could go badly. . . .
This can't be stressed enough... if this applies to you and you still for whatever reason really want to grow one or so outdoors then find a spot not on your property so that it can not be traced back to you and your indoor operation unless you are caught red handed. Great post TorturedSoul.

Its legal in my area now. I tried a decade ago to grow 1 in my back yard... about a month old and it disappears. Im almost positive who took it I had a shady neighbor at the time. Never tried again. I will try a few in back yard this year 1 or 3 depending where my tents at in the spring. I totally agree with torturedsoul if your not legal and you got a good thing going dont take chance be happy with what you got!!
:yummy:

:ganjamon:
To stop theft of their plants, my daughter and her friend starting buying extra clones and to hand out to the neighbours that they know smoked. Its been 4 years since they started this tradition, now there is so much pot growing in this one neighbourhood, that if there was a theft, someone will have your back and replace the loss.
Since they started this, there have been no thefts in this residential neighborhood for them or for the newer growers. :thumb:
I love how now everyone just gets along over there, its just one big happy neighorhood now :yummy:
:party:

:ganjamon:
To stop theft of their plants, my daughter and her friend starting buying extra clones and to hand out to the neighbours that they know smoked. Its been 4 years since they started this tradition, now there is so much pot growing in this one neighbourhood, that if there was a theft, someone will have your back and replace the loss.
Since they started this, there have been no thefts in this residential neighborhood for them or for the newer growers. :thumb:
I love how now everyone just gets along over there, its just one big happy neighorhood now :yummy:
:party:

Hahahaha i was going to try this method with the next door neighbour... younger couple but i dont think they smoke...

Someone mentioned about neighbours visitors and friends though...
Those are the ones that will blab about what they saw in your yard.

I am in ontario, canada so each household is" allowed " 4 plants..

Im hoping anyone whos interested in growing has got theyre own stuff going, and will leave mine alone...

For years me and friends tried hiding outdoor gardens up at the cottage...
End result: a lot of hard work for minimal and poor looking flowers..

The further into the bush you go to hide, the further you have to carry shovels, supplies, bags of dirt etc.
And the further you have to go for checkups and such.

I will break arms and legs if i catch anyone in my yard.. to small to hide so it is what it is.

Im hoping anyone whos interested in growing has got theyre own stuff going, and will leave mine alone...

If you're assuming that a thief will only ever steal something that he/she cannot possibly obtain via honest means, then yeah, that's a good strategy.

On the other hand, that's probably not an assumption you should be making if you want to be thought of as an adult, lol.

I had a break-in recently, my outbuilding. Among other things, the SOB stole a box of dirty (oily) rags, FFS.

The person returned a week later and tried to do a B&E (they were successful at the "B" part) on my house.

I will break arms and legs if i catch anyone in my yard.

I'm not as strong as I was in my youth - so I've been sitting up nights with a twelve gauge at hand. Seems like it's next to impossible to get a thief to stop being a thief; you can only send one away for a (short) mandatory vacation, or retire the miscreant. I'm for the latter. . . .

When i Grew in residental i whould always keep in a bucket or pot like 5 gal but not white ones i guess you could paint black or whatever matches Enviroment then i whould dig a hole and bury it when its getting pretty big, also put a plastic sheet or bag at the bottem of hole it don't have to go all the way up sides of hole. Have some camoflage plants like clematis or other types of vines or even cucumbers on arbors or stakes ive also stuck branchy sticks in pots running paralell with plant so the brown sticks make it appear to be a small tree lol. But anyway at least if its in pot you can move it if need be it will have some roots ripped thou they always find there way out of pot but u dont have to lose the whole plant cause u got paranoid

The main issue I see with burying the container in the ground is then you have to rely on the drainage properties of that ground. Well, it's worse than that in practice, because instead of the soil in your bucket being "open" to the soil that is the ground, the only access points are the drainage holes you've put in that bucket. So any excess water ends up having to trickle out slowly. If the ground happens to be heavy red clay, that could take a while.

Other than that, though... Temperature would be more stable, because of the insulating properties, thermal mass, and the fact that the sunlight is only directly hitting the top of the container (which will be shaded by the plant in it) instead of being able to hit the side of that container.

I've seen cannabis grows in which buckets were placed up in among the branches of trees. Access was a b!tch (especially if you've got a few gallons of water in a backpack). And I don't think most of them ever received what we'd consider a sufficient amount of light - but then guerrilla grows often don't.

The main issue I see with burying the container in the ground is then you have to rely on the drainage properties of that ground. Well, it's worse than that in practice, because instead of the soil in your bucket being "open" to the soil that is the ground, the only access points are the drainage holes you've put in that bucket. So any excess water ends up having to trickle out slowly. If the ground happens to be heavy red clay, that could take a while.

Other than that, though... Temperature would be more stable, because of the insulating properties, thermal mass, and the fact that the sunlight is only directly hitting the top of the container (which will be shaded by the plant in it) instead of being able to hit the side of that container.

I've seen cannabis grows in which buckets were placed up in among the branches of trees. Access was a b!tch (especially if you've got a few gallons of water in a backpack). And I don't think most of them ever received what we'd consider a sufficient amount of light - but then guerrilla grows often don't.
Ive also seen somthing simalar with burlap bags and hemp rope and pulling em up to canapy and taking down to water and fertilize. But should of asked more questions cuz im not sure if he used plastic inside or was it a dense heavy soil mix to hold more water. It was nice and tight buds thou. Also in new england we have. Gypsy moth problems again,bad and good years. They killed a bunch of oaks and maple behind my home big 1 s too and they said the dont eat some things they eat everything including pine trees grapes lilac and probley cannabis lol

I just thought of this. Its also a factor that i garden all sorts of flowers trees and planters and containers on deck and all over yard so. Its never been a strech for me to pull off camo and people dont think twice when they see me planting or putting up a makeshift green house . My point is if your hobby is somthing else besides gardener it wouldnt hurt to play the roll. buy or make some containers plant some flowers, garden or fruit trees if you absolutly cant pull it off in woods or somewhere else and you believe you wont get discovered in nieghborhood

I too am doing my first backyard grow and have 11 plants out there. I too am from Southern Ontario and have a few factors making me a bit nervous.

I’m over my 4 plant limit (but will try applying for medical card)

I have neighbours to left and right of me. One just moved in and the other has been around for about a year and a bit, but they partake in the herb. Then I have townhouse behind me and they can all see in the yard (about 10 houses and one is a real nosy neighbour watches us when outside)

My brother is getting married in mid September and I will be absent for 3 days. Close to harvest and no supervision. Might see if my neighbour(s) can check in on them for me, and eventually pay them with some delicious harvested buds

Best of luck to all outdoor adventures here and abroad

Good luck! I hope you don't get caught, and that the plants are still around when you get back. I had plants stolen from my back porch last year while they still were in veg.

How about growing auto flowering outdoors to keep plant size down?
Two crops should be possible?

This year is my first try at growing and I was way over optimistic
on hours of sun in the back yard. Front has better sun but less privacy.

Back
Top Bottom