Respect Medical Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Wal-Mart recently fired one of its employees, Joseph Casias, after a drug test proved positive for marijuana use.

In Michigan, where Casias lives, it is legal to be prescribed medical marijuana, which Casias has been using to cope with his sinus cancer and brain tumor since last June.

A medical marijuana license is supposed to keep people who were authorized to carry it from being arrested, but nobody ever mentioned they can still be fired.

Casias shows up to work every day despite having a terminal illness, which could take his life at any moment, and just because he smokes a little dope to alleviate the excruciating pain, he is fired. Thank you, Wal-Mart, for again demonstrating such level-headed values.

I find it more than a little unreasonable that employers still have the authority to fire employees for marijuana use in a state where medical marijuana is legal.

“We’re sympathetic to Mr. Casias’ condition, but like other companies, we have to consider the overall safety of our customers and our associates, including Mr. Casias when making a difficult decision like this,” Wal-Mart spokesman Greg Rossiter said.

I am also sympathetic to Casias’ condition, which is why I probably would not fire him from the job that paid for the medicine needed to keep him functional in the face of such an illness.

Marijuana receives an unbelievably bad rap. It is the quintessential unspoken thing that everyone does, but nobody wants to admit. The hypocritical mini-van driving moms of the world love to label it as “evil,” when really the gin and tonic that gets them through daycare is more dangerous.

The criminalization of marijuana use is one of those silly American laws, similar to the 21-year-old drinking age, or the ban of gay marriage, in that nobody has a legitimate excuse for its existence.

Now that 14 states have marginally come to their senses in supporting medical marijuana, there is still the issue of employers not respecting the state law. Just as it would be wrong to fire someone for taking prescription medication, it should be wrong to fire someone for taking prescribed medical marijuana.

That Wal-Mart even has drug tests is an issue of concern. Personally, I think free weed should be given to employees to get them through the work day.

To be fair, I do not think companies should give up their right to drug test. However, testing positive on marijuana use is hardly a cause for concern. Marijuana is virtually the safest “drug” anyone can take. A company should not have the right to punish someone for doing what their doctor prescribed – this is not only cruel, but irresponsible.

The question is whether companies would still fire people for testing positive on drug tests if marijuana were to become legal, and not just for medical purposes. My guess is there would be a Great Depression-level epidemic of unemployment. It is time for America to face the facts – marijuana is here to stay.

You know what they say – a bowl a day keeps the doctor away.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: dailyevergreen.com
Author: Alex Gratzer
Copyright: 2010 WSU Student Publications Board

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Need to know if this employee was involved in a job related accident, or was just a random drug test? As a walmart employee I witnessed a lot of good people get fired caus of an accident, n the first thing they do is drug test em, makes an easy way out for walmart.

Marijuana receives an unbelievably bad rap. It is the quintessential unspoken thing that everyone does, but nobody wants to admit. The hypocritical mini-van driving moms of the world love to label it as "evil," when really the gin and tonic that gets them through daycare is more dangerous.

So true. I can count the number of people i know who don't smoke, at least occasionally, without taking off my shoes. I know a crapload of people. I have smoked with cops,judges,lawyers,stockbrokers,doctors,nurses you name it. What happens on the fishing trip/hunting camp stays at fishing trip/hunting camp.:Rasta:

That Wal-Mart even has drug tests is an issue of concern. Personally, I think free weed should be given to employees to get them through the work day.
When i still ran my business weed was part of the benefit package, had really loyal, happy employee's ;)

Well, just another reason to NOT shop at Wal-Mart!

Ya haven't set foot in one for almost a year now, I saw a documentary on there business practices and came to the conclusion that i can not in good conscious support them any more. They are a horrible evil company. People in other countries are dying and suffering because of how Wally World is run. Google and watch, WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price. It will open your eyes, to say the least. :reading420magazine:

Back
Top Bottom